posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob Capt. Rob is offline

Default My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

On Oct 8, 7:15 am, wrote:
On 7 Oct, 22:48, "Capt. Rob" wrote:

I wonder why you think that a Corbin 39 would be more suitable than
Heart of Gold for coastal cruising??

The reason you wonder that is because you've never spent a rainy week
on a boat, nor do you comprehend how a boat like the Corbin is far
superior underway in air above 15 knots, nor do you understand that
the Corbin is a different boat altogether. The 35s5 or your fun little
toy are great boats. I like them a lot, but they simply don't do
everything well.

Quite right! My boat wouldn't be perfect for a transatlantic
crossing in hurricane season. However, you don't want a boat
that is so slow that you cannot be bothered to attempt longer
trips.

Regards

Donal
--

Our boats are also far from perfect in colder weather or in the rain
or in heavy air. I love my 35s5 for her ability to respond and
accelerate, but that's something we can always enjoy aboard other
boats. The Corbin 39 is not slow and is a much better platform if
you're staying aboard for more than a weekend. This season I spent
considerable time sailing heavier designs and learned to appreciate
what they're all about. As an owner of a first series Beneteau I have
nothing bad to say about them. Yesterday I took heart of Gold out in
12-14 knots. I was alone so I just put up the big kevlar bat-wing
main. She sailed great and I had a nice relaxing time with the boat
moving well. The Corbin could NOT do this of course, but that's not
what she was built to do either. Last week I went out in a Cape Dory
33 in 25-30 knots. Sure, I could sail my 35s5 in those conditions, but
it would be hectic at times and I'd be reefed to the bone. The CD33
barely noticed with a single reef and the staysail.

RB

RB