Ilv2sl

Default Main halyard winch, 1sp. or 2sp?

I'm going to replace the old wire main halyard winch, on my 35' sloop, with a
line winch. Just wondering if there is a need for a 2sp. winch, for halyard use
only. Other 2sp. winches are available for lifting, hoisting aloft, etc.
Thanks to all.

Armond Perretta

Rick & Linda Bernard wrote:

... I have never heard anyone say, "Geez this winch
is too powerful."

Nor have I. I have, however, heard several people say: "Geez, this winch is
too expensive."

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Larry W4CSC

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 07:28:24 -0400, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

Rick & Linda Bernard wrote:

... I have never heard anyone say, "Geez this winch
is too powerful."

Nor have I. I have, however, heard several people say: "Geez, this winch is
too expensive."

I've even heard, "Geez, this winch HANDLE is too expensive!"

Usually right before it slips, bounces on the toerail on its way over
the side....(c;

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?
Glenn Ashmore

Armond Perretta wrote:
Rick & Linda Bernard wrote:

... I have never heard anyone say, "Geez this winch
is too powerful."

Nor have I. I have, however, heard several people say: "Geez, this winch is
too expensive."

Tell me about it!!

While on the subject what do you guys feel is the maximum force you can
put on a winch handle? The "generally accepted" formula for
determining winch ratio is (SA*6)/35 assuming 35 pounds being the
maximum force. With a 500 sq.ft. foretriangle that works out to 86:1.
That is a $5,000 winch!!! A 64 cost about $3500 which is the limit of
my buget but the handle force would be 48 lb.

I'm thinking I may just head up a little, trim and fall off and save
$3-4K. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Larry W4CSC

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:03:05 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

While on the subject what do you guys feel is the maximum force you can
put on a winch handle? The "generally accepted" formula for
determining winch ratio is (SA*6)/35 assuming 35 pounds being the
maximum force. With a 500 sq.ft. foretriangle that works out to 86:1.
That is a $5,000 winch!!! A 64 cost about $3500 which is the limit of
my buget but the handle force would be 48 lb.

Actually, on most boats I've sailed on, this force depends on how much
in-the-way the stupid cables the idiot boat manufacturers spent so
much money putting DIRECTLY in the path of the revolving winch handle.
I think they work very hard to make sure no winch handle over 6" has a
clear, unobstructed turning circle without banging into "something".

Maybe they're trying to make it hard for us to crank too hard on the
cheap winch or the flimsy way they're mounted to the think
fiberglass....??

I'm thinking I may just head up a little, trim and fall off and save
$3-4K. :-)

What?! Aren't all the lines SUPPOSED to creak ominously while you're
cranking as hard as you can pull?....(c;

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?
Armond Perretta

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Armond Perretta wrote:
Rick & Linda Bernard wrote:

... I have never heard anyone say, "Geez this winch
is too powerful."

Nor have I. I have, however, heard several people say: "Geez,
this winch is too expensive."

While on the subject what do you guys feel is the maximum force you
can put on a winch handle? The "generally accepted" formula for
determining winch ratio is (SA*6)/35 assuming 35 pounds being the
maximum force ...

I don't know your source for this, Glenn, but I have pretty much always
heard the figure of 50 pounds quoted. Then you do the ratio math from
there.

Without looking it up I think Wally Ross has some tables for this (my
sailing books are still in boxes 3 moths after the move to a new house).

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Glenn Ashmore

Armond Perretta wrote:

I don't know your source for this, Glenn, but I have pretty much
always heard the figure of 50 pounds quoted. Then you do the ratio
math from there.

Without looking it up I think Wally Ross has some tables for this (my
sailing books are still in boxes 3 moths after the move to a new
house).

The 35 comes from Brion Toss's book and a couple of articles I found on
the Harkne and Lewmar sites on sizing winches. I thought it was a bit
low myself. That's why I asked. Brion is a big Harken booster and
probably got that number from them but they are out to sell winches so I
guess you need to take their recommendations with a grain of salt. :-)

I believe I am going with Harken as I already have a Harken 44 electric
for the halyards and reefing lines. My choices therefore are between a
56 at about $2600 each and 55 lbs of force and a 64 at $3600 each and 45
lbs force.

The pressure is really on now and the boat bucks are just flying out of
my wallet. Harken usually raises prices in November so I need to make a
decision by the time I leave the Annapolis show.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:07:20 -0400, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

Without looking it up I think Wally Ross has some tables for this (my
sailing books are still in boxes 3 moths after the move to a new house).

Anybody know if Wally Ross did or contributed to any other sailing
books? I am lucky enough to own a first edition of "Sail Power" (1975)
and it is the best book I've ever read on the subject, particularly as
I have a '73 cruiser-racer, and all the latest state of the art gear
pictured in Ross's book looks like my deck! G

Anyway, a great and still-relevant book, even if most of the racing
tweaks have been superseded by rule/class changes and gear
improvements. Read Ross's book, "Heavy Weather Sailing" and a copy of
Don Street's "The Ocean Sailing Yacht" and you won't go far wrong in
my opinion.

R.

How to change trailer winch cable on land? Ree-Yees General 12 May 11th 04 03:49 AM
boat trailer winch sizing RB General 4 May 10th 04 11:21 PM
Boat Winch Grumpy General 6 October 5th 03 04:11 PM
Problems replacing main halyard - advice? Vic General 4 August 13th 03 02:57 AM
$#%~#^%@ Halyard piston Shackle Lanyard! Steve Cruising 3 July 19th 03 07:12 PM