Default Prepaid cell phones

I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.

Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and how do
you like it?
HK HK is offline

John H. wrote:
I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.

Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and how do
you like it?

snerk

A cell phone is a cell phone is a cell phone, even though there are
hundreds if not thousands of different ones. If the cell phone works
well as a cell phone, and most do, the prepaid bit won't make a difference.

What makes the difference is the coverage and strength of the network.

What you need to do is check the coverage maps against where you plan to
be. If the coverage is pretty good, you'll be ok. If not, you'll be out
of touch. I sort of recall the coverage for prepaid was different than
the "plan" phones, but maybe that no longer is true.

Where I live and work and to most of the places to which I travel,
Verizon provides the best coverage. AT&T's "coverage" in the area where
I live...sucks. Last time I checked at the Annapolis mall, I checked
with the guys at the booths to find out where their towers were in my
area. T-Mobile was a distant third. But these things change all the time.

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 07:24:02 -0400, John H.
wrote:

I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.

Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and how do
you like it?

I've had the that T-Mobile deal for about 3 years.
If you do the $100 right off, after a year you can buy any amount to
renew for another year. Gold member or something like that.
Last year I think I bought a $40 refill because we still had about 800
minutes left.
I still don't know any service that's cheaper for "light" use.
But.......any phone is worthless if there's no coverage.
From Chicago to Florida - which is where we use it, it's been perfect.
So check coverage first.
I've heard coverage maps aren't always indicative of "good" coverage,
so it would be best to actually find somebody who uses it your area
and get the straight skinny.
We bought here in Chicago with local use in mind, but it's worked out
for out trips too. Dumb luck.

--Vic

John H. wrote:
I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.

Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and how do
you like it?

The coverage available with T-Mobile is not the same as that available
with the contract cell phone. You need to verify the coverage for the
prepaid plan and make sure it is adequate for where you will be spending
most of your time.

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/Prepaid.aspx

HK HK is offline

wrote:

I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.

Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and how do
you like it?

I've had the that T-Mobile deal for about 3 years.
If you do the $100 right off, after a year you can buy any amount to
renew for another year. Gold member or something like that.
Last year I think I bought a $40 refill because we still had about 800
minutes left.
I still don't know any service that's cheaper for "light" use.
But.......any phone is worthless if there's no coverage.
From Chicago to Florida - which is where we use it, it's been perfect.
So check coverage first.
I've heard coverage maps aren't always indicative of "good" coverage,
so it would be best to actually find somebody who uses it your area
and get the straight skinny.
We bought here in Chicago with local use in mind, but it's worked out
for out trips too. Dumb luck.

--Vic

You used only 200 minutes over an entire year?

Crikey.

We go through about 700 minutes a month...of course there are four of us
on the family plan, one is a teenager still in high school and another
is a college student. They talk a lot, but they IM even more. Thank
goodness IM's are free. Even better, *I* don't IM. At all. Hate it.
HK HK is offline

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
HK wrote:
John H. wrote:
I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and
getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.
Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and
how do
you like it?

snerk

A cell phone is a cell phone is a cell phone, even though there are
hundreds if not thousands of different ones. If the cell phone works
well as a cell phone, and most do, the prepaid bit won't make a
difference.

Snerk, Wrong again.

No, crap for brains, it is the coverage that accompanies the plan that
matters, not the cell phone. It's up to the provider to decide what the
coverage map will be with prepaid versus standard monthly plans. So long
as the phone "matches up" with the frequencies of the plan being used,
the phones as phones are pretty much the same.

wrote:

I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.

Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and how do
you like it?

I've had the that T-Mobile deal for about 3 years.
If you do the $100 right off, after a year you can buy any amount to
renew for another year. Gold member or something like that.
Last year I think I bought a $40 refill because we still had about 800
minutes left.
I still don't know any service that's cheaper for "light" use.
But.......any phone is worthless if there's no coverage.
From Chicago to Florida - which is where we use it, it's been perfect.
So check coverage first.
I've heard coverage maps aren't always indicative of "good" coverage,
so it would be best to actually find somebody who uses it your area
and get the straight skinny.
We bought here in Chicago with local use in mind, but it's worked out
for out trips too. Dumb luck.

--Vic

Thanks Vic. Good info and I appreciate it. I've not heard of any plans
better than the T-Mobile plan. Have you found any places where you couldn't
get coverage?

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:46:38 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III" "Reggie is
Here wrote:

HK wrote:
John H. wrote:
I'm thinking of getting out of the contract cell phone plan and getting a
prepaid plan. T-Mobile, for example, sells 1000 minutes for $100 and
they're good for a year.
Does anyone here have a prepaid mobile phone? If so, with whom and how do
you like it?

snerk

A cell phone is a cell phone is a cell phone, even though there are
hundreds if not thousands of different ones. If the cell phone works
well as a cell phone, and most do, the prepaid bit won't make a difference.

Snerk, Wrong again.

WAFA!

I wonder how many posts he'll make to me before he realizes I won't
respond. I think it's about 450 so far.

HK wrote:
John H. wrote:
[...]

Try reading for content. He was asking about the coverage and plans,
not a specific phone.