posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default replace mainsail halyard

I need to replace my the halyard for main main sail. How can I do this
without climbing the mast?

The old halyard is still in place.

Thanks

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Listen to Jeff, not the moronic Charlie.

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in

Two methods:

1) Have someone else climb the mast

Dumb!

2) Attach a small diameter "messenger" line to the bitter

end and pull
that through. Then detach the old halyard. At the point

where the old
halyard was attached, you now attach the bitter end of the

new halyard
and use the messenger line to pull it through.

Dumber!

2a) If the old halyard is really of no potential for

reuse, then you
can just cut off the headboard shackle, attach the bitter

end of the
new halyard to that end, and pull it through.

Really stupid!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to replace my the halyard for main main sail. How can I do this
without climbing the mast?

Motor your boat up to a bridge that's about mast height. Put the rope
through the pulley while standing on the bridge.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Another stupid idea;

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
message ...

wrote in message

ups.com...
I need to replace my the halyard for main main sail. How

can I do this
without climbing the mast?

Motor your boat up to a bridge that's about mast height.

Put the rope
through the pulley while standing on the bridge.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Here's an explanation as to why charlie is an idiot. Yes, I
know you all knew it already, but charlie needs things
spelled out for him.

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message

1) Have someone else climb the mast

Dumb!

he said ***WITHOUT*** climbing the mast.

2) Attach a small diameter "messenger" line to the

bitter
end and pull
that through. Then detach the old halyard. At the point

where the old
halyard was attached, you now attach the bitter end of

the
new halyard
and use the messenger line to pull it through.

Dumber!

Why do you need a messanger line? Just sew the new halyard
to the old one.

2a) If the old halyard is really of no potential for

reuse, then you
can just cut off the headboard shackle, attach the

bitter
end of the
new halyard to that end, and pull it through.

Really stupid!

Cut? Why? Save the old halyard for a spare.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to replace my the halyard for main main sail. How can I do this
without climbing the mast?

The old halyard is still in place.

Thanks

You can cut off whatever is at the business end of the old halyard and
either sew the new one on temporarily or attach a mouse (light line) to it
with tape and pull it through... I've done the latter several times... just
pull gently otherwise you might separate the two lines.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message
. ..
Another stupid idea;

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
message ...

wrote in message

ups.com...
I need to replace my the halyard for main main sail. How

can I do this
without climbing the mast?

Motor your boat up to a bridge that's about mast height.

Put the rope
through the pulley while standing on the bridge.

Wilbur Hubbard

Better yet, heel the boat with the jib halyard, then pull the new line
through! g

Have a good bilge pump ready!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Charlie Morgan" wrote i
stupid crap deleted

Really? Have your tried this?

yelp, twice.

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in

1) Have someone else climb the mast

Dumb!

he said ***WITHOUT*** climbing the mast.

If he has someone else climb the mast, then he won't need

to climb it,
dim****.

I'm surprised you didn't advise him to drop the mast.

Winchless jib halyard Roger Long Cruising 0 January 23rd 06 10:40 AM
Winchless Halyard Roger Long Cruising 10 July 6th 05 09:47 PM
Main halyard winch, 1sp. or 2sp? Ilv2sl Cruising 30 September 18th 03 06:08 AM
How to replace carburator fuel filter on OMC cobra 4.3 gadomra General 0 August 29th 03 04:02 AM
$#%~#^%@ Halyard piston Shackle Lanyard! Steve Cruising 3 July 19th 03 07:12 PM