JAXAshby

Default BOAT SHOW REPORT

If I were going to sea, balls to the wall,
I would want to be sailing a Valiant.

you might rather wish to be on an Ingrid or a Rhodes 41, or a Bermuda 40, or a
Luders 33, or a Luders 45, or an Eric 32, or a Colin Archer anything, or a
Vanguard, or a whole host of other boats. This is *if* you are going "balls to
the wall".
Donal

"MC" wrote in message

It sounds a bit like you haven't slept while underway. If a boat tacks
while you are unsecured, and asleep, it can be bloody uncomfortable.

That's why you fit lee cloths.

Yeah, I know that I should have done that by now. I usually use kit bags,
and anything else I can find to jam myself in. I suppose that if I had the
use the main cabin, then there would be lee cloths.

Cheers

However, there is a lot of truth on both sides of the argument in this
thread. Elanor Tims (or Timms??), recently told us that her boat sunk

by
6" after she got it prepared for an extended cruise. My boat sinks by
about an inch when we prepare for our 2 week summer cruises.

Only an inch? I'd say when fully loaded with food, booze, water and
diesel for a 4 week trip we the WL is half way up the boot topping.

Food, and booze are much cheaper at our destination (France usually).

Regards

Donal
--

Cheers

Bobsprit

I suppose that if I had the
use the main cabin, then there would be lee cloths.

Lee clothes!!!?? No gadgets!!! According to ganzy that is!

RB
felton

On 20 Jan 2004 12:02:54 GMT, (JAXAshby) wrote:

Although I have been "landlocked" for my sailing for the last 15
years,

Yup

it is at the home of Valiant Yachts. If there is a more
seaworthy boat built, I have yet to see it.

Go to any sal****er marina and you will find plenty of more seaworthy boats
than a Valiant. Valiant is a huge marketing success but it is generally
considered by knowledgeable, scientifically trained sailors to be about a knot
and half slower for its size and design than it should be. Salty looking boat,
though, and that does have market appeal.

I don't think it has been in production this long becuase it is "salty
looking". I watch these things being built and shipped out all over
the world. These things are built and well thought out. Perhaps it
is slower than it needs be because of the strenght of it's
construction? Is that a bad thing for a "seaworthy boat"? By
"scientifically trained sailors", who would that be in reference to?

Bob Perry would say different, but then Bob has publicly called me an asshole,
but Bob has also publicly stated that he has struggled with math all his life,
a statement on his part that I do not doubt.

Actually, I don't doubt either statement What does his math
aptitude have to do with anything? Are you suggesting that yacht
design is ultimately a mathmatical exercise and the best slide rule
operator will design the best boat? That would be an interesting
theory to test. Do you have any evidence of that linkage?

I think Bob's success speaks for itself. The boat has been a success,
commercially and out on the water for over 30 years and is in the
Sailboat Hall of Fame. If "scientifically trained sailors" wish to
nitpick, then so be it.

Scott Vernon

"Horvath" wrote this crap:

Interiors are secondary to actually sailing.

Only us gay guys care.

Scott Vernon

No. They stopped to go 'shopping' on the second day.

SV

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Was it enough?

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
Nah, he already told us he provisions for 2 days before a long 3 day
passage.

Scotty

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
I shudder to think... I'm amazed he didn't eat the keel being away

from
a decent meal for so long.

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
"Bobsprit" wrote

You know nothing about boats
or gear because you don't own more than a daysailing toy.

Watch out Jon, he's been on 3 day sailing passages.

3 DAYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BWAHaHahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa

Scott Vernon

course those 'gadgets' are only useful if they have good batteries in them.

SV

No gadgets!!!

RB

Martin Baxter

JAXAshby wrote:

Bob Perry would say different, but then Bob has publicly called me an asshole,
but Bob has also publicly stated that he has struggled with math all his life,
a statement on his part that I do not doubt.

Ah, that statement has so much meaning, coming from someone who could not come
up with an equation to define a catenary.

Cheers
Marty
Martin Baxter

felton wrote:

Ganz didn't make that statement...I did.

Shh, Booby's having an AOL moment.

Cheers
Marty