Default Prepaid cell phones

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:48:15 -0400, HK wrote:

You used only 200 minutes over an entire year?

Crikey.

We go through about 700 minutes a month...of course there are four of us
on the family plan, one is a teenager still in high school and another
is a college student. They talk a lot, but they IM even more. Thank
goodness IM's are free. Even better, *I* don't IM. At all. Hate it.

How it worked was first year got about 1200 minutes off the bat for
about $160 which included a Motorola flip phone still in use.
There was a 200 min bonus deal.
Second year I did $100 which gave us a total of 1600 mins because we
still had 600 left. You don't lose old minutes if you re-up.
Last year still has 800 left.
So we use about 600 a year - most talking to the kids when we're on
vacation.
They all have different stuff, including U.S Cellular and T-Mobile
family plan - my daughter and her best friend.
Some of my kids have the T-Mobile family with my ex.
The thing about the T-Mobile is there are no roaming charges.
One son - the proverbial yakker - has a US Cellular that runs $60-80
month and just showed up this morning back from Tennessee unannounced
because the roaming charges are so high.
Forget to give him *MY* T-Mobile prepaid that the wife gave me for my
birthday and I have never used and usually forget to carry.
Waste of money.
No, I don't like cell phones. Can't see the buttons.
But they are nice to have for the road so we have them.

--Vic

On Jul 5, 8:49*am, HK wrote:
John H. wrote:
I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.

Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and how do
you like it?

*snerk

A cell phone is a cell phone is a cell phone, even though there are
hundreds if not thousands of different ones. If the cell phone works
well as a cell phone, and most do, the prepaid bit won't make a difference.

What makes the difference is the coverage and strength of the network.

What you need to do is check the coverage maps against where you plan to
be. If the coverage is pretty good, you'll be ok. If not, you'll be out
of touch. I sort of recall the coverage for prepaid was different than
the "plan" phones, but maybe that no longer is true.

Where I live and work and to most of the places to which I travel,
Verizon provides the best coverage. AT&T's "coverage" in the area where
I live...sucks. Last time I checked at the Annapolis mall, I checked
with the guys at the booths to find out where their towers were in my
area. T-Mobile was a distant third. But these things change all the time.

WAFA knows everything there is about wireless telephony, and
everything in the universe, just ask him.
HK HK is offline

Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

I don't like them much either when they ring. But I like the convenience
of having a phone when I want it and where I want it so I can dial out.
I use mine a lot when out fishing...it's a much better way than VHF
radio to reach the "captains" of other boats to hear them lie about the
fish they are catching where they are. Out on the Bay these days, cell
coverage is damned good if you are out a bit from the cliffs and woods
on the western shore.

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:54:42 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 08:35:55 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 07:24:02 -0400, John H.
wrote:

I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.

Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and how do
you like it?

I've had the that T-Mobile deal for about 3 years.
If you do the $100 right off, after a year you can buy any amount to
renew for another year. Gold member or something like that.
Last year I think I bought a $40 refill because we still had about 800
minutes left.
I still don't know any service that's cheaper for "light" use.
But.......any phone is worthless if there's no coverage.
From Chicago to Florida - which is where we use it, it's been perfect.
So check coverage first.
I've heard coverage maps aren't always indicative of "good" coverage,
so it would be best to actually find somebody who uses it your area
and get the straight skinny.
We bought here in Chicago with local use in mind, but it's worked out
for out trips too. Dumb luck.

--Vic

Thanks Vic. Good info and I appreciate it. I've not heard of any plans
better than the T-Mobile plan. Have you found any places where you couldn't
get coverage?

Nope. Maybe once in the Smokeys in a deep pass when the wife called
home. Lasted til we rounded a curve.
Keep in mind I've only used it from Chicago to a bit south of Tampa,
nearly always not too many miles from an interstate.
Works real good on the Sunshine Skyway fishing bridge!
I'll bet half our yearly minutes are from that pier or some store my
wife is in asking if she should buy this or that.
I usually talk her out of it, saying we can use that money for bait.

--Vic

On Jul 5, 8:49*am, HK wrote:
John H. wrote:
I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.

Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and how do
you like it?

*snerk

A cell phone is a cell phone is a cell phone, even though there are
hundreds if not thousands of different ones. If the cell phone works
well as a cell phone, and most do, the prepaid bit won't make a difference.

What makes the difference is the coverage and strength of the network.

Horse****. Do you realize that there are many different cell phone
network protocols?

What you need to do is check the coverage maps against where you plan to
be. If the coverage is pretty good, you'll be ok. If not, you'll be out
of touch. I sort of recall the coverage for prepaid was different than
the "plan" phones, but maybe that no longer is true.

Never was true.

Senior Member

On Jul 5, 10:00*am, John H. wrote:
On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:46:38 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III" "Reggie is

Here wrote:
HK wrote:
John H. wrote:
I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.
Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and how do
you like it?

*snerk

A cell phone is a cell phone is a cell phone, even though there are
hundreds if not thousands of different ones. If the cell phone works
well as a cell phone, and most do, the prepaid bit won't make a difference.

Snerk, *Wrong again.

WAFA!

