posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Default "Let's Remember Pearl Harbor"

I believe you Joe. So when do we invade Iran and North Korea, since they
said they have WMD's and declared their willingness to us the against the
US?

Is Bush coming up short on this one?

Praise!

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
What a Difference Four Years Makes
Why U.N. inspectors left Iraq--then and now

"The U.N. orders its weapons inspectors to leave Iraq after the chief
inspector reports Baghdad is not fully cooperating with them."

-- Sheila MacVicar, ABC World News This Morning, 12/16/98

"To bolster its claim, Iraq let reporters see one laboratory U.N.
inspectors once visited before they were kicked out four years ago."

--John McWethy, ABC World News Tonight, 8/12/02

"The Iraq story boiled over last night when the chief U.N. weapons
inspector, Richard Butler, said that Iraq had not fully cooperated with
inspectors and--as they had promised to do. As a result, the U.N.
ordered its inspectors to leave Iraq this morning"

--Katie Couric, NBC's Today, 12/16/98

"As Washington debates when and how to attack Iraq, a surprise offer
from Baghdad. It is ready to talk about re-admitting U.N. weapons
inspectors after kicking them out four years ago."

--Maurice DuBois, NBC's Saturday Today, 8/3/02

"The chief U.N. weapons inspector ordered his monitors to leave Baghdad
today after saying that Iraq had once again reneged on its promise to
cooperate--a report that renewed the threat of U.S. and British
airstrikes."

--AP, 12/16/98

"Information on Iraq's programs has been spotty since Saddam expelled
U.N. weapons inspectors in 1998."

--AP, 9/7/02

"Immediately after submitting his report on Baghdad's noncompliance,
Butler ordered his inspectors to leave Iraq."

--Los Angeles Times, 12/17/98

"It is not known whether Iraq has rebuilt clandestine nuclear
facilities since U.N. inspectors were forced out in 1998, but the
report said the regime lacks nuclear material for a bomb and the
capability to make weapons."

--Los Angeles Times, 9/10/02

"The United Nations once again has ordered its weapons inspectors out
of Iraq. Today's evacuation follows a new warning from chief weapons
inspector Richard Butler accusing Iraq of once again failing to
cooperate with the inspectors. The United States and Britain repeatedly
have warned that Iraq's failure to cooperate with the inspectors could
lead to air strikes."

--Bob Edwards, NPR, 12/16/98

"If he has secret weapons, he's had four years since he kicked out the
inspectors to hide all of them."

--Daniel Schorr, NPR, 8/3/02

"This is the second time in a month that UNSCOM has pulled out in the
face of a possible U.S.-led attack. But this time there may be no
turning back. Weapons inspectors packed up their personal belongings
and loaded up equipment at U.N. headquarters after a predawn evacuation
order. In a matter of hours, they were gone, more than 120 of them
headed for a flight to Bahrain."

--Jane Arraf, CNN, 12/16/98

"What Mr. Bush is being urged to do by many advisers is focus on the
simple fact that Saddam Hussein signed a piece of paper at the end of
the Persian Gulf War, promising that the United Nations could have
unfettered weapons inspections in Iraq. It has now been several years
since those inspectors were kicked out."

--John King, CNN, 8/18/02

"Russian Ambassador Sergei Lavrov criticized Butler for evacuating
inspectors from Iraq Wednesday morning without seeking permission from
the Security Council."

--USA Today, 12/17/98

"Saddam expelled U.N. weapons inspectors in 1998, accusing some of
being U.S. spies."

--USA Today, 9/4/02

"But the most recent irritant was Mr. Butler's quick withdrawal from
Iraq on Wednesday of all his inspectors and those of the International
Atomic Energy Agency, which monitors Iraqi nuclear programs, without
Security Council permission. Mr. Butler acted after a telephone call
from Peter Burleigh, the American representative to the United Nations,
and a discussion with Secretary General Kofi Annan, who had also spoken
to Mr. Burleigh."

--New York Times, 12/18/98

"America's goal should be to ensure that Iraq is disarmed of all
unconventional weapons.... To thwart this goal, Baghdad expelled United
Nations arms inspectors four years ago."

--New York Times editorial, 8/3/02

"Butler ordered his inspectors to evacuate Baghdad, in anticipation of
a military attack, on Tuesday night--at a time when most members of the
Security Council had yet to receive his report."

--Washington Post, 12/18/98

"Since 1998, when U.N. inspectors were expelled, Iraq has almost
certainly been working to build more chemical and biological weapons."

--Washington Post editorial, 8/4/02

"Butler abruptly pulled all of his inspectors out of Iraq shortly after
handing Annan a report yesterday afternoon on Baghdad's continued
failure to cooperate with UNSCOM, the agency that searches for Iraq's
prohibited weapons of mass destruction."

