n0sPaM

Default Trailer - Tire change and wheel bearing question

I have a 3-ton jack (for me to change my winter tires on my car), and now I
am trying to change a flatten tire on my 16' trailer of my boat, but I am a
little bit confused..I can't find lifting point, where should I put the
jack? any idea?

Also, do I need to grease the wheel bearing on the trailer wheel? Can I use
WD-40, just spray?

Boating Newbie

Gary Warner

As I understand your situation:

Put the 3-Ton on the floor.
If it's unstable, put it on a board.
Put some wood block above the jack.
Lifting point is some part of the trailer frame before or aft of the tire

Be sure other side tires are blocked and tongue is held firmly in place
(maybe by having toungue attached to two vehicle) so trailer won't move.

If all of the above is still unstable, you could also lift one side
of the wheel (say in front of it) and block that up. Then remove
your jack to the rear side of the tire and lift that. Could block
that up.

Whatever you do...just be CAREFUL that the trailer
is stable.

Wheel bearings need greasing. No, not WD40. Use real grease. Some
have a fitting for a grease gun. Others do not.

Claus

n0sPaM wrote:

I have a 3-ton jack (for me to change my winter tires on my car), and now I
am trying to change a flatten tire on my 16' trailer of my boat, but I am a
little bit confused..I can't find lifting point, where should I put the
jack? any idea?

That's easy. Just place the jack under the axle or under the trailer
springs where the axel is attached. Be sure to secure the other wheel
with blocks from rolling forward and backward.

Also, do I need to grease the wheel bearing on the trailer wheel? Can I use
WD-40, just spray?

NO!!! Don't use WD-40 on your wheel bearings. It's way to liquid and
will wash out your grease. You actually do more harm than good. Best
thing to do is to take apart the wheel bearings, clean them and repack
the grease.

Also an important thins is to make sure all tires are the same
dimension. When I bought my boat with trailer one tire was 1/2 inch
smaller in diameter than the other. That pretty much killed the bearing
on the smaller wheel.

Rural Knight

"n0sPaM" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

I have a 3-ton jack (for me to change my winter tires on my car), and now

am trying to change a flatten tire on my 16' trailer of my boat, but I am

little bit confused..I can't find lifting point, where should I put the
jack? any idea?

Assuming a floor or bottle jack, anywhere on the frame closest
to the wheel. Make sure the jack is stable - use a jack stand or
a building block as a safety.

Also, do I need to grease the wheel bearing on the trailer wheel? Can I

use
WD-40, just spray?

As somebody else said NO NO NO!!!

Remove the bearings and repack - it's a simple operation.

http://www.plantservices.com/Web_Fir...D/CBOH-5CSQMR/

Also, get thee hence to NAPA and pickest thou upest some
Never Seize (or equivalent) - it's a white grease, aluminum,
graphite compound designed to prevent rust welding - believe
me, you can torque the wheel nuts, submerge the trailer for
years and the lug nuts will spin off slick as slop sliding down
hill. I use it on everything that requires immersion in salt or fresh
water - works great.

noah

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:59:41 GMT, "n0sPaM"
wrote:

I have a 3-ton jack (for me to change my winter tires on my car), and now I
am trying to change a flatten tire on my 16' trailer of my boat, but I am a
little bit confused..I can't find lifting point, where should I put the
jack? any idea?

Also, do I need to grease the wheel bearing on the trailer wheel? Can I use
WD-40, just spray?

Boating Newbie

The other posters have given good advice.

One comment- your wheel bearings do need to be greased from time to
time (I do mine annually), but you don't *have* to grease the bearings
when you change a flat tire. It's a good procedure to learn, though.

noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats

noah

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:43:20 GMT, "Rural Knight"
wrote:

"n0sPaM" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

[...]

"...slick as slop sliding down hill." LMAO!!!!

Are you sure you're not a "country boy"? )
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats
Rural Knight

"noah" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:43:20 GMT, "Rural Knight"
wrote:

"n0sPaM" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

[...]

LOL!!

Well, to tell the truth, I am now - I never used to be.

DSK

n0sPaM wrote:

Also, do I need to grease the wheel bearing on the trailer wheel? Can I use
WD-40, just spray?

