RB

Default boat trailer winch sizing

OK, Gang----time to put a new winch on my old trailer. I can't find an exact
physical match for my old one. And, it's ate up so bad I can't find its
original rating.

Now, I'm running a 18' center console Pro-Line, w/115hp o/b, and 20 gal fuel
tank. I figure the whole kit and kaboodle won't weigh over 2000lb, soaking
wet.

If my weight estimate is close to correct, will a 1200lb rated winch work
OK? Seems that it would, as much of the load is wet surface sliding and not
a dead lift.

Give me some input here, please.

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach RB :

If my weight estimate is close to correct, will a 1200lb rated winch work
OK? Seems that it would, as much of the load is wet surface sliding and not
a dead lift.

I REALLY REALLY like the two speed winches... Takes out the slack and gets
the boat started fast, then drop into low gear and crank the rest of the
way without having to struggle.

Dan

--
A penny saved is worthless.
Dan Krueger

I don't know how they are rated but you aren't going to be lifting the entire
weight of your boat (unless you have a tilt trailer and refuse to let the tires
touch the water like I have seen on a few occasions). 1200# seems to be more
than enough. My vote is for a nylon strap over a cable any day.

Dan

RB wrote:

OK, Gang----time to put a new winch on my old trailer. I can't find an exact
physical match for my old one. And, it's ate up so bad I can't find its
original rating.

Now, I'm running a 18' center console Pro-Line, w/115hp o/b, and 20 gal fuel
tank. I figure the whole kit and kaboodle won't weigh over 2000lb, soaking
wet.

If my weight estimate is close to correct, will a 1200lb rated winch work
OK? Seems that it would, as much of the load is wet surface sliding and not
a dead lift.

Give me some input here, please.

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Dan Krueger :

My vote is for a nylon strap over a cable any day.

I used to think so, but they have a nasty habit of deteriorating from the
sunlight, and failing with little warning. Mine started to tear as I was
winching the boat up, luckily I carry a come-along in my truck toolbox, so
I pulled the cable of that and put it on my trailer winch.

Dan

--
Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he
is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not

Calif Bill

"Marshall Banana" wrote in message
Also Sprach Dan Krueger :

My vote is for a nylon strap over a cable any day.

I used to think so, but they have a nasty habit of deteriorating from the
sunlight, and failing with little warning. Mine started to tear as I was
winching the boat up, luckily I carry a come-along in my truck toolbox, so
I pulled the cable of that and put it on my trailer winch.

Dan

--
Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he
is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not
make messes in the house.

Mine broke, so just cut off a bad piece and then tied the strap to the hook
and winched up the boat.
Bill

Boat fell off trailer bb General 31 January 27th 04 09:22 PM
Serious problem in Loading the boat back on Trailer R3ALLY NEWBIE General 6 September 6th 03 07:31 AM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM