posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Default World's Best Ear Phones

Premium high end:

http://www.etymotic.com/

Look at these:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.aspx

Oh my God! Read this:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.aspx

I smell smackdown:

http://www.etymotic.com/pdf/er4-hpr-1994.pdf

These buds are for you!

http://www.etymotic.com/pdf/er4-srsv-1999.pdf

Obviously superior:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4-ts.aspx

Much less driver mass to move, much less distortion, direct coupling to
eardrum!!!

These things can't be beat!

SMACKDOWN!!!!

Glory!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Much less driver mass to move, much less distortion, direct coupling to

eardrum!!!

These things can't be beat!

Sadly they don't work for everyone, because in-ear designs don't fit
everyone. Also: No one has beaten large transducer designs that also
cover the entire ear offering non-electronic noise control. The in ear
designs fail to do this, unable to control sound transmitted in the
areas surrounding the canal.
Do some research, Bob. Or better yet, try some premium ear buds vs. a
1100.00 pair of Stax. There's simply no comparison.
And there is no true direct coupling to the eardrum, which would be
very dangerous.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ps.com...
Much less driver mass to move, much less distortion, direct coupling to

eardrum!!!

These things can't be beat!

Sadly they don't work for everyone, because in-ear designs don't fit
everyone.

Ever hear of custom molded ear pieces?

http://www.westone.com/

Also: No one has beaten large transducer designs that also
cover the entire ear offering non-electronic noise control.

Beaten? By what standard?

Here ya go:

http://www.ultimateears.com/resource...g-earbuds.html

The in ear
designs fail to do this, unable to control sound transmitted in the
areas surrounding the canal.

Are you talking bone conduction? The Petrus region of the ear canal is
isolated from the cranial structure. More noise travels in the Eustachian
canals than is conducted in areas closer than the styloid process. Bone
conduction occurs over the entire skull.

Do some research, Bob.

I have.

Or better yet, try some premium ear buds vs. a
1100.00 pair of Stax. There's simply no comparison.

To what? Discount store head phones?

And there is no true direct coupling to the eardrum, which would be
very dangerous.

But yet it is done:

http://www.otologics.com/us/index_us.cfm

SMACKDOWN!!!

Glory!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

More noise travels in the Eustachian
canals than is conducted in areas closer than the styloid process. Bone

conduction occurs over the entire skull.

Sorry, the fleshy areas around the ear transmit sound, which is why
proper ear speakers have a large surround. Noise cancelation in earbuds
is achieved via lower quality sound. I've tried them. Those earbuds are
toys. Are you aware that some high end earspeakers actually have their
own amps matched to them?
And these sure aren't 40 dollar Apple earbuds that MM thinks so highly
of, now are they? Stop being silly. Your new boy got busted on the Ipod
video (which he then admitted to), got it wrong on the AV cable,
variable EQ, and of course the el-cheapo earbuds that are ranked badly
on Apple's own website.
Thread over, dude! Totally.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
More noise travels in the Eustachian
canals than is conducted in areas closer than the styloid process. Bone

conduction occurs over the entire skull.

Sorry, the fleshy areas around the ear transmit sound, which is why
proper ear speakers have a large surround.

Wrong again. Here's what bone conduction can do:

http://www.entific.com/directBoneConduction.asp

Note that driving one side of the head also drives the opposite ear.

Flesh is highly attenuating to acoustics.

BIG FLOUNDER SMACK DOWN!

Glory!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Flesh is highly attenuating to acoustics.

But it's not consistent person to person so it must be removed from the
equation in headphone design. The earbuds don't do it well, which is
why they are not the industry or audiophile standard...not even close.
Now this thread is really over and you've been beaten on every point
again. The reason? I've used pro Stax and Senheiser phones and some
pretty okay buds as well. You're just googling up crap the same way MM
did.
See if you can present anything here to pull me back in...or this
thread is dead by my hands!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Side by side comparison, sealed ear phones vs Etymotic ear buds:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...honesurvey.htm

Etymotic has superior external noise suppression!

Measured!

Science!

KABLAAM!!!!!!!

SLAPDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!

Praise!

Amen!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Zzzzzz....note that your ear buds lost that test to SMALL convensional
headphones costiing less! How do you think it would do against serious
full cover earspeakers??? The very fact that earbuds provide no base
impact and change sonic signatures vastly from person to person, is why
they can't rival better phones, like my Stax. Note that the Stax are
mentioned in that review as beinging another level.
Why do you provide links that ruin your own trolls? Was that the only
way to keep my talking to you? How lonely are you? Quit your
googling...it's only making you look more and more foolish. So far you
haven't slapped down anyone anymore than Joe or MM could, and yelling
that you have...well, I suspect if anyone in this group could ever win
a single battle with me, they'd call it a day.
But it aint happenin'!

Bob, you haven't been "slapped down'" just easily beaten on every level
by me in every debate or discussion we've ever had. Thus it remains,
thus it shall always be.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Bottom line is those Stax are not portable ear phones for Ipods. In
fact,
they need a high voltage amplifier!

Bob, there you go again. You shot yourself in the foot. The whole point
was whether or not the apple earbuds are good. I guess you think they
are. Stereophile put those high end buds on their B list. The later
Stax and 4K Senhiesers made the A list. Nuff said. No earbud will ever
match a large headphone and now you're crying about size and power????
Next you'll complain about price, but you started this dumb discussion.
My whole point was that the Apple earbuds at 39 bucks are a joke. Go
try a pair and get back to me. Lowest rated on Apple's site. As you
lose each debate the best you can do is try to change the topic.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Commodore Joe Redcloud" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:08:55 GMT, "Bob Crantz"
wrote:

Not only will sound
not leak in, but sound will not leak out to disturb others. The ER-4's are
indispensable tools for recording engineers especially when monitoring in
loud environment and particularly where it is essential to audition every
detail of the recording

They may be passable in a loud enviironment for someone like an audio
engineeer
doing sopund for a remote newscast in a war zone. I'll give you that much.

For work in a recording studio, I doubt you'll ever see those things used.
There
isn't a studio in the world that would use those things for mixdown. They
use
JBL speakers for that. It's almost universal. Nobody in their right mind
does
mixdown using headphones. For that matter, when I was working on projects
with
Andrew Loog Oldham (Produced first 6 albums for the Rolling Stones) in the
early
70's at Syncron Studios in Wallingford CT, the chief engineer used to take
copy of the mix on cassette and go out to his car to make sure the
finished
product would also be "right" on a car stereo. That engineer was Doc
Cavalier,
who invented DBX among other accomplishments.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Krusty,

They do work very well for suppressing outside noise and would be regarded
in high noise environments.

I don't think you'll see them too often in recording studios either. The
recording engineers have their own preferences, the methods and equipment
have their own legacies.

Do you know a guy named John Puhl?

Amen!