-- Newsday, 12/17/98

"The reason Hussein gave was that the U.N. inspectors' work was
completed years ago, before he kicked them out in 1998, and they
dismantled whatever weapons they found. That's disingenuous."

--Newsday editorial, 8/14/02

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

North Korea would kick the USA's collective asses in any war... they is
short but really ill tempered, bitter and extremely petty.

If youse guys went into Iran...... Canada would just move in and take over
your entire nation while you were out!

CM

. net...

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Sure Gary... next thing you'll claim that Iraq wasn't involved in 911!
.... or that Saddam had no intention of attacking the USA!!

Saddam was a terrorist and was a known supporter of terrorist. After
911 and his invading Kuwait we could no longer afford to let him keep
on...keeping on. Our concern was Saddam providing illicit weapons to
terrorists and terrorist organizations that have no compunction about
using such devices against innocent people around the world.

Iraq and terrorism go back decades. Baghdad trains Palestine Liberation
Front members in small arms and explosives. Saddam uses the Arab
Liberation Front to funnel money to the families of Palestinian suicide
bombers in order to prolong the intifada. And it's no secret that
Saddam's own intelligence service was involved in dozens of attacks or
attempted assassinations in the 1990s.

Saddam has and had a sinister nexus with al-Qaeda and bin Laden....a
nexus that combines classic terrorist organizations and modern methods
of murder.

Iraq today harbors a deadly terrorist network, headed by Abu Mussab
al-Zarqawi, an associate and collaborator of Osama bin Laden and his
al-Qaeda lieutenants.

Zarqawi, a Palestinian born in Jordan, fought in the Afghan War more
than a decade ago. Returning to Afghanistan in 2000, he oversaw a
terrorist training camp.

In 2000, Zarqawi offered al-Qaeda safe haven in the region. After we
swept al-Qaeda from Afghanistan, some of its members accepted this safe
haven. They remain there today.

Zarqawi's activities were know thruout Iraq while under Saddams rule.
He traveled to Baghdad in May 2002 for medical treatment, staying in
the capital of Iraq for two months while he recuperated to fight
another day.

During this stay, nearly two dozen extremists converged on Baghdad and
established a base of operations there. These al-Qaeda affiliates,
based in Baghdad, now coordinate the movement of people, money and
supplies into and throughout Iraq for his network, and they are still
operating in Iraq.

Iraqi officials denied ties with al-Qaeda. These denials are simply not
credible.

An al-Qaeda associate bragged before the war that the situation in Iraq
was, quote, "good," that Baghdad could be transited quickly.

Saddam was a supporter of terrorism long before these terrorist
networks had a name, and this support continues. The nexus of poisons
and terror is new; the nexus of Iraq and terror is old. The combination
is lethal.

With this track record, Iraqi denials of supporting terrorism take
their place alongside the other Iraqi denials of weapons of mass
destruction. It is all a web of lies.

When we confront a regime that harbors ambitions for regional
domination, hides weapons of mass destruction and provides haven and
active support for terrorists, we are not confronting the past, we are
confronting the present. And unless we act, we are confronting an even
more frightening future.

Americans are the most welcomed and loved people on the entire planet. They
are the last bastions of freedom and peace.

Well it seems we are doing most the work to put an end to Saddams
Hitler type tatics. Not Canada, France, Germany, ect lifted a finger to
stop Saddam's violations of human rights and utter contempt for human
life.

Saddam Hussein's use of mustard and nerve gas against the Kurds in 1988
was one of the 20th century's most horrible atrocities. Five thousand
men, women and children died. His campaign against the Kurds from 1987
to '89 included mass summary executions, disappearances, arbitrary
jailing, ethnic cleansing and the destruction of some 2,000 villages.

He has also conducted ethnic cleansing against the Shi'a Iraqis and the
Marsh Arabs, whose culture has flourished for more than a millennium.

Saddam Hussein's police state ruthlessly eliminates anyone who dares to
dissent. Iraq has more forced disappearance cases than any other
country -- tens of thousands of people reported missing in the past
decade.

Nothing pointed more clearly to Saddam Hussein's dangerous intentions
and the threat he posed to all of us than his calculated cruelty to his
own citizens and to his neighbors. Clearly, Saddam Hussein and his
regime would of stopped at nothing until we stopped him.

For more than 20 years, by word and by deed, Saddam Hussein pursued his
ambition to dominate Iraq and the broader Middle East using the only
means he knows: intimidation, coercion and annihilation of all those
who might stand in his way.

Given Saddam Hussein's history of aggression, given what we knew of his
grandiose plans, given what we knew of his terrorist associations and
given his determination to exact revenge on those who oppose him,
should we have taken the risk that he will not someday use weapons at a
time and a place and in a manner of his choosing, at a time when the
world was in a much weaker position to respond?

