posted to alt.sailing.asa,uk.rec.sailing

Default lanteen sails

In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:
Jonathan Ganz wrote:
Andy, just ignore him. He's a known troll over hear on alt.sailing.asa
and recently rec.boats.cruising. His real name is Neal Warren. He's
got a lot of, um, problems.

http://www.homestead.com/captneal/index.html

Sorry for the cross-post.

Oh it's HIM! I might have guessed...

Andy

Heh...

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing

Default LATEEN sails

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote...

If some people don't know the correct terminology then they should be
taught the correct terminology immediately, if not before and sooner than
that if possible. Because of one person who spelled a word incorrectly in
the subject line we have hundreds of subscribers seeing that incorrect
spelling over and over and thinking that's the way it should be. Shame on
anybody who allows something like that to slide. What's more important,
sparing the feelings of a numbskull or demonstrating correct terminology
to the maundering masses?

Why is it, then, that you failed to follow your own stated philosophy? You
offered NO correction, but only propagated the error.

BTW, why do you choose to propagate a misspelling of "invalid"?

posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing

"John Weiss" jrweiss98155nospamatnospamcomcastdotnospamnet wrote in
message . ..
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote...

If some people don't know the correct terminology then they should be
taught the correct terminology immediately, if not before and sooner
than that if possible. Because of one person who spelled a word
incorrectly in the subject line we have hundreds of subscribers
seeing that incorrect spelling over and over and thinking that's the
way it should be. Shame on anybody who allows something like that to
slide. What's more important, sparing the feelings of a numbskull or
demonstrating correct terminology to the maundering masses?

Why is it, then, that you failed to follow your own stated philosophy?
You offered NO correction, but only propagated the error.

I am capable of following my own stated philosophy via any means I
choose. I offered no immediate correction because it is ofttimes more
effective to allow somebody who makes a mistake to figure it out for
himself. It's like the old saying, “Give a man a fish; you have fed him
for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime." My
method was to correct his spelling for a lifetime by letting him figure
out his error. Am I not entitled to teach in the manner of my own
choosing? Am I to be second-guessed by those too tardy or too slothful
to catch the error themselves?

BTW, why do you choose to propagate a misspelling of "invalid"?

I choose to do so in order to make the word invalid even more invalid
and to disassociate myself as much as possible from the copy cat crowd.
Monkey see - monkey do is not for me.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing

On Mar 13, 3:44 am, "Jewel" wrote:
Anyone tell me how a vessel equipped with lanteen sails goes about without
dropping its sail and resetting it on the other side.

As others have said, you don't need to drop the rig
to go about if you have a small boat. The big arab
dhows do drop the rig. I imagine that they try to
tack as little as possible :-)

I have a little lateen rigged boat:
http://www.geocities.com/bruce_fountain/boats/

Actually that is my daughter's boat now (I am a bit
big for it) and it has a new sail, which did in fact
cost more than the boat. I am now back to sailing a laser.

I have to say that this rig is the easiest, most
well-behaved rig I have ever used. It points pretty
well too. I highly recommend it.

Richard wrote:
Since we're being pedantic...
The question was about tacking not spelling

He only knows how to spell; can't tack worth 2 cents...
posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing

Phantman wrote:
The original Lateen rigs, of a couple thousand years ago, DID drop
their sails to tack.

snip
(except I think it was Arab pirates that invented it)

dougking888 wrote:
Why pirates & not honest traders?

Maybe they pirated the idea from the honest traders? Anyhow, the
pirates made such good use of it, the honest traders were forced to
change their shipping strategy to numerous smaller ships and shipments
rather than large ones... to spread the risk.

Anyway, the lateen was devloped along the Med coast, possibly by the
Phoenicians.

Seems to me they'd definitely have the incentive. That galley rowing
all the time's a killer. Wikopedia says the Romans introduced it, and
later developed by Byzantines and Arabs. I guess it depends on who's
history you believe. -shrug- Personally, I don't remember. Happened
before I was born. Anyhow, whoever invented it, changed the nature of
sailing and international commerce from then on.

Rick
posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing

Scotty wrote:
I thought it was 'lateen' but I wanted to double check, so I
Googled 'Lanteen Sail'. There's a lot on 'Lanteen sails' on
the web. Are they all incorrect, or is it a case of tomato /
tomatoe?

Scotty

"Jewel" wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in

message

"Jewel" wrote in message

Anyone tell me how a vessel equipped with lanteen sails

goes about

without dropping its sail and resetting it on the other

side.

Many thanks

They don't go at all. There is no such thing as a

lanteen sail or a

lanteen rig.

Wilbur Hubbard

Sorry - of course I meant Lateen

You can Google anything with the incorrect spelling and it will do a
bolean search for the nearest, most correct answer and include your
spelling in the title line...
posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing

I thought it was 'lateen' but I wanted to double check, so I
Googled 'Lanteen Sail'. There's a lot on 'Lanteen sails' on
the web. Are they all incorrect, or is it a case of tomato /
tomatoe?

Scotty

"Jewel" wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in

message

lanteen sails Jewel General 56 March 21st 07 12:02 PM
Buying Used Sails Maxprop ASA 0 February 4th 07 04:32 PM
Our New Sails....on the way! Capt. Rob ASA 32 October 14th 06 09:21 PM
Evaluating old sails DSK Cruising 15 December 27th 05 07:13 AM
The Compleat FAQ for alt.sailing.asa JG ASA 48 January 6th 05 04:18 AM