JAXAshby

Default BOAT SHOW REPORT.. jaxineering

In the 1800s they could
certainly make watertight plank ends.

not well. It was well into the 20th century before glues became good enough to
be trusted for plank ends under the waterline. At least in the kinds of boats
discussed here.
JAXAshby

He says that reserve bouyancy
isn't an issue because it's the transom that keeps out big scary waves.

the reserve bouyancy of a transom is one of the reasons a transom is prefered
over a canoe stern.
JAXAshby

dougies, it was you who were disagreeing. And now you are agreeing. If we
wait a couple hours will you be disagreeing again?

(among other things)
canoe sterns have less reserve bouyancy than transom

Correct, Jax. Very good!

JAXAshby

Default BOAT SHOW REPORT.. MC & capsize screen

professional naval architects

often those who claim to be such, are none of the three. In most jurisdictions
there is no more legal definition of a "naval architect" than there is of "lead
crystal"
DSK

JAXAshby wrote:
often those who claim to be such, are none of the three. In most jurisdictions
there is no more legal definition of a "naval architect" than there is of "lead
crystal"

Sure, Jax whatever you say. Instead of "professional naval architects" let's just
call them a group of people who just happen to make their living designing
sailboats, and consulting with builders of sailboats, and teach engineering and/or
naval architecture, and providing references for insurance companies about
sailboats, and other activities relating to sailboats & the sport of sailing, and
are paid money for all these activities.

Of course you're smarter than all of them Jax. It will upset them greatly that you
disagree. The fact that you don't know what causes tip vortex and can't figure out
what hull speed means is irrelevant.

But you can explain reserve bouyancy to your pal MC. He won't listen to me when I
explain it. BTW did you ever figure out where you can buy a cement slab for your
mobile home?

DSK

JAXAshby

you don't know what causes tip vortex

oh, but I do indeed know, dougies. you just couldn't understand the six and
seven letter words I used to explain it. Either that or you believe vortices
are caused by hobgoblins.

DSK

JAXAshby wrote:
not well. It was well into the 20th century before glues became good enough to
be trusted for plank ends under the waterline. At least in the kinds of boats
discussed here.

Is that a fact? Try looking up the history of caseinate glues.

But "glue" isn't necessary to make a watertight joint. Ever hear of "caulk"?
Shucks, well made lapped planks don't even need that.

In other words.... Jax, you're just plain wrong about this. Sorry, I tried to break
it to you gently.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

JAXAshby

dougie, engineering genius that youare what with all the reading of college
physics and engineering textbooks you read, should know that the end of planks
are under some considerable stress and strain as the hull works in the seas.

I know you don't believe you are stupid, but everyone else believes you are.

JAXAshby wrote:
not well. It was well into the 20th century before glues became good

enough to
be trusted for plank ends under the waterline. At least in the kinds of

boats
discussed here.

Is that a fact? Try looking up the history of caseinate glues.

But "glue" isn't necessary to make a watertight joint. Ever hear of "caulk"?
Shucks, well made lapped planks don't even need that.

In other words.... Jax, you're just plain wrong about this. Sorry, I tried to
break
it to you gently.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

DSK

JAXAshby wrote:
oh, but I do indeed know, dougies. you just couldn't understand the six and
seven letter words I used to explain it.

Actually, your explanation (what there was of it) was commendably concise. And
you didn't throw in a lot of words like "sine function" at random.

But it was also incomplete, since you left out the two biggest reasons why tip
vortexes form in the first place. If you look back to see my answer to your
explanatory post, you'll see at least part of what you left out.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King