Armond Perretta

Default Main halyard winch, 1sp. or 2sp?

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Armond Perretta wrote:
Rick & Linda Bernard wrote:

... I have never heard anyone say, "Geez this winch
is too powerful."

Nor have I. I have, however, heard several people say: "Geez,
this winch is too expensive."

While on the subject what do you guys feel is the maximum force you
can put on a winch handle? The "generally accepted" formula for
determining winch ratio is (SA*6)/35 assuming 35 pounds being the
maximum force ...

I don't know your source for this, Glenn, but I have pretty much always
heard the figure of 50 pounds quoted. Then you do the ratio math from
there.

Without looking it up I think Wally Ross has some tables for this (my
sailing books are still in boxes 3 moths after the move to a new house).

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat