DSK

Default Hull Flexing

Martin Baxter wrote:

I was under the impression that CFRP parts had to be baked in a kiln. I am
curious
as to why you can't just wet it out and let the resin/epoxy cure like we do with
glass?

There are a couple of issues, one is that because of the surface properties of the carbon,
resins don't like to adhere to it and will not penetrate the weave unless forced through by
pressure. Some resins will not work at all with carbon fiber.

Another is that the relative density of the resin and the cloth is out of whack, and the cloth
will "float" itself right out of the resin if allowed to.

I think that baking in a kiln is desirable for some types of resin that work well with carbon
fiber, and the overpressure helps ensure good penetration.

Cheers
Marty (everybody is ignorant, just about different subjects)

I'm sure no expert on the subject, but earlier this year started corresponding with a builder
of boats who does great work in carbon fiber, in the hopes that we will some day soon have a
great looking super light tender.

http://community.webshots.com/album/82561569ZSrzNA

BTW I might be wrong about carbon fiber masts, thinking about carbon fiber vaulting poles...
they don't make those out of aluminum. However the issue of low yield before failure *is* a
well known factor in carbon fiber structures, I'm not sure how they get around this with pole
vault poles.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King