posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Our New Sails....on the way!

With a few weeks of sailing left I'm really excited to try the new
sails. I bought them used. They have one full season on them and I have
a money back guarantee from my loft that they'll rate 9 out of 10 and
essentially be new. I've saved thousands of dollars in the process, but
I'll be adding a new lazy jack system instead of a Stackpack as
originally planned.
These are the EXACT sails.

http://www.somersetsails.com/sails/Beneteau_35S5.jpg

Main and genny are like new. I've had the 135 cut down to 115%. The
original owner is selling his boat for a smaller racer, and then traded
the nearly new kevlar/mylar sails for credit on his next boat's sails.
The loft gave me his # and he said the sails were great, but he didn't
want to give them away with the boat. I consulted my local loft on
these and they said I'd be crazy to not buy them at the price I was
getting. I also spoke to my local racing buddies and of course they
were all thumbs up on the deal. Since I have the MB guarantee I feel
pretty excited about it! I paid 1200.00 plus trading in a J35 Kevlar
used genny I was about to sell on ebay. The loft made adjustments and
threw in a lazyjack system that normally costs 300.00. Since I paid
nothing for the J35 sail I did rather well to say the least. The cool
thing is that I sailed a J34c before buying the 35s5 and she had these
sails...and they were awesome! 1200 bucks for these sails and lazy
jacks is quite a deal. My luck on boats and gear seems to be always in.
Since we don't race and we're not terribly hard on sails, they should
last a while and be a lot of fun. Old Thom doesn't like the look of
such modern sails, but I love them and think they look great with more
modern designs.
I'll post pics and additional info when the sails get here! The main
ships today and the genny on Thursday.
That's the news!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Our Used Sails....on the way!

Capt. Rob wrote:

Nice looking sails Rob.

Joe

[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Our new-to-us Sails....on the way!

Joe wrote:
Capt. Rob wrote:

Nice looking sails Rob.

Thanks, Joe. I can't wait to get them up....even if the season is
nearly over.

RB

posted to alt.sailing.asa

These are the EXACT sails.

It's obvious why somebody got rid of them. The main is about a foot
too small on the hoist.

35s5: used sails are good enough for the back of the pack

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Ringmaster wrote:
These are the EXACT sails.

It's obvious why somebody got rid of them. The main is about a foot
too small on the hoist.

Everyone knew pics of my nice sails would ram a nail right through
Sloco's head and into his ancient and ugly boat! Took about 4 seconds
to find pics of the 35s5 rig....

http://home.att.net/~captnerdo/images/Footloos.gif

http://hometown.aol.com/bobsprit/images/35s5spin.jpg

Oops! Looks like they all look the same as the shot with my Kevlar
main! Sloco sure knows his boats!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Edgar wrote:
You have bought a BLACK mainsail??

It's more of a smoked look. It's AKS 18 from Contender (Aramide
(Kevlar) fibre), which is 5.5 ounce for boats to 15000 lbs. The
Pentax-Mylar jib is 4.9oz Pentax sandwiched in Mylar film with
superlight White UV cover, and somewhat lighter in color. Of course
these are sails well beyond any of my needs, but they will also be fun
and have some longevity for our light sailing...and the price is
fantastic since I was able to trade a sail I couldn't use for anything.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Boob****, I don't know why you posted additional pictures along with
your crying. You stated the first pictures were "the exact sails" and
they were about a foot shy of full hoist. Are you going to tell us the
black band is in the wrong place? The sailmaker ****ed
up..........sorry and that's why somebody got you to buy them. Did you
hoist them before you paid? Sucker.

35s5 POS

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...

Edgar wrote:
You have bought a BLACK mainsail??

It's more of a smoked look. It's AKS 18 from Contender (Aramide
(Kevlar) fibre), which is 5.5 ounce for boats to 15000 lbs. The
Pentax-Mylar jib is 4.9oz Pentax sandwiched in Mylar film with
superlight White UV cover, and somewhat lighter in color. Of course
these are sails well beyond any of my needs, but they will also be fun
and have some longevity for our light sailing...and the price is
fantastic since I was able to trade a sail I couldn't use for anything.

Well, you may well do some 'light' sailing but I
suspect that the longevity of your sails is more likely to be determined by
the number of hours you expose them to UV rays in sunlight-especially the
black-or near-black- one. You would have done better to get a set of white
conventional sails.
Longevity is the last thing people who buy Kevlar sails are interested in

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Ringmaster wrote:
Boob****, I don't know why you posted additional pictures along with
your crying. You stated the first pictures were "the exact sails" and
they were about a foot shy of full hoist.

Wow! Look how bitter and ****ed off you are! You're still saying the
hoist is short after I posted pics showing the exact same hoist on two
more 35s5's??? Oh boy...don't let photos sway you...they must ALL be
short on the hoist! And it's the same on mine.
You must be really stewing!!! Face it, slowco. I have the faster newer
nicer boat and have sails nicer as well. The main is sitting right here
and you'll crap a school bus when you see the pics!

RB
35s5
NY

Sails & Sailmaking manual 1904 FA JaneyP Boat Building 0 December 30th 05 02:24 AM
Evaluating old sails DSK Cruising 15 December 27th 05 07:13 AM
The Compleat FAQ for alt.sailing.asa JG ASA 48 January 6th 05 04:18 AM
HELP! Need suggestions on making mast & sails sandy Boat Building 10 February 8th 04 04:24 PM
Neal's new Sails Donal ASA 10 January 31st 04 09:54 PM