Darren M.

Default Trailer - Tire change and wheel bearing question

"Buck Frobisher" wrote in message
.. .
What makes you think the Bearing Buddies don't do a complete lube job? Do
you see voids in the grease when you take it apart in the fall? ps: it

was
hard to remember that I had white wheels until I invested two bucks on a
pair of the caps ("bras" as they call them). Plus, with them on, I go
through half as much grease!

Frank,

What do you mean by caps? Are they the same as hubcaps or wheel covers?
Where do you get them?

Thanks,
-Darren

pfowlerc228

Sorry for being so late in responding... The original question as to why
the bearing buddies don't do a complete lube job was directed at my
statement not to count on them lubing the back bearings. In most cases, the
rear bearings won't benefit from the bearing buddies, to the extent that you
could feel comfortable in ingoring them and assuming that they are receiving
adequate lubrication from the bearing buddies. Between the front bearing
and the rear bearing is a rather large gap, which may or may not be filled
with grease. That depends on whether you or someone else pumped grease into
the cavity when re-assembling the hub. At any rate, there is nowhere for
the grease to go to the rear of the hub. Some grease may get past the axle
seal, but you really don't want that seal to be compromised. If too much
grease does get past, you should replace the seal. Depending on the quality
of grease that you are using, it may liquify and run out of the seal, and
conversely, water may run in through the seal. However, there are axles on
some trailers with relief ports, that allow the grease to be forced through
the rear bearing, and into the hollow axle, preventing the seal from being
compromised. Sounds good to me, I which my axles had that feature!

The bottom line is that bearing buddies are great for maintaining your
bearings for the season, but a really great idea would be to re-pack them
after taking the boat out of the water for winter storage.

--
Paul Fowler

mailto "Darren M." wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

"Buck Frobisher" wrote in message
.. .
What makes you think the Bearing Buddies don't do a complete lube job?

Do
you see voids in the grease when you take it apart in the fall? ps: it

was
hard to remember that I had white wheels until I invested two bucks on a
pair of the caps ("bras" as they call them). Plus, with them on, I go
through half as much grease!

Frank,

What do you mean by caps? Are they the same as hubcaps or wheel covers?
Where do you get them?

Thanks,
-Darren

Mark Browne

snip

When you repack your bearings, do you always replace the races, too?

You replace bearings in sets; the rollers and races are a matched set.

Mark Browne

Calif Bill

"Mark Browne" wrote in message
snip

When you repack your bearings, do you always replace the races, too?

You replace bearings in sets; the rollers and races are a matched set.

Mark Browne

They are not matched sets. But you chance both at the same time as if one
is bad the other will be bad also.
Bill

akheel

"Mark Browne" wrote in

snip

When you repack your bearings, do you always replace the races, too?

You replace bearings in sets; the rollers and races are a matched set.

Mark Browne

Why in the world would you replace the races when repacking the bearings,
assuming they weren't damagaed. Now if you are replacing the bearings, as
opposed to repacking them, then its a good idea to replace the races as
well.
Mark Browne

"Mark Browne" wrote in message
snip

When you repack your bearings, do you always replace the races, too?

You replace bearings in sets; the rollers and races are a matched set.

Mark Browne

Ahem, it occurs to me that you may be asking aout the *seals*.
If this is the case, Then yes, I ususally spend the few bucks and replace
the seals every time I pull the hub.

Mark Browne