Thom Stewart

Default BOAT SHOW REPORT.. MC & capsize screen

Doug,

Would you like a picture of my boat's keel and the modification to force
the vortex down to the wing where it is controlled and kept from
becoming a tip vortex?

Ole Thom

Jonathan Ganz

Default BOAT SHOW REPORT

If he was speaking of pooping then he was speaking of you! YOU WIN!

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
I spoke of Pooping and he was quite ready to point out on a 1/4 sea the
square stern was far better. He also pointed out most hulls with
"Hogging problems" were double enders.

A bad following sea can shove a square stern out of it's riding position

and is
more likely to pitchpole.

RB

DSK

(JAXAshby) wrote
what a ****in' idgit you are.

Shen44 wrote:
In truth, you may have a high IQ

Then again, maybe not.

DSK

DSK

Default BOAT SHOW REPORT... canoe sterns again

Thom Stewart wrote:
Cheap Shot MC,

Maybe, just maybe, if that POS the Kiwi's used to defend the Am Cup had
a Canoe Stern it might has kept the stern wave out of the Cockpit (
Another cheap shot,sorry)

That Kiwi loss may be what soured MC's grapes. He was full of brag &
bluster before the AmCup.

Doug, what makes the canoe stern stronger than a flat keel?

You mean stronger than a flat transom? The basic reason is that it is
closer to a triangle than a box. If you look at any high strength
structure, you'll see triangles... in bridges, cranes, etc etc. Each
side of a triangle supports the other two sides in either compression or
tension, whereas a square structure needs diagonal braces.

.....Is the strength
necessary?

Well, no. But stronger is better... all else being equal. Of course, it
never is equal. The loss of reserve bouyancy and the short steep run
(aft hull sections) of a canoe stern hurts a sailboat's performance much
more than the added strength helps (in other words, adding weight to
beef up a transom is considered better for most purposes).

....So many sailboats are built minus sterns. Are you sure the
strength holds up for Fibreglas? ( All leading questions)

Sure. It's inherent in the shape of the structure. It's like asking "Is
a triangle really stronger than a square?" However, with modern
materials, the added weight of building a transom strong enough (or an
open stern) is not difficult, nor is the weight penalty very much.

I spoke to Pedersen about the Canoe Stern. He replied; "The only thing a
pointy stern is good for is going backwards!"

heh heh he may be like a Ford guy answering a question about Chevys.

Seriously, to some extent he's right, but then a short anser ignores the
issues at hand.

I spoke of Pooping and he was quite ready to point out on a 1/4 sea the
square stern was far better. He also pointed out most hulls with
"Hogging problems" were double enders.

Probably due to age & construction method as much as anything else. I've
certainly seen a lot of boats with transoms (and counter sterns) that
had hogging problems.

Why don't both of YOUSE GUY ease up?

Sure... let the other guy go first

DSK

Navvie

I am speechless at the rubbish he just posted that's all. I'll post a
better descripotion in another thread. Then you'll see that Dougs idea
of winglets inducing vortices at the fin trailing edge to 'counteract
it' is just more BS.

Some times even I can't stand to wade into DBS!

Cheers

Donal wrote:
"MC" wrote in message

Good lord.

Very "Bobesque".

Offensive, and yet totally devoid of any real information.

Regards

Donal