Buck Frobisher

Default Trailer - Tire change and wheel bearing question

"pfowlerc228" a écrit dans le message de
le.rogers.com...
You pretty much get the point that WD 40 isn't sufficient for the wheel
bearings...

WD40 is a cleaner/solvent. I've never considered it a lubricant.

As for jacking the trailer... attach it to the car.

Clever, but simple tip! Although, usually when tires go flat, Murphy's Law
dictates that you be on the road in heavy traffic, it's either raining hard
or 120 degrees in the shade, and the edge of the road is one foot narrower
than your boat.

However, I have changed tires in the driveway and relied only on my
hand-made custom chocks. The whole thing -would- be much more secure with
the van as an anchor.

I had one of my hubs overheat this past weekend. I didn't bother to pack
the back bearing after pulling the boat out last fall. They were brand

new,
only 400 miles on them, and I packed them when I put them in, so I didn't
bother. I also think that the seals were defective. The bearings
overheated, cooked off all of the grease and cracked the hubs from the

heat.
I'm surprised that the whole works didn't catch fire. Too be honest, I've
never seen anything like it. I am very luck that the wheel didn't fly

off!

I carry a spare bearing in the bag with my jack. I've not had to use it in
the five years I bought it, so I consider it a good luck charm. God grant
me the ears to hear the noise or feel the vibration if the bearing actually
goes while I'm towing!

What makes you think the Bearing Buddies don't do a complete lube job? Do
you see voids in the grease when you take it apart in the fall? ps: it was
hard to remember that I had white wheels until I invested two bucks on a
pair of the caps ("bras" as they call them). Plus, with them on, I go
through half as much grease!
--
"Stay calm. Be brave. Wait for the signs."

Frank Johansen
Aurora, Ontario