posted to alt.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,aus.sport.sailing,uk.rec.sailing
[email protected] PhantMan@nospam.invalid is offline

Default lanteen sails

Phantman wrote:
The original Lateen rigs, of a couple thousand years ago, DID drop
their sails to tack.

snip
(except I think it was Arab pirates that invented it)

dougking888 wrote:
Why pirates & not honest traders?

Maybe they pirated the idea from the honest traders? Anyhow, the
pirates made such good use of it, the honest traders were forced to
change their shipping strategy to numerous smaller ships and shipments
rather than large ones... to spread the risk.

Anyway, the lateen was devloped along the Med coast, possibly by the
Phoenicians.

Seems to me they'd definitely have the incentive. That galley rowing
all the time's a killer. Wikopedia says the Romans introduced it, and
later developed by Byzantines and Arabs. I guess it depends on who's
history you believe. -shrug- Personally, I don't remember. Happened
before I was born. Anyhow, whoever invented it, changed the nature of
sailing and international commerce from then on.

Rick