posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Cell phones at sea

Hi all,

I am a final year undergraduate student, studying Marine Navigation
(BSc) at the University of Plymouth (UK), conducting a study of the use
of cell phones by recreational boaters. This includes an assessment of
the practices and views of a broad cross section of all recreational
boaters, and I would be very grateful if you would contribute to the
study by taking two minutes to complete a short and anonymous
questionnaire. Please follow the link below to access the
questionnai

http://facultyj.hs.plymouth.ac.uk/cellphone/

Many thanks,

Nick Loewendahl

If you would like a copy of the completed report please email me with
your contact details.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

I think even a local sailor should carry several types of communication
devices.

We carry:

Cell phone
Fixed VHF
Backup Fixed VHF
Handheld VHF
FRS Radios
Mobile and fixed emergency antennas

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think even a local sailor should carry several types of

communication
devices.

We carry:

Cell phone
Fixed VHF
Backup Fixed VHF
Handheld VHF
FRS Radios
Mobile and fixed emergency antennas

Holy Crap!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

Scotty wrote:
"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...

I think even a local sailor should carry several types of

communication

devices.

We carry:

Cell phone
Fixed VHF
Backup Fixed VHF
Handheld VHF
FRS Radios
Mobile and fixed emergency antennas

Holy Crap!

Hey, he needs that much help...
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

I believe open flames can also be used for distress signals.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scotty" wrote in message

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think even a local sailor should carry several types of

communication
devices.

We carry:

Cell phone
Fixed VHF
Backup Fixed VHF
Handheld VHF
FRS Radios
Mobile and fixed emergency antennas

Holy Crap!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"katy" wrote in message
Scotty wrote:
"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...

I think even a local sailor should carry several types of

communication

devices.

We carry:

Cell phone
Fixed VHF
Backup Fixed VHF
Handheld VHF
FRS Radios
Mobile and fixed emergency antennas

Holy Crap!

Hey, he needs that much help...

Why? If his pizza shoppe doesn't get an order from him at least
every two hours they'll send out a search party.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scout

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I am a final year undergraduate student, studying Marine Navigation
(BSc) at the University of Plymouth (UK), conducting a study of the use
of cell phones by recreational boaters. This includes an assessment of
the practices and views of a broad cross section of all recreational
boaters, and I would be very grateful if you would contribute to the
study by taking two minutes to complete a short and anonymous
questionnaire. Please follow the link below to access the
questionnai

http://facultyj.hs.plymouth.ac.uk/cellphone/

Any money in renting mast space as a mobile tower/repeater?
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

I wonder why Scotty is so bothered by a boat carrying a toddler also
carrying 6 lbs of extra safety communications gear?

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

Capt. Rob wrote:
I wonder why Scotty is so bothered by a boat carrying a toddler also
carrying 6 lbs of extra safety communications gear?

RB
35s5
NY

Because it's obsessive..if you're that aftaid something's going to
happen, then do don't him sailing....
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Because it's obsessive..if you're that aftaid something's going to
happen, then do don't him sailing....

Almost every boat I know of carries a cell phone (because everyone has
one these days), a handheld and a fixed radio. So all I carry that's
"extra" is the spare radio and emergency antennas. I've acquired a few
radios over the last few years, so keeping a spare on board with a
little rollup antenna is not exactly panic in the wings, Katy. The FRS
radios are for fun, in case you thought anyone was going to call for
help on them.

RB
35s5
NY