posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default lanteen sails

Frogwatch,

Before you cut off those Lateen Booms, thinks a bit. The Lateen Rig uses
a very simple mast; No sail track, No Boom jaws, No Gaff Jaws, No
complicated rigging on the gaff to shape the sail.

The Lateen is a very simple sail and by bringing the Booms together
with the sail coming to a point it can be kept simple.
AND

Watch Neal, using Wilbur's name, come Stalking with some kind of STUPID
comment(G)

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomJazz
http://community.webtv.net/tassail/AGooddayTODAY

posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing

On Mar 12, 3:45 pm,
"Jewel" wrote:
Anyone tell me how a vessel equipped with lanteen sails goes about
without dropping its sail and resetting it on the other side.

"Frogwatch" wrote:
You tack just as you would in any other sailboat. Both spars
of the sail (boom and gaff) are one side of the mast on either tack.

If you 're thinking Sunfish, yes. This is a modern rig for recreation,
and very different from the old-timey working vessels lateen rigs.

Phantman wrote:
I can only add, there can be a slight difference in the way the boat
sails (starboard vs port tack) due to the lump (or lack thereof)
caused by the mast against (or not) the sail. The difference on a
Sunfish, for example, is hardly noticable and of no concern unless
you're seriously into racing.

Even then, it's of no consequence because you're going to be racing
other Sunfish, or lese under a handicap that takes the rig into
account.

A long time ago I raced Sunfish pretty seriously, and tried the gaff
on one side and then the other. So did a LOT of other people. None
noticed any difference... a far greater difference is in where the
halyard & gooseneck are secured, and in how flat you hold the boat..

Phantman wrote:
The original Lateen rigs, of a couple thousand years ago, DID drop
their sails to tack. Thence came the origination of the term "Chinese
firedrill" ;-)

(except I think it was Arab pirates that invented it)

Why pirates & not honest traders?

Anyway, the lateen was devloped along the Med coast, possibly by the
Phoenicians. It is notably closer-winded than the square sail,
especially with ancient technology & materials. It is a sail for heavy
cargo ships which do not want to carry a lot of oarsmen to get to
windward... rowing galleys always carried square sails becuase they
would only sail downwind & in fair weather. In ancient/classic times,
the lateen was always boomless. A few classic lateens were rigged to
dip the gaff, ie swing it vertical and then around to set on the new
leeward side. Most of the ones that did this were obligated to gybe
instead of tack when doing so.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing

Scotty wrote:
tack or gybe, depending on the wind direction.

SV

"Jewel" wrote in message
Anyone tell me how a vessel equipped with lanteen sails goes about
without dropping its sail and resetting it on the other side.
Many thanks

Having had the honour and delight of sailing a felucca on the Nile, I can
say that it is self tacking and sooo simple:-)

--
Sincerely,
Quilljar

posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing

On the sails I have made, I have considered cutting off the portion of
the sail that overlaps the mast but have not done so yet.

"broadssailor" wrote:
Then it would become a lugsail, surely?

I dunno about surely, but the Sunfish type lateen does resemble a
balance lug more than a classic lateen rig.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

Actually, I was more concerned with correcting a common mistake. We
sailors need to take pride in the proper use of sailing related
terminology.

Wilbur,

If that is what you intended it didn't come across like that. I knew
immediately what the OP meant, even though I have never heard that
mistake before; if you did too, there are gentler ways of letting down
someone new to the sport.

Regards
Andy

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Rick,

On the larger Trukiss Rig they use almost a Square Sail and when they
tack, they rotate the Booms on the Mast letting the Luff become the
Tack. That is the Chinese Fire Drill. Releasing the tack ends and
drawing the new tack to a point

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomJazz
http://community.webtv.net/tassail/AGooddayTODAY

posted to alt.sailing.asa,uk.rec.sailing

Jonathan Ganz wrote:
Andy, just ignore him. He's a known troll over hear on alt.sailing.asa
and recently rec.boats.cruising. His real name is Neal Warren. He's
got a lot of, um, problems.

http://www.homestead.com/captneal/index.html

Sorry for the cross-post.

Oh it's HIM! I might have guessed...

Andy

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message

"Jewel" wrote in message

Anyone tell me how a vessel equipped with lanteen sails goes about
without dropping its sail and resetting it on the other side.
Many thanks

They don't go at all. There is no such thing as a lanteen sail or a
lanteen rig.

Wilbur Hubbard

Sorry - of course I meant Lateen

Everyone else here knew what you meant...as did that poster but he chose
to be a butthead instead of being decent and replying with a suitable
answer.

Actually, I was more concerned with correcting a common mistake. We
sailors need to take pride in the proper use of sailing related
terminology.

Wilbur Hubbard

Absolutely right of course. What he meant to say was...

"he chose to be an arsehole instead of being decent and replying with a
suitable answer."

Honestly, some people just don't know the correct terminology. Now we have
the pedantry over, can we get back to sailing?

Floatything

"Jewel" wrote in message

[...]

I initially wanted to rig my MiniCups with a conventional Laser style
sail and jib but then calculated how high it would have to be. Now I
love my Lateen sails and rig. I experimented with shaping a lateen
sail, doesnt work meaning an easy to make flat cut sail works best. I
have figured out a way to make it reefable but havent done it yet.

lanteen sails Jewel General 56 March 21st 07 12:02 PM
Buying Used Sails Maxprop ASA 0 February 4th 07 04:32 PM
Our New Sails....on the way! Capt. Rob ASA 32 October 14th 06 09:21 PM
Evaluating old sails DSK Cruising 15 December 27th 05 07:13 AM
The Compleat FAQ for alt.sailing.asa JG ASA 48 January 6th 05 04:18 AM