posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default replace mainsail halyard

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message
. ..

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in

That's entirely acceptable. You're using the bosun's chair

as a handy
place to keep your tools and supplies and to perhaps rest

up a bit. But
you go aloft using the steps and you descend using the

steps. For time
consuming or major jobs that's a good way to do them. I

have found that
many jobs are of short duration. Things such as removing a

defective VHF
antenna and replacing it with a new one, lubing the

anemometer sending
unit, straightening the arms on the Windex if a big bird

bends them,
cleaning and waxing the standing rigging, lubricating the

sheaves,
replacing a burned out steaming light bulb,

You go through a lot of steaming lights, eh?

Only when the mainmast gets struck by lightning. That would be twice in
twenty years.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

If you're using the spliced-on shackle on the halyard to secure the
halyard to your bosun's chair, you're a bigger fool than I've been
thinking you are. Hope your insurance is paid up.

Anybody using a bosun's chair at all isn't too bright. A bosun's chair,
while quaint is another "thing of the past." Every serious sailor has mast
steps of one sort or another installed. Serious sailors who know what
they're doing have installed folding mast steps. These don't represent a
snag for halyards or sails and they reduce windage aloft. This nonsense of
winching somebody up in a bosun's chair is repair by committee. It is a
foolish and dangerous act. One man should be able to make his way safely
and unassisted up the mast in all but the roughest of conditions. Mast
steps are the only way one man can do this.

That's a valid argument, but most people wouldn't bother with mast steps. A
bosun's chair is a quicker, less-expensive solution.

What do you think of the self-climbing systems, such as the ATN Top Climber?

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I respect what I can discern of your sailing skill, but what's with the
cartoon colors on your boat?

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 2, 6:32 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/138...63212926yBMEXN

Do you have bow thrusters?

Wilbur Hubbard

No..You don't need a bow thruster on anything under 140' IMO
What you see is the Hawse pipe, in that picture we were racing
downwind so I removed the anchor to reduce drag.
The pipe and doubler you see are all Monel.

Joe

--
jlrogers±³©

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
t...
I respect what I can discern of your sailing skill, but what's with the
cartoon colors on your boat?

Red with yellow trim looks great. Joe's boat looks great. That yellow
chevron on the bow looks like what one would see on the bow of a
Nordhaven. Nordhaven's are highly respected yachts. Mostly motor yachts
but I do think they make a motor-sailer model. Personally, I wouldn't be
caught dead in any pilothouse sailboat but that's just a matter of
personal safety and preference, not to mention respect for the
traditions of sailing. The quickest way to turn a sailor into a
motorhead and then a lubber is trying to sail a pilot house. You lose
touch with sailing. Just look what happened to Old Thom. From the very
first minute the poor man stepped aboard that Gulf 30 floating
condominium of his he started turning into a motorhead and a lubber.
It's been scientifically proven, just like man-caused global warming's
been proven, that pilothouse motor sailers are hazardous to your sailing
health. The government should mandate a big sticker be displayed on each
and every pilothouse motor sailor. "Caution: being seen in this vessel
will cause others to disrespect you. It will also cause you to start
being a lubber."

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 3, 9:13 am, "jlrogers±³©" wrote:
I respect what I can discern of your sailing skill, but what's with the
cartoon colors on your boat?

Yellow and Red are known to be the most noticeable colors at sea
after international orange.

Blue is bad luck on a boat, and white is boring.

Shell oil uses the same colors and the USMC. You would not beleive how
many jarheads ask me if I served in the USMC.

Besides I like Cartoons: Check out this classic, it's one of my
favorates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfyenfUBNfs

Joe

Do you have bow thrusters?

Wilbur Hubbard

No..You don't need a bow thruster on anything under 140' IMO
What you see is the Hawse pipe, in that picture we were racing
downwind so I removed the anchor to reduce drag.
The pipe and doubler you see are all Monel.

Joe

--
jlrogers±³©

Winchless jib halyard Roger Long Cruising 0 January 23rd 06 10:40 AM
Winchless Halyard Roger Long Cruising 10 July 6th 05 09:47 PM
Main halyard winch, 1sp. or 2sp? Ilv2sl Cruising 30 September 18th 03 06:08 AM
How to replace carburator fuel filter on OMC cobra 4.3 gadomra General 0 August 29th 03 04:02 AM
$#%~#^%@ Halyard piston Shackle Lanyard! Steve Cruising 3 July 19th 03 07:12 PM