Flying Tadpole

Default Hull Flexing

I've corrected your spelling
FT

The navigator© wrote:

Hormonal you say? Are you talking about the great clouds of raging
oestrogone from madame Vinyl that Mooron is lapping up like a lap dog?

Cheers MC

katysails wrote:

I think Navvie's cats ate it. Blame him. Might explain whe he's so
tetchy these days -

MC probabl;y ate it himself...he's been known to do strange things like that in the past....mibkeys, ua know....As far as the tetchy goes, he is rather irritable lately, isn't he? Maybe it's hormonal?

katysails

Hormonal you say? Are you talking about the great clouds of aging=20
oestrogen from madame Vinyl that Mooron is lapping up like a lap dog?

No....I was thinking more of leaking away of testesterone?

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Peter Wiley

Yeah, but the difference is, I like it that way. Plus, Tasmania is part
of a larger economy (lucky for us 'cos we'd be in the ****
otherwise...) and you're hangers-on at the fringe, becoming
increasingly irrelevant except as a cheap holiday destination with each
passing year. We've even cut you lot off from our social security
system because you kept exporting people here that we wouldn't normally
let into the country.

We in Tasmania are parasites, you are beggars. Australia more or less
owns NZ these days. You should have become another Australian state
back when we offered you the choice. Now you're sinking into 3rd World
irrelevance. A nice place to visit, full of old cars and genteel
poverty, unable to maintain a modern medical system or a functional
economy. You have a small population base, few valuable raw materials
and have spent all your time making it very attractive for smart, well
educated people to leave NZ for the better economy & lower tax regime
of Australia, thereby guaranteeing that you can't duplicate the
performance of Singapore, which started off a long way behind NZ and is
now a long way in front.

If the exchange rate drops some more, I'll come over for a holiday in
the Bay of Islands. Cheaper to fly to NZ from Sydney than it is to fly
to Tasmania right now.

PDW

In article ,
The_navigator© wrote:

All? Hey I've got NZ while you've got Tasmania!

Cheers MC

Peter Wiley wrote:

Yep. It's that time of the year. And they've lost the rugby. We lose,
we shrug it off. One small scratch, it buffs out. When *all* they have
WRT a chance of prestige is riding on a football game, losing is a much
bigger deal.

PDW

DSK

The navigator© wrote:

So you are saying it's Hookian until failure ?
If you look at a mast, CFRP has far more flex than Al before failure.

Nope, sorry, wrong again. Aluminum can bend & stretch a lot further before breaking than
carbon fiber can. You either must be thinking of load cycles to fatigue, or else you're
just making up malarkey to sound impressive.

Carbon fiber also requires an order
of magnitude (or thereabouts) greater skill & preparation & tooling to make good
secondary bonds.

The bond in all FRP is plastic to plastic. There is no difference
whatsoever in that regarrd for CFRP.

You're saying that one can wet out and lay up carbon fiber just like fiberglass?

Try it and see.

Where do you get these ideas Doug?

Well, I don't just make them up out of thin air like you apparently do.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Martin Baxter

DSK wrote:

The navigator© wrote:

So you are saying it's Hookian until failure ?
If you look at a mast, CFRP has far more flex than Al before failure.

Nope, sorry, wrong again. Aluminum can bend & stretch a lot further before breaking than
carbon fiber can. You either must be thinking of load cycles to fatigue, or else you're
just making up malarkey to sound impressive.

Carbon fiber also requires an order
of magnitude (or thereabouts) greater skill & preparation & tooling to make good
secondary bonds.

The bond in all FRP is plastic to plastic. There is no difference
whatsoever in that regarrd for CFRP.

You're saying that one can wet out and lay up carbon fiber just like fiberglass?

Try it and see.

I was under the impression that CFRP parts had to be baked in a kiln. I am
curious
as to why you can't just wet it out and let the resin/epoxy cure like we do with
glass?

Cheers
Marty (everybody is ignorant, just about different subjects)
DSK

Martin Baxter wrote:

I was under the impression that CFRP parts had to be baked in a kiln. I am
curious
as to why you can't just wet it out and let the resin/epoxy cure like we do with
glass?

There are a couple of issues, one is that because of the surface properties of the carbon,
resins don't like to adhere to it and will not penetrate the weave unless forced through by
pressure. Some resins will not work at all with carbon fiber.

Another is that the relative density of the resin and the cloth is out of whack, and the cloth
will "float" itself right out of the resin if allowed to.

I think that baking in a kiln is desirable for some types of resin that work well with carbon
fiber, and the overpressure helps ensure good penetration.

Cheers
Marty (everybody is ignorant, just about different subjects)

I'm sure no expert on the subject, but earlier this year started corresponding with a builder
of boats who does great work in carbon fiber, in the hopes that we will some day soon have a
great looking super light tender.

http://community.webshots.com/album/82561569ZSrzNA

BTW I might be wrong about carbon fiber masts, thinking about carbon fiber vaulting poles...
they don't make those out of aluminum. However the issue of low yield before failure *is* a
well known factor in carbon fiber structures, I'm not sure how they get around this with pole
vault poles.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Martin Baxter

DSK wrote:

BTW I might be wrong about carbon fiber masts, thinking about carbon fiber vaulting poles...
they don't make those out of aluminum. However the issue of low yield before failure *is* a
well known factor in carbon fiber structures, I'm not sure how they get around this with pole
vault poles.

Doug, I believe that so called "Carbon Fiber" pole vault poles are actualy
a mixture of carbon and traditional glass.

Cheers
Marty
The_navigator©

He's not leaking he's losing it in great spirts...

Cheers MC

katysails wrote:

Hormonal you say? Are you talking about the great clouds of aging
oestrogen from madame Vinyl that Mooron is lapping up like a lap dog?

No....I was thinking more of leaking away of testesterone?

The_navigator©

Fair enough. Still I'm living in the best sailing region in the world.

Cheers MC