posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing
[email protected] brucef@eudoramail.com is offline

Default lanteen sails

On Mar 13, 3:44 am, "Jewel" wrote:
Anyone tell me how a vessel equipped with lanteen sails goes about without
dropping its sail and resetting it on the other side.

As others have said, you don't need to drop the rig
to go about if you have a small boat. The big arab
dhows do drop the rig. I imagine that they try to
tack as little as possible :-)

I have a little lateen rigged boat:
http://www.geocities.com/bruce_fountain/boats/

Actually that is my daughter's boat now (I am a bit
big for it) and it has a new sail, which did in fact
cost more than the boat. I am now back to sailing a laser.

I have to say that this rig is the easiest, most
well-behaved rig I have ever used. It points pretty
well too. I highly recommend it.