I wonder how many posts he'll make to me before he realizes I won't
respond. I think it's about 450 so far.- Hide quoted text -

I don't even read it anymore once I see it's WAFA. It's only going to
be a cut and paste from Google, presented as something a "teacher"
told him.... WAFA!
Anyway. Here in the NE corridor we have had ATT-SBC for well over a
decade after trying "you can't hear me now", and a couple of others. I
have never not been able to make a call, from anywhere, save a couple
of dead spots here and there on my way to Chicago once... There also
used to be a spot on Route 9 (CT) but they put a new tower in. My
phone always has service, even when everyone elses (other services)
dosen't. A lot has to do with the phone too. Over the years as phones
and antennas got smaller or dissapperard, I did note some models did
better than others.

My dad has verison because he needs the voice activation and only uses
it about once or twice a week. We pay about 5 dollars a month for his
phone. Sometimes his service is weaker than mine.

The Iphone seems strong in most places for Mrs. JW,. I have always
stuck to basic phones and care more about signal strength than bells
and whistles though..

wrote:

I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.

Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and how do
you like it?

I've had the that T-Mobile deal for about 3 years.
If you do the $100 right off, after a year you can buy any amount to
renew for another year. *Gold member or something like that.
Last year I think I bought a $40 refill because we still had about 800
minutes left.
I still don't know any service that's cheaper for "light" use.
But.......any phone is worthless if there's no coverage.
From Chicago to Florida - which is where we use it, it's been perfect.
So check coverage first.
I've heard coverage maps aren't always indicative of "good" coverage,
so it would be best to actually find somebody who uses it your area
and get the straight skinny.
We bought here in Chicago with local use in mind, but it's worked out
for out trips too. *Dumb luck.

--Vic

You used only 200 minutes over an entire year?

Crikey.

We go through about 700 minutes a month...of course there are four of us
on the family plan, one is a teenager still in high school and another
is a college student. They talk a lot, but they IM even more. Thank
goodness IM's are free. Even better, *I* don't IM. At all. Hate it.- Hide quoted text -

You shouldn't allow a teenager to use a cell phone. It's very
dangerous and borders on child abuse. If they are yacking on a cell
phone, then they aren't paying attention and could get hit by a car or
worse.

Here wrote:

HK wrote:
John H. wrote:
I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.
Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and how do
you like it?

*snerk

A cell phone is a cell phone is a cell phone, even though there are
hundreds if not thousands of different ones. If the cell phone works
well as a cell phone, and most do, the prepaid bit won't make a difference.
Snerk, *Wrong again.

WAFA!

I wonder how many posts he'll make to me before he realizes I won't
respond. I think it's about 450 so far.

I don't give a crap whether you respond, or even whether you breathe.
Smoke that. It is low-level fun pointing out what a jerk you are.- Hide quoted text -

No wonder you got bounced out on your ass over at Chuck's place.

wrote:

I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and
getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.
Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and
how do
you like it?

I've had the that T-Mobile deal for about 3 years.
If you do the $100 right off, after a year you can buy any amount to
renew for another year. Gold member or something like that.
Last year I think I bought a $40 refill because we still had about 800
minutes left.
I still don't know any service that's cheaper for "light" use.
But.......any phone is worthless if there's no coverage.
From Chicago to Florida - which is where we use it, it's been perfect.
So check coverage first.
I've heard coverage maps aren't always indicative of "good" coverage,
so it would be best to actually find somebody who uses it your area
and get the straight skinny.
We bought here in Chicago with local use in mind, but it's worked out
for out trips too. Dumb luck.
--Vic

You used only 200 minutes over an entire year?

Crikey.

We go through about 700 minutes a month...of course there are four of us
on the family plan, one is a teenager still in high school and another
is a college student. They talk a lot, but they IM even more. Thank
goodness IM's are free. Even better, *I* don't IM. At all. Hate it.

IM's aren't free. IM's are the phone company's bread and butter these days.
Senior Member

wrote:

I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.

Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and how do
you like it?

I've had the that T-Mobile deal for about 3 years.
If you do the $100 right off, after a year you can buy any amount to
renew for another year. *Gold member or something like that.
Last year I think I bought a $40 refill because we still had about 800
minutes left.
I still don't know any service that's cheaper for "light" use.
But.......any phone is worthless if there's no coverage.
From Chicago to Florida - which is where we use it, it's been perfect..
[...]

worse.- Hide quoted text -

These kids and cell phones.. My kid could text with her hand in her
pocket I hate it when they are talking to you, and texting a friend
at the same time. But then again, I don't go bull****, it's progress.
My other daughter googles everything we talk about, real time. The day
the Mouse crashed and I was in the front yard gearing up, she phoned
me... "dad I crashed"... amazing...

I talk to my 91yo dad about that stuff all the time. He is not a
typical old man though, he loves and embraced technology.. He really
wants to take a couple of laps on a dirtbike. If he thought he could
do it without dieing, he would. He watches the big boys and girls
doing doubles and says "I could have done that".. Anyone who knows him
would agree. He was the strongest and most agile "pound for pound"
person I have ever known. .He was a monster, unloading freight cars
for Finast until he was in his mid 70's 100 pound bags of flower all
day long.. He could have been a great rider and he knows it. But he
still comes to the track any day it's not going to top 90 degrees...
Loves the dust, the kids, the machines.. One impressive old man...