The United States could not run that risk to the American people.
Leaving Saddam Hussein in power was not an option, not in a
post-September 11th world.

The USA single-handedly won both
world wars. If it wasn't for the USA we'd all be speaking Gerpan or Japman!!

How true:0)

Now they are fighting the crusade for proper Christian beliefs!

Someone has to make a stand against evil people like Saddam. Canada
could not bothered with such trivial things.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"Joe" wrote in message

Someone has to make a stand against evil people like Saddam. Canada
could not bothered with such trivial things.

We are much more nefarious... we allow them to immigrate, show them the good
life and they adopt our national tendency to apathy. Next thing you know...
they can't afford to send any money "back-home" because little Abdul has to
get new hockey equipment!

Why shoot'em??...... when you can get them to pay taxes!!!!

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Joe wrote:
Saddam was a terrorist and was a known supporter of terrorist.

Actually, there has never been a single shred of proof that
Saddam Hussein's gov't ever had the slightest involvement
with anti-US terrorism.

Iraq and terrorism go back decades. Baghdad trains Palestine Liberation
Front members in small arms and explosives. Saddam uses the Arab
Liberation Front to funnel money to the families of Palestinian suicide
bombers in order to prolong the intifada.

I see, we invaded Iraq and took out Saddam to proetect Israel?

... And it's no secret that
Saddam's own intelligence service was involved in dozens of attacks or
attempted assassinations in the 1990s.

You're right Joe, it's not a secret... it's utter malarkey.
Of course, they did make some vague threats about trying to
assassinate President Bush's daddy... that's reason enough
to start a war, sure.

Saddam has and had a sinister nexus with al-Qaeda and bin Laden....

Wow, that's impressive. I didn't know you knew words like
"nexus."

Iraqi officials denied ties with al-Qaeda. These denials are simply not
credible.

Really? What actual evidence exists that Iraq and/or Saddam
had *any* ties to Al Queda and the Sept 11th attack? There
certainly has been none presented to any serious
investigator. Vice President Cheney alluded to such things
to the investigating committee but did not provide a single
bit of corroborating info. None, nada, zip.

Saddam Hussein's use of mustard and nerve gas against the Kurds in 1988
was one of the 20th century's most horrible atrocities. Five thousand
men, women and children died. His campaign against the Kurds from 1987
to '89 included mass summary executions, disappearances, arbitrary
jailing, ethnic cleansing and the destruction of some 2,000 villages.

So why did we wait almost 20 years, Joe?

For more than 20 years, by word and by deed, Saddam Hussein pursued his
ambition to dominate Iraq and the broader Middle East using the only
means he knows: intimidation, coercion and annihilation of all those
who might stand in his way.

And helped by his Reagan era business partners, George Bush
Sr and Don Rumsfeld.

It's a long long list of bluster & bull****, Joe. Very short
on fact. Is that what you want America's future based on?

I agree that things are very dangerous for us right now, but
until we start actually fighting terrorism by effective
means, and eliminating the nuclear weapons held by Iran &
Korea, we're marching boldly into quicksand.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Actually, there has never been a single shred of proof that
Saddam Hussein's gov't ever had the slightest involvement
with anti-US terrorism

So you... like France... are willing to turn your head on murder and
terror as long as it's not hurting you. France was getting blood money
from the Oil for Food program, what were you getting?

So why did we wait almost 20 years, Joe?

9-11 woke most people up to the real danger of letting a terrorist
sponser remain in power.
Just like Pearl Harbor "awakened a sleeping giant" so did 9-11.

I do not understand your willing to keep hitting the snooze button.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

OzOne wrote in message

Bush Logic....a dying art.

For the Favour of the Gods and the Path of the Righteous!!??

What Better Reasons can you provide to Declare for War!???

It's an Age Old Rational... that's why I believe it wasn't questioned.

Personally... I'm a firm believer in keeping friends close and enemies
closer still.

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

OzOne wrote in message

Joe, he was going to attack no-one!

Now now Ozone..... let's not shatter any illusions of entitlement, they
are feeling guilty enough as it is.

How many Kangaroos & Wombats can you muster up for when they annex the
Commonwealth?? We keep sending them these damned Canada Geese to crap all
over their lawns already! You'd think they'd catch on!? :-)

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Donal

"Vito" wrote in message
Religious fundamentalism is the enemy of all mankind. Europeans were

afraid
to explore west because the church told them they would sail off the edge

of
the world

I think that you will find that the church was in agreement with the
scientific community at the time.

Apart from that small disagreement, I would like to congratulate you on a
brilliant post!

Regards

Donal

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Donal

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
So your saying we should of waited, let Saddam attack us.. or pay
someone to attack us... before we acted?

Joe,
That is the MOST stupid thing that I have ever read on Usenet.

Do you really believe that Saddam would have attacked the US?

Regards

Donal