Ree-Yees

Default How to change trailer winch cable on land?

My winch cable is ripped about half way across at one point. I want to
replace the cable sitting in my driveway but want to make sure my boat isnt
going to slide off onto the ground. I have a shoreland'r trailer with
rollers.

I have about a foot long chain that goes from the trailer to the boat just
in case the winch shoudl fail. Im hoping that will be enough to hold my
boat on the trailer while I change out the winch cable.

How do you guys change yours out? I guess I could have someone drive my
boat around while I change it out in the parking lot.

Thanks,
Cameron
'87 Sea Ray Seville

RichG

Assuming your driveway has a severe slope ( this most be so, if you are very
concerned)...why not just hook the boat to your rig; BACK the rig up the
driveway; leaving the boat and vehicle turned around? That way, the boat
will be pointing DOWN the driveway and won't be likely to slip off. Just
leave the rig attached while you make the change and then put the boat back
where-ever it is now.

I don't think my boat would slip off ( I have bunks, you may have rollers)
on a driveway without the lubrication from floating in the water.
--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN

http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Ree-Yees

My driveway is realitively flat. The trailer will roll a little bit if I
dont put blocks behind it.

My trailer has the big black plastic rollers that the boat rolls up on. I
figured that it wouldnt slide off without the water but I just thought I
would see what you folks do.

I'll try releasing the winch VERY slowly tonight and hope that the boat
doesnt move.

--Cameron
"RichG" wrote in message
m...
Assuming your driveway has a severe slope ( this most be so, if you are

very
concerned)...why not just hook the boat to your rig; BACK the rig up the
driveway; leaving the boat and vehicle turned around? That way, the boat
will be pointing DOWN the driveway and won't be likely to slip off. Just
leave the rig attached while you make the change and then put the boat

back
where-ever it is now.

I don't think my boat would slip off ( I have bunks, you may have rollers)
on a driveway without the lubrication from floating in the water.
--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN

http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Gary Warner

"Ree-Yees" wrote in message

If your driveway is flat or near to it, the boat won't move on it's own.
Then if you
also have she safety chain that should hold it fine.

Steven Shelikoff

Ree-Yees wrote:
My winch cable is ripped about half way across at one point. I want to
replace the cable sitting in my driveway but want to make sure my boat isnt
going to slide off onto the ground. I have a shoreland'r trailer with
rollers.

I have about a foot long chain that goes from the trailer to the boat just
in case the winch shoudl fail. Im hoping that will be enough to hold my
boat on the trailer while I change out the winch cable.

How do you guys change yours out? I guess I could have someone drive my
boat around while I change it out in the parking lot.

What do you use to keep the boat on the trailer when your on the road?
I hope it's not just the winch! If the pawl breaks, look out behind.

Steve

D0N ßâiley

"Ree-Yees" wrote in message
My driveway is realitively flat. The trailer will roll a little bit if I
dont put blocks behind it.

My trailer has the big black plastic rollers that the boat rolls up on. I
figured that it wouldnt slide off without the water but I just thought I
would see what you folks do.

I'll try releasing the winch VERY slowly tonight and hope that the boat
doesnt move.

Let the tongue down as far to the ground as possible?

db

Rod McInnis

"Ree-Yees" wrote in message
My winch cable is ripped about half way across at one point. I want to
replace the cable sitting in my driveway but want to make sure my boat

isnt
going to slide off onto the ground. I have a shoreland'r trailer with
rollers.

Unless you are parked going up a very steep hill I would not expect the boat
to slide off on its own. If you are worried about it, take a rope or chain
and tie the bow hook on the boat to the post that holds the winch. Loosen
the winch a bit, then push on the boat to see if it will slide back (the
idea is that you would want it to slide back and take up all the slack in
the chain/rope while the winch was still attached.

Once you are assured the boat isn't going anywhere finish unwinding the
cable.

Rod

Steven Shelikoff

Gary Warner wrote:
"Steven Shelikoff" wrote in message

What do you use to keep the boat on the trailer when your on the road?
I hope it's not just the winch! If the pawl breaks, look out behind.

Steve

From the origional post:
I have about a foot long chain that goes from the
trailer to the boat just in case the winch shoudl fail.

The original poster sounded worried that the boat would roll off the
trailer if he unhooked the winch to replace the cable. That was the
whole point of his post afterall, i.e., how to change the cable on land.
If he's worried that the foot long chain will fail with the trailer
sitting still while changing the winch cable, how much confidence could
he have of it holding the boat on the trailer when running down the highway?

Steve

del cecchi

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

"Steven Shelikoff" wrote in message

What do you use to keep the boat on the trailer when your on the

road?
I hope it's not just the winch! If the pawl breaks, look out

behind.

Steve

From the origional post:
I have about a foot long chain that goes from the
trailer to the boat just in case the winch shoudl fail.

There also must be hold downs at the transom or a strap across the boat
or it would bounce all over the place. Trust me, if the transom hold
downs are on, the boat will not roll off the trailer. I know that for
sure. :-)

del cecchi

boat trailer winch sizing RB General 4 May 10th 04 11:21 PM
Update on Homemade Trailer Building Gary Warner General 7 January 27th 04 04:03 AM
Trailer - Tire change and wheel bearing question n0sPaM General 17 August 10th 03 09:28 PM
Correct Trailer set up for towing my speedboat. Chester General 3 July 28th 03 12:55 PM