HK HK is offline

Default Vista "turns" off kill switch

D.Duck wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
D.Duck wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 17:41:08 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 15:17:58 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"D.Duck" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message
I like Firefox. Actually, I really don't see a huge difference
using it
as compared to IE.
The only annoying issue with it is setting the text size. You can
increase or decrease it easily from the default, but you have to
do it
every time the program starts. It would be nice if it could be
set and
stay set even after closing and then restarting Firefox.

Eisboch
Are you aware of CRTL and minus key, CRTL and plus key. They
easily
change the text size up or down.

Yes, and that's what I do. It sounds stupid and lazy, but I wish
there was
a way to keep it from defaulting back to the "normal" size every
time you
open Firefox. No big deal, but it's the only complaint I have with
the
program.

Eisboch

In the address window of the browser type:

about:config

and hit your enter key. You'l be presented with a few zillion
preference settings for the browser including default font size.

I don't know which one it is off the top of my head, but most of them
can be figured out. Any settings you change will become BOLD, so they
are easy to find again if you decide you chose the wrong setting and
want to change it.

WOW! Thanks.

I need to go back and study it for a while but I suspect the solution
to my complaint is there.

Eisboch
If that doesn't work out, you can always just buy a bigger monitor! LOL

OR you can go into the OS appearance/settings and make a subtle change
or two that will resolve the problem on a permanent basis.
If Vista is the same as earlier MS OSs, 98, etc, that will not affect the
text size in browser windows.

The solution form Salty is what he was looking for.

Yeah, it does. Also you can change the size of displayed type generally in
the appearance submenus by change a percentage number. I've done it for
years.

Do I understand you to say that if, for example, you have a Word doc open
with text entered in the doc and you change the desktop Properties
Appearance Font size from Normal to Extra Large, the text in the doc will
increase in size? Not the doc font size but the physical size as it appears
on your monitor.

If yours does that, you must have a special version of XP that I've never
seen before.

Never tried it in WORD, but when I use my XP laptop and either firefox
or t'bird, my settings changes make the type size in those apps larger.
Next time I fire up the laptop, I'll check word.

"HK" wrote in message
. ..
D.Duck wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

"D.Duck" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

I think the places you'll find the text size change will be the desktop
itself Task Bar, Start menu, Title Bar and Tool Bars of open applications.
Places like that. It will not affect the text size within the browser
window if we're discussing browsers, Word document text size, Excel
spreadsheet text size, to name a few.

HK HK is offline

D.Duck wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
D.Duck wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

"D.Duck" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

Nope. On XP you can go into desktop appearance and change the font and
size of all sorts of things. While the labels in there might read "X" I
found through experimentation they also applied to "Y" in some important
cases.

"D.Duck" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message

[...]

Harry,
I understand you are the computer expert in the NG, and Vista might be
different, but that does not change your font size of the web page
itself in WinXP.

"HK" wrote in message
. ..
D.Duck wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
D.Duck wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

"D.Duck" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

But "Y" doesn't apply to browser window html text or any of my other
examples. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

HK wrote:
D.Duck wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
D.Duck wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

"D.Duck" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

I understand that you are a computer guru, but on WinXP it changes the
font size of the window, icons and menu's, but does not change the font
size of the web page.

D.Duck wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
D.Duck wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
D.Duck wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

"D.Duck" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

It is possible that Harry knows something we don't.
Dan Dan is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message
news
"Mike" wrote in message

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. I was a Vista beta tester, and
when it was over, I was back to XP. They invited me for the SP1 beta, and
I said no thanks.

One other "observation". I stopped using Internet Explorer and use only
Firefox for the web.
I still use Outlook Express for mail and newsgroups because frankly, I've
never experienced a problem with it, nor do I find it difficult or lacking
in features to use. I tried Thunderbird and Agent and just didn't care for
their formats.

Eisboch

Try Seamonkey. It's the best of both worlds integrated into one suite
and it's still from Mozilla.

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 03:36:08 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

I've been reading the various comments regarding Vista versus XP (while
mentally filtering some of the personal BS expressed by some) and have
reached the conclusion that I'll stick with XP for as long as I can.

I've stayed out of this, but I will say this.

My brother runs a huge IT operation and knows his stuff when it comes
to this.

His very words: "Don't buy Vista - it's going to be a diaster - stick
with XP because Vista will last only as long as it takes to build
another XP - it's going to become the ME of the MS ops line."

My wife used to have issues with her two computers until we
finally disabled Norton in them (at the advice of a computer guru). No
problems since. I had one spyware infection on my home laptop a while
back
and SpyDoctor cured it.

If I could I would cancel Norton.

The problem is I don't know what to replace it with.

Norton, I got rid of when it kept locking up the previous desktop computer.
I went to AVG Free and works great. Used it a couple of years now. The
laptop came with McAfee, and just did not like it. Do not remember exactly
why. After a year, I went to AVG Free on the laptop.

"HK" wrote in message

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 17:41:08 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

I don't know which one it is off the top of my head, but most of them
can be figured out. Any settings you change will become BOLD, so they
are easy to find again if you decide you chose the wrong setting and
want to change it.

WOW! Thanks.

I need to go back and study it for a while but I suspect the solution to
my complaint is there.

Eisboch

If that doesn't work out, you can always just buy a bigger monitor! LOL

OR you can go into the OS appearance/settings and make a subtle change or
two that will resolve the problem on a permanent basis.

I've played with that. The problem is that the OS setting is perfect for
all other programs, including Internet Explorer if I happen to open it. If
I change it to increase the text size of Firefox, it also affects the
display of all other programs, making them too big. The Firefox default
text size setting is smaller than that of IE or other programs, at least
that's the case on both of my laptops. You can increase it but the new
setting is active only for the current session. When you close Firefox and
then re-open, the text size defaults back to the smaller size.

It's more of an annoyance on this HP computer due to the "widescreen"
display.

I haven't found the text size setting option yet in about:config but it
must be there somewhere.

Eisboch

"Jeffrey Boyd" is an anagram of "Midget Runt" in Japanese Steve Leyland ASA 5 October 21st 07 03:54 PM
Vista SP1 "on the way" D-unit General 1 April 16th 07 09:23 PM
Battery with "Double the Power" or that takes up "Half the Space" Bart ASA 2 December 6th 06 12:26 AM
Marinco 15 Amp "Marine Grade" 120VAC Receptical v. Leviton "terrestrial grade" Bob Boat Building 6 April 3rd 06 04:24 PM