HK HK is offline

Default Prepaid cell phones

BAR wrote:
HK wrote:
Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 07:24:02 -0400, John H.
wrote:

I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and
getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.
Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and
how do
you like it?

I've had the that T-Mobile deal for about 3 years.
If you do the $100 right off, after a year you can buy any amount to
renew for another year. Gold member or something like that.
Last year I think I bought a $40 refill because we still had about 800
minutes left.
I still don't know any service that's cheaper for "light" use.
But.......any phone is worthless if there's no coverage.
From Chicago to Florida - which is where we use it, it's been perfect.
So check coverage first.
I've heard coverage maps aren't always indicative of "good" coverage,
so it would be best to actually find somebody who uses it your area
and get the straight skinny.
We bought here in Chicago with local use in mind, but it's worked out
for out trips too. Dumb luck.
--Vic

You used only 200 minutes over an entire year?

Crikey.

We go through about 700 minutes a month...of course there are four of
us on the family plan, one is a teenager still in high school and
another is a college student. They talk a lot, but they IM even more.
Thank goodness IM's are free. Even better, *I* don't IM. At all. Hate it.

IM's aren't free. IM's are the phone company's bread and butter these days.

Our plan includes "unlimited" IMs on four cell phones for $10 a month.
That's pretty much free. The three other users burn up the airwaves with
hundreds of messages each a month.

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 11:06:25 -0400, John H.
wrote:

All we're looking for is basic service. The bells and whistles don't mean
much.

I used a Tracfone prepaid for many years and it provided good, low
cost service in the NY metro area and most other places. They use
different networks depending on location.

More recently I've been using Sprint and Verizon phones which both
have good service all over the east coast, Verizon being the better of
the two.

Senior Member

On Jul 5, 12:00*pm, John H. wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 08:48:43 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Jul 5, 11:06*am, John H. wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 07:31:04 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Jul 5, 10:00*am, John H. wrote:
On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:46:38 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III" "Reggie is

Here wrote:
HK wrote:
John H. wrote:
I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.
Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and how do
you like it?

*snerk

A cell phone is a cell phone is a cell phone, even though there are
hundreds if not thousands of different ones. If the cell phone works
well as a cell phone, and most do, the prepaid bit won't make a difference.

Snerk, *Wrong again.

WAFA!

I wonder how many posts he'll make to me before he realizes I won't
respond. I think it's about 450 so far.- Hide quoted text -

I don't even read it anymore once I see it's WAFA. It's only going to
be a cut and paste from Google, presented as something a "teacher"
told him.... WAFA!
Anyway. Here in the NE corridor we have had ATT-SBC for well over a
decade after trying "you can't hear me now", and a couple of others. I
have never not been able to make a call, from anywhere, save a couple
of dead spots here and there on my way to Chicago once... There also
used to be a spot on Route 9 (CT) but they put a new tower in. My
phone always has service, even when everyone elses (other services)
dosen't. A lot has to do with the phone too. Over the years as phones
and antennas got smaller or dissapperard, I did note some models did
better than others.

My dad has verison because he needs the voice activation and only uses
it about once or twice a week. We pay about 5 dollars a month for his
phone. Sometimes his service is weaker than mine.

The Iphone seems strong in most places for Mrs. JW,. * I have always
stuck to basic phones and care more about signal strength than bells
and whistles though..

Agreed!

All we're looking for is basic service. The bells and whistles don't mean
much.- Hide quoted text -

OTOH.. after using the Iphone on a few outings for radar, google, road
services, food, and a giggle here and there. I actually think my next
phone will be an IPhone. I really like the tool all around aside from
the shape. * You all know I am a "tool" guy, I have used my wifes
phone, and I will be getting one.. Take it for what it's worth

Scotty

The difference is this. You're smart. I'm not very. It would take me the
rest of my life to figure out how to use the damn thing!- Hide quoted text -

Nope, works just like any windows desktop / internet browser. Point
and click, real websites,,, easy, if you can use google, or a reader
or even do email and surf the web, you already know how to use the
IPhone... Go check one out at the phonestore..

On Jul 5, 12:01*pm, HK wrote:
BAR wrote:
wrote:

I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and
getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.
Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and
how do
you like it?

I've had the that T-Mobile deal for about 3 years.
If you do the $100 right off, after a year you can buy any amount to
renew for another year. *Gold member or something like that.
Last year I think I bought a $40 refill because we still had about 800
minutes left.
I still don't know any service that's cheaper for "light" use.
But.......any phone is worthless if there's no coverage.
From Chicago to Florida - which is where we use it, it's been perfect..
[...]

hundreds of messages each a month.- Hide quoted text -

Nice dance steps, WAFA....

HK wrote:
BAR wrote:
wrote:

I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and
getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.
Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and
how do
you like it?

I've had the that T-Mobile deal for about 3 years.
If you do the $100 right off, after a year you can buy any amount to
renew for another year. Gold member or something like that.
Last year I think I bought a $40 refill because we still had about 800
minutes left.
I still don't know any service that's cheaper for "light" use.
But.......any phone is worthless if there's no coverage.
From Chicago to Florida - which is where we use it, it's been perfect.
[...]

Like I said, IM's aren't free. And I seriously doubt that you have
unlimited IMs on 4 lines for $10 per month.
HK HK is offline

BAR wrote:
HK wrote:
BAR wrote:
wrote:

I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and
getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.
Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and
how do
you like it?

I've had the that T-Mobile deal for about 3 years.
If you do the $100 right off, after a year you can buy any amount to
renew for another year. Gold member or something like that.
Last year I think I bought a $40 refill because we still had about 800
minutes left.
I still don't know any service that's cheaper for "light" use.
But.......any phone is worthless if there's no coverage.
From Chicago to Florida - which is where we use it, it's been perfect.
[...]

That's what it costs on the family plan, bozo.

HK HK is offline

BAR wrote:
HK wrote:
BAR wrote:
HK wrote:
BAR wrote:
wrote:

I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and
getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100
and
they're good for a year.
Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom
and how do
you like it?

I've had the that T-Mobile deal for about 3 years.
If you do the $100 right off, after a year you can buy any amount to
renew for another year. Gold member or something like that.
Last year I think I bought a $40 refill because we still had
about 800
minutes left.
I still don't know any service that's cheaper for "light" use.
But.......any phone is worthless if there's no coverage.
From Chicago to Florida - which is where we use it, it's been
[...]

With my carrier. You do know you can negotiate discounts off the rate
card with most carriers if you are at or near the end of your contract
and you threaten to switch to another carrier. Works with cell phone
companies, works with cable providers.

Use your superior education and business acumen to deal with your
carrier. Or be a schnook and pay what they ask.

Your boy Loogy probably pays more than the rate card says, stupid as he is.