NO you can't just spray WD-40 into your trailer bearings. Great as this stuff
is, it is not a substitute for hi-temp grease. WD-40 will lubricate the surface
but will not distribute heat nor will it maintain lubrication on a hot surface
for any duration. Of course, if you are only driving the trailer 100 yards it
might work OK.....

Marine rated grease is best, but cheaper white lithium grease will do.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

pfowlerc228

You pretty much get the point that WD 40 isn't sufficient for the wheel
bearings... Here's a little advice from experiences from the past
weekend... Don't use cheap grease, get the best grease that you can
possibly get your hands on! Don't mix synthetic grease with non-synthetic!
If you have bearing buddies, don't count on them getting grease to the
inside bearings, take the hub apart every fall, after you take the boat out
for the winter and re-pack the bearings. This will ensure that he bearings
are dry and well greased while sitting over the winter.

As for jacking the trailer... attach it to the car. If you jack from the
axle, get as close to the wheel as possible, don't jack on the middle of the
axle. I would prefer that you don't jack from in front of the wheel. You
don't need to go too far forward of the wheel to get in front of the centre
of gravity, and then a ton of weight will be exerted on the tongue of the
trailer when the wheels come off the ground.

I had one of my hubs overheat this past weekend. I didn't bother to pack
the back bearing after pulling the boat out last fall. They were brand new,
only 400 miles on them, and I packed them when I put them in, so I didn't
bother. I also think that the seals were defective. The bearings
overheated, cooked off all of the grease and cracked the hubs from the heat.
I'm surprised that the whole works didn't catch fire. Too be honest, I've
never seen anything like it. I am very luck that the wheel didn't fly off!
The net result was that my axle was ruined in addition to the hub. Luckily,
axle assemblies aren't that expensive. $225.00 including tax, got the axle
assembly, including two new hubs and the U-bolts to attach it to the
trailer. Incidentally, the original axle on my trailer was square, and I
was unable to get a square replacement axle. They are all round now, which
is why I needed replacement U-Bolts. I think that I would have changed them
anyway, they aren't expensive!!

Too make a long story short, it's an ugly situation to have your trailer
crap out along the highway because your bearings failed. Think about
jacking it up with cars zipping past you. Take care of your bearings!!!

--
Paul Fowler
(905) 478-2862
mailto "n0sPaM" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

I have a 3-ton jack (for me to change my winter tires on my car), and now

am trying to change a flatten tire on my 16' trailer of my boat, but I am

little bit confused..I can't find lifting point, where should I put the
jack? any idea?

Also, do I need to grease the wheel bearing on the trailer wheel? Can I

use
WD-40, just spray?

Boating Newbie

Buck Frobisher

"pfowlerc228" a écrit dans le message de
le.rogers.com...
You pretty much get the point that WD 40 isn't sufficient for the wheel
bearings...

WD40 is a cleaner/solvent. I've never considered it a lubricant.

As for jacking the trailer... attach it to the car.

Clever, but simple tip! Although, usually when tires go flat, Murphy's Law
dictates that you be on the road in heavy traffic, it's either raining hard
or 120 degrees in the shade, and the edge of the road is one foot narrower
than your boat.

However, I have changed tires in the driveway and relied only on my
hand-made custom chocks. The whole thing -would- be much more secure with
the van as an anchor.

I had one of my hubs overheat this past weekend. I didn't bother to pack
the back bearing after pulling the boat out last fall. They were brand

new,
only 400 miles on them, and I packed them when I put them in, so I didn't
bother. I also think that the seals were defective. The bearings
overheated, cooked off all of the grease and cracked the hubs from the

heat.
I'm surprised that the whole works didn't catch fire. Too be honest, I've
never seen anything like it. I am very luck that the wheel didn't fly

off!

I carry a spare bearing in the bag with my jack. I've not had to use it in
the five years I bought it, so I consider it a good luck charm. God grant
me the ears to hear the noise or feel the vibration if the bearing actually
goes while I'm towing!

What makes you think the Bearing Buddies don't do a complete lube job? Do
you see voids in the grease when you take it apart in the fall? ps: it was
hard to remember that I had white wheels until I invested two bucks on a
pair of the caps ("bras" as they call them). Plus, with them on, I go
through half as much grease!
--
"Stay calm. Be brave. Wait for the signs."

Frank Johansen
Aurora, Ontario