posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing

Default lanteen sails

Anyone tell me how a vessel equipped with lanteen sails goes about without
dropping its sail and resetting it on the other side.
Many thanks

"Jewel" wrote in message
Anyone tell me how a vessel equipped with lanteen sails goes about
without dropping its sail and resetting it on the other side.
Many thanks

They don't go at all. There is no such thing as a lanteen sail or a
lanteen rig.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing
jg jg is offline

Jewel wrote:
Anyone tell me how a vessel equipped with lanteen sails goes about without
dropping its sail and resetting it on the other side.
Many thanks

That's lateen. They generally just have a "bad tack" with the sail
pressed against the mast, but I'm sure I have seen dhows bring the base
of the yard around behind the mast so it sets right on either tack.
posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing

On Mar 12, 2:55 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Jewel" wrote in message

Anyone tell me how a vessel equipped with lanteen sails goes about
without dropping its sail and resetting it on the other side.
Many thanks

They don't go at all. There is no such thing as a lanteen sail or a
lanteen rig.

Wilbur Hubbard

Having built and sailed two small sailboats with LATEEN rigs, I can
answer. You tack just as you would in any other sailboat. Both spars
of the sail (boom and gaff) are one side of the mast on either tack.
This does not matter at all because the pportion of the sail
immediately adjacent to the mast is very small and low compared to the
huge portion of the sail that is far from and undistorted by the
mast.. A Lateen rig is a great way to get a huge sail on a small boat
without using a tall mast.
On the sails I have made, I have considered cutting off the portion of
the sail that overlaps the mast but have not done so yet.

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message

"Jewel" wrote in message
Anyone tell me how a vessel equipped with lanteen sails goes about
without dropping its sail and resetting it on the other side.
Many thanks

They don't go at all. There is no such thing as a lanteen sail or a
lanteen rig.

Wilbur Hubbard

Sorry - of course I meant Lateen

"Jewel" wrote in message

Anyone tell me how a vessel equipped with lanteen sails goes about
without dropping its sail and resetting it on the other side.
Many thanks

They don't go at all. There is no such thing as a lanteen sail or a
lanteen rig.

Wilbur Hubbard

Sorry - of course I meant Lateen

Everyone else here knew what you meant...as did that poster but he chose
to be a butthead instead of being decent and replying with a suitable
answer.

"Frogwatch" wrote:
You tack just as you would in any other sailboat. Both spars
of the sail (boom and gaff) are one side of the mast on either tack.

I can only add, there can be a slight difference in the way the boat
sails (starboard vs port tack) due to the lump (or lack thereof)
caused by the mast against (or not) the sail. The difference on a
Sunfish, for example, is hardly noticable and of no concern unless
you're seriously into racing.

The original Lateen rigs, of a couple thousand years ago, DID drop
their sails to tack. Thence came the origination of the term "Chinese
firedrill" ;-)

(except I think it was Arab pirates that invented it)

Rick
posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing

On the sails I have made, I have considered cutting off the portion of
the sail that overlaps the mast but have not done so yet.

Then it would become a lugsail, surely?

"Jewel" wrote in message

Anyone tell me how a vessel equipped with lanteen sails goes about
without dropping its sail and resetting it on the other side.
Many thanks

They don't go at all. There is no such thing as a lanteen sail or a
lanteen rig.

Wilbur Hubbard

Sorry - of course I meant Lateen

Everyone else here knew what you meant...as did that poster but he
chose to be a butthead instead of being decent and replying with a
suitable answer.

Actually, I was more concerned with correcting a common mistake. We
sailors need to take pride in the proper use of sailing related
terminology.

Wilbur Hubbard

lanteen sails Jewel General 56 March 21st 07 12:02 PM
Buying Used Sails Maxprop ASA 0 February 4th 07 04:32 PM
Our New Sails....on the way! Capt. Rob ASA 32 October 14th 06 09:21 PM
Evaluating old sails DSK Cruising 15 December 27th 05 07:13 AM
The Compleat FAQ for alt.sailing.asa JG ASA 48 January 6th 05 04:18 AM