BoatBanter.com

-   -   My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick???? (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/98842-my-new-boat-what-did-rb-pick.html)

Capt. JG October 10th 08 06:26 PM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 16:50:44 -0700 (PDT), "Capt. Rob"
wrote:

On Oct 9, 7:11 pm, wrote:

It really isn't meant as a daysailer at all. It would be quite a
handful to single hand, as well. What it was designed for, it does
very well. I can easily understand someone being attracted to it,
because it is a very nice and capable boat. I don't think Bob is going
to get one. I think he was just daydreaming out loud. He isn't really
going to have a use for a boat like that until Thomas is out on his
own. It's for crossing oceans, not sailing back and forth to Newport
once a year, and day trips the rest of the time.

Well, yes I WAS daydreaming to an extent. On the other hand few of use
our boats to anywhere near their potential. I mostly daysail my big
Beneteau and could easily be doing the same gig on a J27. On the other
hand I love my boat, and in fact just about ALL sailboats. A sailboat
is not only defined by how you use it. You can appreciate it on it's
own and enjoy it on many other levels. We had a fellow with an older
Valiant here for a while. He did not cruise any distances, just up and
down the sound. He waited for windy days to go for occasional day
sails. At other times he sat on his boat and worked on it and simply
loved it. That's as good an application for a boat as any and I have
enough self respect NOT to question how people enjoy the fruits of
their labor.
With that in mind my next boat will NOT be a the most practical
choice. I may choose a sea-boat like the Corbin because I find the
look and feel salty and charming. The extended sailing season and days
in the rain are also appealing via the pilothouse. Only a racer need
truly be concerned with making a "specific" pick. The coastal and
protected waters sailor can choose a boat on shear romance.
The Corbin IS high on my list.

RB

Uh, Bob. Your Beneteau is really not a "big" boat at all. In fact,
it's really what most would call a small 35. There are other 35's that
are subtantially bigger. The Corbin, by contrast is a very large 39.

Will you also being trading in your "big" EVO for a tri-axle dump
truck? LOL

Now that's funny.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

[email protected] October 10th 08 08:42 PM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

Dave wrote:
I think his point is that with experience you are likely to have a better
idea of what your ideal boat would be.

Well, sure.

... For example, when I bought my second
boat some 30+ years ago I had been reading in cruising magazines about the
virtues of a full keel boat, so looked for one (actually a cutaway, but you
get the point). I found that for the kind of sailing we do and the place we
do it a fin keel with a bit more of a turn of speed was much preferable. So
I learned from owning a 24' before springing for a slightly larger boat.

But JL probably doesn't want to wait 30 years before buying his "real"
cruising boat. And my point is that with a dearth of properly-equipped
boats to pick from, if he buys a 'learner' to save bucks, planning to
sell it in a dropping market... all he's going to gain is experience
in spending/losing money on a boat he doesn't really want... if he (or
anyone) spends a year or two sailing OPBs, doing deliveries, etc etc,
he's going to learn enough to make a very good start at picking out a
serious boat that will do what he wants.

If it turns out that a couple years of cruising on that boat makes him
want a different boat, then he's got about the same problem he had
trying to sell the 'learner' to move up, only the boat is likely to be
in much better shape and he'll have more contacts to help move it.

I couldn't really say how many boats I've owned over the years... to
be fair, most of them were small one-designs and none were in great
condition... but they were all the closest thing to the perfect boat
for me at the time I bought them. And that's the only way to choose
IMHO.

Maybe it's that I'm totally out of touch with the way most people like
to do things? A heck of a lot of people, men & women both, seem to
like to choose 'starter' spouses before getting serious about the real
thing.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Capt. JG October 10th 08 09:14 PM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

wrote in message
Dave wrote:
[...]

So, what you're saying is the BS' wife is a stepping stone? LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. Rob October 10th 08 10:36 PM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

On Oct 10, 4:14 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
wrote in message

Dave wrote:
[...]

Of course Gayanzy is jealous. The only time he's seen a woman's
genitalia was when he was born. Not that he's wanted to since!

RB

Marty[_2_] October 10th 08 11:13 PM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

Capt. Rob wrote:

Of course Gayanzy is jealous. The only time he's seen a woman's
genitalia was when he was born. Not that he's wanted to since!

Ooh, wow, a monumentally mature riposte, worthy of a 12 year old, and
not a very bright one at that.

Now Bob, remind me, who was it made some comment about being an adult?

Martin

Capt. JG October 11th 08 12:43 AM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

"Marty" wrote in message
Capt. Rob wrote:

Of course Gayanzy is jealous. The only time he's seen a woman's
genitalia was when he was born. Not that he's wanted to since!

Ooh, wow, a monumentally mature riposte, worthy of a 12 year old, and not
a very bright one at that.

Now Bob, remind me, who was it made some comment about being an adult?

Martin

Don't beat up on BS. He's got his share of problems, which are quite
obvious.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Marty[_2_] October 11th 08 12:47 AM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

Capt. JG wrote:
"Marty" wrote in message
Capt. Rob wrote:

Of course Gayanzy is jealous. The only time he's seen a woman's
genitalia was when he was born. Not that he's wanted to since!

Ooh, wow, a monumentally mature riposte, worthy of a 12 year old, and not
a very bright one at that.

Now Bob, remind me, who was it made some comment about being an adult?

Martin

Don't beat up on BS. He's got his share of problems, which are quite
obvious.

I'd say more than his share!

Cheers
Martin

Capt. JG October 11th 08 12:50 AM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

"Marty" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
"Marty" wrote in message
Capt. Rob wrote:

Of course Gayanzy is jealous. The only time he's seen a woman's
genitalia was when he was born. Not that he's wanted to since!
Ooh, wow, a monumentally mature riposte, worthy of a 12 year old, and
not a very bright one at that.

Now Bob, remind me, who was it made some comment about being an adult?

Martin

Don't beat up on BS. He's got his share of problems, which are quite
obvious.

I'd say more than his share!

Cheers
Martin

Yes, but he's a perfect bonehead. You see that he wins no matter what....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Marty[_2_] October 11th 08 01:34 AM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

Capt. JG wrote:
"Marty" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
"Marty" wrote in message
Capt. Rob wrote:

Of course Gayanzy is jealous. The only time he's seen a woman's
genitalia was when he was born. Not that he's wanted to since!
Ooh, wow, a monumentally mature riposte, worthy of a 12 year old, and
not a very bright one at that.

Now Bob, remind me, who was it made some comment about being an adult?

Martin

Don't beat up on BS. He's got his share of problems, which are quite
obvious.

I'd say more than his share!

Cheers
Martin

Yes, but he's a perfect bonehead. You see that he wins no matter what....

Hmmm, what a revoltin' development..

Cheers
Martin

Ringmaster October 11th 08 06:25 AM

My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

Doug, Not sure but I think they had a unfinished Flying Tiger 7.5 at
the show. The boat I saw that looked like a 7.5 was in the water but
had no rig, hatches, deck hardware etc. No rep was there so I'm not
sure. Looked like it would be a hoot. I checked out the new Andrews
28 and it looked like a winner.