posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default replace mainsail halyard

Parachute cord is good for this. You can rub it with paraffin (shades
of Tadpole and his tallow!) and it will slide very smoothly over
almost anything.

Charlie Morgan wrote:
So, which is it Doug?

Which is what?

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message

Wouldn't hold...ours has to run through a plastic sleeve

all the way up
the mast...keeps things from banging against each other in

there....

Does that cause resistance? That's not good, is it?
BTW, I too have internal halyards.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

No, it was the scum bag known as BB.

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
message ...

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
CWM

Sorry, I must have remembered wrong. It looks like it was

Bobsprit who
wished Old Thom dead. Here's one of Thom's old posts

indicating this was
the case. He mentioned BB ion the post and that's probably

why I
remembered it wrong.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s.../msg/0f1beb993
a31fd51?dmode=source&hl=en

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
message ...

The wire halyards on my boat are over 25 years old and

have yet to
develop the first meat hook.

Lack of use will do that.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

Wouldn't hold...ours has to run through a plastic sleeve

all the way up

the mast...keeps things from banging against each other in

there....

Does that cause resistance? That's not good, is it?
BTW, I too have internal halyards.

Scotty

No...there's no resistance...

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
message ...

The wire halyards on my boat are over 25 years old and

have yet to
develop the first meat hook.

Lack of use will do that.

They get plenty of use. But they are the wire spliced to line type. The
winch end is line which I've replaced a couple of times. (If you can't
do a wire to rope splice you are no sailor.) It takes the wear. The
sheaves at the masthead are compound and large diameter. They fit the
line but have a thinner grove in the center that fits the wire. The wire
wraps around about a four-inch diameter. The sheaves are GRP and very
easy on the wire. Modern day yachts don't bother with quality and
practicality like the older yachts. Customers are generally too stupid
to know what's best. They are more interested in the stereo system and
refrigerator.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 1, 4:38 pm, Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 16:43:53 -0500, Jeff wrote:
* Charlie Morgan wrote, On 3/1/2007 2:45 PM:

You're the one adding all the extra steps, after Jeff told
him exactly what to do.

On many boats, you either have to cut off the splice/shackle end or
use a messenger wire from the other direction.

There can certainly be a variety of different setups. However, this
touches on an interesting question: Which is better, splicing on the
shackle, or tying it? My preference is for tying, using a stunsail
tackbend (buntline hitch) which will cinch down on the shackle and
hold it tight. The knot takes up little space, while a splice could
potentially get jammed in the sheave. Also, with a knot its easy to
"end for end" periodically.

I may consider that idea the next time I replace a halyard. Do you find the knot
gets in the way at times when trying to use a shackle key? I have a number of
halyards that are all clipped to a mast ring when not in use. That might add to
the crowding there, as well. My other question would be the relative strength of
a well done splice versus a well tied knot. I tend to think the splice would be
stronger.

CWM- Hide quoted text -

Instead of doing it half assed, get stainless cable with a swedged on
end with a toggle and halyard shackle.

Sheeeze............ leave it to a C&C owner to tie his sails on with
a knot.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Scotty wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

Wouldn't hold...ours has to run through a plastic sleeve

all the way up

the mast...keeps things from banging against each other in

there....

Does that cause resistance? That's not good, is it?
BTW, I too have internal halyards.

Scotty

No...there's no resistance...

You said tape wouldn't work because of the resistance of passing through
the plastic sleeve. Then you turn around and say there isn't any
resistance. Which is it. You can't have it both ways.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 1, 6:07 pm, dougking...@yahoo.

I have also seen wire halyards cut thru lines inside masts,

Only fools have lines inside the mast IMO.

and saw
grooves in the exit boxes of the mast itself.

Must have been a cheap mast..was it a C&C by chance?

Wire has it's place but
there is much better stuff for running rigging these days.

Not for main and mizzen halyards IMO. Never wears out... no knots,
less windage, stronger, all around better. But you need the proper
wire winches.

Joe

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Scotty wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

Wouldn't hold...ours has to run through a plastic sleeve

all the way up

the mast...keeps things from banging against each other

in

there....

Does that cause resistance? That's not good, is it?
BTW, I too have internal halyards.

Scotty

No...there's no resistance...

Well then,duct tape should be sufficient. But sew it to be
sure!

Scotty

Winchless jib halyard Roger Long Cruising 0 January 23rd 06 10:40 AM
Winchless Halyard Roger Long Cruising 10 July 6th 05 09:47 PM
Main halyard winch, 1sp. or 2sp? Ilv2sl Cruising 30 September 18th 03 06:08 AM
How to replace carburator fuel filter on OMC cobra 4.3 gadomra General 0 August 29th 03 04:02 AM
$#%~#^%@ Halyard piston Shackle Lanyard! Steve Cruising 3 July 19th 03 07:12 PM