Roger Long

Default Winchless jib halyard

About a year ago, I proposed this halyard arrangement for our roller
furling jib:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Halyard2.jpg

It was a good decision. There is one less winch on the mast to foul
the jib sheets, the sail cover fits better, and it's a nice clean
arrangement. Some of you were right however, it doesn't have enough
power. I used a double block for the whip but the turning block for
the halyard cuts the power in half. I put second, smaller, double
block on the end. With some swigging and sweating, this was enough
power, barely.

Here's what I'm going to do this year:

Schaefer and Barton both make cleats on slides designed to go on a
Genoa track for spring lines and other purposes. I plan to put a 2'
length of 1" Genoa track on the mast with one of these cleats that
has the locking mechanism removed or disengaged. The tackle whip will
have a short rope loop on the end. Slide the cleat to the stop, cleat
the halyard as with as much tension as you can get by hand. Then, put
the rope loop over the cleat and use the tackle for final tension
adjustment. With a three part block, it should be about right for a
32 foot boat when pulling directly on the halyard.

--

Roger Long