posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Our Used Sails....on the way!

Capt. Rob wrote:

Nice looking sails Rob.

Joe

With a few weeks of sailing left I'm really excited to try the new
sails. I bought them used. They have one full season on them and I have
a money back guarantee from my loft that they'll rate 9 out of 10 and
essentially be new. I've saved thousands of dollars in the process, but
I'll be adding a new lazy jack system instead of a Stackpack as
originally planned.
These are the EXACT sails.

http://www.somersetsails.com/sails/Beneteau_35S5.jpg

Main and genny are like new. I've had the 135 cut down to 115%. The
original owner is selling his boat for a smaller racer, and then traded
the nearly new kevlar/mylar sails for credit on his next boat's sails.
The loft gave me his # and he said the sails were great, but he didn't
want to give them away with the boat. I consulted my local loft on
these and they said I'd be crazy to not buy them at the price I was
getting. I also spoke to my local racing buddies and of course they
were all thumbs up on the deal. Since I have the MB guarantee I feel
pretty excited about it! I paid 1200.00 plus trading in a J35 Kevlar
used genny I was about to sell on ebay. The loft made adjustments and
threw in a lazyjack system that normally costs 300.00. Since I paid
nothing for the J35 sail I did rather well to say the least. The cool
thing is that I sailed a J34c before buying the 35s5 and she had these
sails...and they were awesome! 1200 bucks for these sails and lazy
jacks is quite a deal. My luck on boats and gear seems to be always in.
Since we don't race and we're not terribly hard on sails, they should
last a while and be a lot of fun. Old Thom doesn't like the look of
such modern sails, but I love them and think they look great with more
modern designs.
I'll post pics and additional info when the sails get here! The main
ships today and the genny on Thursday.
That's the news!

RB
35s5