Larry W4CSC

Default Main halyard winch, 1sp. or 2sp?

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:03:05 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

While on the subject what do you guys feel is the maximum force you can
put on a winch handle? The "generally accepted" formula for
determining winch ratio is (SA*6)/35 assuming 35 pounds being the
maximum force. With a 500 sq.ft. foretriangle that works out to 86:1.
That is a $5,000 winch!!! A 64 cost about $3500 which is the limit of
my buget but the handle force would be 48 lb.

Actually, on most boats I've sailed on, this force depends on how much
in-the-way the stupid cables the idiot boat manufacturers spent so
much money putting DIRECTLY in the path of the revolving winch handle.
I think they work very hard to make sure no winch handle over 6" has a
clear, unobstructed turning circle without banging into "something".

Maybe they're trying to make it hard for us to crank too hard on the
cheap winch or the flimsy way they're mounted to the think
fiberglass....??

I'm thinking I may just head up a little, trim and fall off and save

What?! Aren't all the lines SUPPOSED to creak ominously while you're
cranking as hard as you can pull?....(c;

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?