Ryk

Default Main halyard winch, 1sp. or 2sp?

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 23:02:56 -0400, in message

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Ryk wrote:

You need to check the page again. The recommendation is based on the
size of the *foretriangle*, not on the size of the headsail. My
*foretriangle* is just over 300 square feet and the Lewmar 46s are a
good match for the loads all the way from the blown out 150% down to
what some of my chums refer to as my "cocktail jib" (short hoist for
about 80% of the foretriangle area).

The foretriangle is what we are talking about.

and the post I was responding to was talking about "They use an
example of a 300 sq. ft headsail (nearly the size of the genoa on my
last boat, a 30' cutter)"

Acording to that formula
your 300 sq ft foretriangle needs a pair of 52s.

The 46s I have are good, but I sure wouldn't complain if a pair of 52s
appeared on my deck by magic. It's quite probably the racer in me that
just likes big winches.

My I = 58.8 and J =
17.25 so my foretriangle is about 507 sq ft. The formula comes up with
80+ which is obviously out of line.
I think the problem is the 6 factor. It is supposed to be a combination
of 30 knots of wind and all the friction load. It must have been chosen
by a winch salesman. :-)

It's probably also an issue of how you would likely sail the boat. If
you want to carry a 150% genny until performance would improve by
shortening sail and don't want to luff in order to trim, then you
probably would need the 80+ to stay down to the 35 pound load. You
could reduce the requirement dramatically by accepting a modest
performance hit in either of those areas and that could make a lot of
sense as a cost trade-off for cruising. Also, on a bigger boat it is
typically easier to get right over the winch, getting full use of both
arms and shoulders to raise the applied load on the handle, not to
mention moving up to a 12 inch handle.

Still, if money were no object, wouldn't a pair of 77 three speeds
suit your application (and the winch salesman's commission
account ;-) )?

Ryk

--
Unfortunately this address has been overrun by SPAM.
If you want to be sure I see email from you, then

How to change trailer winch cable on land? Ree-Yees General 12 May 11th 04 03:49 AM
boat trailer winch sizing RB General 4 May 10th 04 11:21 PM
Boat Winch Grumpy General 6 October 5th 03 04:11 PM
Problems replacing main halyard - advice? Vic General 4 August 13th 03 02:57 AM
$#%~#^%@ Halyard piston Shackle Lanyard! Steve Cruising 3 July 19th 03 07:12 PM