posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing

Default LATEEN sails

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message

"John Weiss" jrweiss98155nospamatnospamcomcastdotnospamnet wrote in

BTW, why do you choose to propagate a misspelling of "invalid"?

I choose to do so in order to make the word invalid even more invalid and
to disassociate myself as much as possible from the copy cat crowd. Monkey
see - monkey do is not for me.

Nice explanation, Neal.

Think anyone will buy it?

Max

posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing

Default lanteen sails

"Quilljar" wrote in message
Scotty wrote:
tack or gybe, depending on the wind direction.

SV

"Jewel" wrote in message
Anyone tell me how a vessel equipped with lanteen sails goes about
without dropping its sail and resetting it on the other side.
Many thanks

Having had the honour and delight of sailing a felucca on the Nile, I can
say that it is self tacking and sooo simple:-)

Is the felucca a conversion of another type of boat with a lateen rig added,
or was it designed as a sailboat? I've always thought they look as if they
should have been powered by a small inboard.

Max

posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing

Why pirates & not honest traders?

Phantman wrote:
Maybe they pirated the idea from the honest traders? Anyhow, the
pirates made such good use of it, the honest traders were forced to
change their shipping strategy to numerous smaller ships and shipments
rather than large ones... to spread the risk.

True, at some points. Piracy has followed cycles (just like most
economic activity) and there were certainly periods in antiquity when
pirates were a very strong factor in shipping. Julius Ceasar was
captured and held for ransom by pirates in his early days.

Anyway, the lateen was devloped along the Med coast, possibly by the
Phoenicians.

Seems to me they'd definitely have the incentive. That galley rowing
all the time's a killer. Wikopedia says the Romans introduced it, and
later developed by Byzantines and Arabs. I guess it depends on who's
history you believe.

I'm not going to jump into a debate that maritime historians have
argued for decades (possibly centuries). But at this point, we have a
lot of physical remains of ships from antiquity, and find different
structures (including mast steps & partners) that could have supported
a fore-n-aft rig... and others that definitely could not have. For
example, the Egyptians did a lot of coastal trading about the eastern
Med but apparently did not use the lateen until long after other
people had proven it's worth. Personally my vote is for either the
Phoenicians or the Minoans, both of whom had extensive sea trade and
were technological innovators. The Romans were great at copying other
people's inventions, but were not really a nation of inventors &
tinkerers.

-shrug- Personally, I don't remember.

Hah!
If you were an *old* old salt, you'd have been there!

... Anyhow, whoever invented it, changed the nature of
sailing and international commerce from then on.

Agreed. Sailing to windward was in invention ranking right up there
with the wheel IMHO... and more important for many centuries, in terms
of tonnage carried.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 20:31:41 -0400, katy

wrote:

Scotty wrote:
I thought it was 'lateen' but I wanted to double check,

so I
Googled 'Lanteen Sail'. There's a lot on 'Lanteen

sails' on
the web. Are they all incorrect, or is it a case of

tomato /
tomatoe?

You can Google anything with the incorrect spelling and

it will do a
bolean search for the nearest, most correct answer and

include your
spelling in the title line...

They call that "katyserch" (sic)

BwaHahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

tassail (Thom Stewart) wrote:
On the larger Trukiss Rig

I Googled "Trukiss Rig" and it popped up a page that said:
"Did you mean 'Trucks' Rig?" LoL!

they use almost a Square Sail and when they
tack, they rotate the Booms on the Mast letting the Luff become the
Tack. That is the Chinese Fire Drill. Releasing the tack ends and
drawing the new tack to a point

I was joking about the origination of the "fire drill" term. I can't
tell if you are joking or not. But the Trukiss Rig you describe would
certainly qualify for the designation imho.

Rick

posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing

Default LATEEN sails, LATEEN sails, LATEEN sails...

Maxprop wrote:

What's more important is being civil. Usenet is chock full of gold-plated
assholes. No point in adding yourself to the list.

Max

He's been on that list for quite some time...
posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing

In article . com,
Frogwatch wrote:

Anyone tell me how a vessel equipped with lanteen sails goes about
without dropping its sail and resetting it on the other side.
Many thanks

Having built and sailed two small sailboats with LATEEN rigs, I can
answer. You tack just as you would in any other sailboat. Both spars
of the sail (boom and gaff) are one side of the mast on either tack.
This does not matter at all because the pportion of the sail
immediately adjacent to the mast is very small and low compared to the
huge portion of the sail that is far from and undistorted by the
mast.. A Lateen rig is a great way to get a huge sail on a small boat
without using a tall mast.

It's pretty much the same way of sailing as a standing lugsail - you go
about but leave the sail where it was. It means that the rig is less
efficient on one tack than t'other, but that's something that you just
live with.

Of course, with a big enough crew you /could/ drop the sail, swing the
yard to the other side of the mast and re-hoist. This is the same process
as is done with balanced lug rig - it gets a boost in efficiency in
sailing at the cost of going about more slowly - and of carrying many
extra pairs of hands.

As the other poster said, it's a great way to get a large sail area on a
small boat. Just be careful gybing.

--
Andy Breen ~ Not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Feng Shui: an ancient oriental art for extracting
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
It's like the old saying, “Give a man a fish; you have fed him
for today. Teach a man to fish;

..... and he'll sit in a boat all day drinking beer!"

Cheers
Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Maxprop wrote:

Is the felucca a conversion of another type of boat with a lateen rig added,
or was it designed as a sailboat? I've always thought they look as if they
should have been powered by a small inboard.

Max, you should have a look at
http://www.answers.com/topic/felucca...ertip:continue

fairly interesting, didn't realize there was an American fleet at one
time.

Cheers
Marty

On 13 Mar, 02:36, wrote:

That galley rowing
all the time's a killer. Wikopedia says the Romans introduced it,

I've just read a biography of Boudica. That concurs that the Romans
were the first to come up with Galleys with multiple tiers of oars
giving a serious alternative power source. Designed for the first
'invasion' of Britain but first used to kick Gaul arse on the French/
Spanish Coast. It seems the technique was to load up the boats with
soldiers, wait for a flat calm then row about your opponent's (poorly
manned) stationary ships dealing with them one by one.

The Romans knew damn all about boats and damn all about seamanship
outside of the Med. Apparently they just copied their boats from the
Greeks, and added oars. Great example of fresh thinking, and coming up
with your own solution based on you strengths. Apparently there's no
evidence they were manned by slaves.

lanteen sails Jewel General 56 March 21st 07 12:02 PM
Buying Used Sails Maxprop ASA 0 February 4th 07 04:32 PM
Our New Sails....on the way! Capt. Rob ASA 32 October 14th 06 09:21 PM
Evaluating old sails DSK Cruising 15 December 27th 05 07:13 AM
The Compleat FAQ for alt.sailing.asa JG ASA 48 January 6th 05 04:18 AM