Vic

Default Problems replacing main halyard - advice?

I have an older Coronado 15, and what I'm actually having trouble
replacing is the piece with the pulleys (I wish I knew what it is
called) at the very top of the mast through which the halyard runs. I
purchased a new one from Catalina, and while the old one friction-fit
nice and snug, the new one slides in and out v. easily. I need it to
fit tighter or it'll fall out, either on the freeway or should I ever
capsize and (for whatever reason) lose tension on the main halyard. I
could bang the mast with a mallet until it fits better (doesn't seem
wise), or wrap tape around it (doesn't seem long-term suitable) or
smush a bunch of silicone in there or... ??

DCooper

(Vic) wrote in message . com...
I have an older Coronado 15, and what I'm actually having trouble
replacing is the piece with the pulleys (I wish I knew what it is
called) at the very top of the mast through which the halyard runs. I
purchased a new one from Catalina, and while the old one friction-fit
nice and snug, the new one slides in and out v. easily. I need it to
fit tighter or it'll fall out, either on the freeway or should I ever
capsize and (for whatever reason) lose tension on the main halyard. I
could bang the mast with a mallet until it fits better (doesn't seem
wise), or wrap tape around it (doesn't seem long-term suitable) or
smush a bunch of silicone in there or... ??

I just acquired an old Coronado 15 (hull 698) and I'm also having trouble with
the main halyard. The old halyard is frayed and needs replacing. The former
owner included a new halyard but I can't figure out how to install it. The
masthead has a tube bent in a half circle through which the old halyard runs.
The new halyard already has the fittings pressed on the ends and cannot be fed
through the tube. I'm thinking that this is an old arrangement and a newer
masthead piece with pulleys is available. What kind of setup does your masthead
piece have?

BTW, on my boat there are two stainless screws that hold the masthead piece on,
plus a bunch of caulking. The interior of the mast seems to be filled with foam.
Vic

I have hull #511, so I have you beat by a little! My masthead was also of
the half-round tube type, and I had a hell of a time raising the sail. It
groaned and squeaked and finally wouldn't even go up. I deduced that the
tube was worn, and was putting too much friction on the halyard (which was
fine). You are correct, the new masthead, which I got from Catalina for
something like $40, has pulleys, so it should work a lot better. They said
that they would send it with the halyard pre-installed, but they didn't, so
I went down to my local West Marine and bought crimps and just cut the old
halyard off and crimped it back on (losing about 1/4" of length in the
process - not a problem).

I'll send you my email address via email; or write to the
address, but be forewarned it's just there to collect
SPAM so I don't check it very often, and when i do I normally just delete
everything.

"DCooper" wrote in message
om...
. com...