Default Vista "turns" off kill switch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"D.Duck" wrote in message

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 03:36:08 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

I've been reading the various comments regarding Vista versus XP (while
mentally filtering some of the personal BS expressed by some) and have
reached the conclusion that I'll stick with XP for as long as I can.

I've stayed out of this, but I will say this.

My brother runs a huge IT operation and knows his stuff when it comes
to this.

His very words: "Don't buy Vista - it's going to be a diaster - stick
with XP because Vista will last only as long as it takes to build
another XP - it's going to become the ME of the MS ops line."

My wife used to have issues with her two computers until we
finally disabled Norton in them (at the advice of a computer guru). No
problems since. I had one spyware infection on my home laptop a while
back
and SpyDoctor cured it.

If I could I would cancel Norton.

The problem is I don't know what to replace it with.

I recommend the free version of AVG. I've been using it for a couple of
years with no problems what so ever. My PC is on 24/7, never a virus.

http://www.download.com/3000-2239_4-10761481.html

Promise to be very quiet? like SSSHHHHHhhhhhhh!

I disabled the embedded Norton on this laptop 3 years ago. I ran it for
over two years with no anti-virus software at all without any problems.
About 6 months ago it picked up a worm or something ... didn't hurt the
computer, but was some sort of spyware that put a new line in the registry
file that, in turn, caused the browser to occasionally be bombarded with
unwanted advertising.

After trying a couple of free anti spyware programs (including one from
MS) that were only temporarily successful, I installed "Spyware Doctor"
from PC Tools. It removed all the spyware junk, including the file in the
registry that keep restarting the problem. No problem since, and I still
don't run a full anti-virus program. Spyware Doctor runs in the
background, doesn't seem to slow the computer down at all, automatically
updates, scans and fixes any suspicious files, malware or cookies that may
have been picked up. I haven't had any issues since installing it.

I am also not an addicted web surfer either, so maybe it just hasn't
happened yet.

I like Firefox. Actually, I really don't see a huge difference using it
as compared to IE.
The only annoying issue with it is setting the text size. You can
increase or decrease it easily from the default, but you have to do it
every time the program starts. It would be nice if it could be set and
stay set even after closing and then restarting Firefox.

Eisboch

Are you aware of CRTL and minus key, CRTL and plus key. They easily change
the text size up or down.

On Dec 6, 11:42 am, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:
HK wrote:

I'm using a Russian setup I paid for on my VISTA machine, mainly because
it seems to have a lighter footprint AND it has support forums
frequented by folks who really know their stuff and are ready, willing
and able to help immediately with any idiosyncracies and to crap on the
few "Reggie" types who find their way in there.

I am really glad you found a good forum to help you with your Russian
setup. What Russian setup are you using?

I'm guessing Kaspersky.

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 09:18:49 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

JimH wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
If I could I would cancel Norton.

The problem is I don't know what to replace it with.
AVG Free. Automatic updates. http://free.grisoft.com/

avast! is also good.
JimH,
Can you see how much memory AVG uses. McAfee uses about 25,000K

Less than a quarter of that.

That would have been my guess. McAfee is a memory hog.

A quick look shows AVG processes use about 30k. I don't see that as
an issue.

--Vic

I think you misread the process information.

There are three AVG process typically running:

avgamsvr.exe
avgcc.exe
avgupsvc.exe

Depending what AVG is doing when you look the total can vary from about 2MB
to about 5MB.

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 11:38:59 -0500, HK wrote:

I'm using a Russian setup I paid for on my VISTA machine, mainly because
it seems to have a lighter footprint AND it has support forums
frequented by folks who really know their stuff and are ready, willing
and able to help immediately with any idiosyncracies and to crap on the
few "Reggie" types who find their way in there.

"Russian setup?"
What are the main issues with Vista?
My son says it is slower in booting, and has "eye appeal."
I know it's needed for DirectX 10, which is already required
for some MS games, Halo II being the big one.
There is a improvement over XP for graphical apps.
Personally, if I were offered a choice on a new PC, I would go with
it, but I'm a gamer.
It certainly doesn't scare me as a "personal user."
The resentment against MS is understandable in some respects, but
overall there has been a vast improvement in PC OS's in terms of ease
of use. Much of this "making it easier" is the reason for the
"bloatware" charge.
But I may prejudiced there as I'm fairly "computer literate."
Business use has additional concerns over personal use, but as a
"personal user" can you give some details about Vista's benefits
over XP? Real or perceived.

--Vic

HK HK is offline

Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

I haven't had "issues" with VISTA for a long time. I was an early
adopter, and back then, there were not many anti-vi suites that worked
properly with it. Now, that is not an issue.

Boot speed seems more closely tied to what you are loading up with the
OS in addition to the OS itself. I don't load a lot of autoloading
applications when I boot up the OS.

I don't actually play any computer games, other than an older version of
MS Golf, so I can't really respond to how VISTA is as a gamer's OS.

Other than the fancy windowdressing, the main reason I prefer VISTA is
that the 32-bit version handles more memory than XP Pro.

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 12:08:50 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

.. .

JimH wrote:
If I could I would cancel Norton.

The problem is I don't know what to replace it with.
AVG Free. Automatic updates. http://free.grisoft.com/

avast! is also good.
JimH,
Can you see how much memory AVG uses. McAfee uses about 25,000K

Less than a quarter of that.

That would have been my guess. McAfee is a memory hog.

A quick look shows AVG processes use about 30k. I don't see that as
an issue.

--Vic

I think you misread the process information.

There are three AVG process typically running:

avgamsvr.exe
avgcc.exe
avgupsvc.exe

Depending what AVG is doing when you look the total can vary from about 2MB
to about 5MB.

I've also got guard.exe running using 23k, and a quick google showed
that to be an AVG module. Let me know if it's malware.

--Vic

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 12:08:50 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

. ..

JimH wrote:
[...]

Do you have the pay version of AVG. I'm using the free version and there is
no guide.exe included.

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 12:39:27 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

Do you have the pay version of AVG. I'm using the free version and there is
no guide.exe included.

Free version. It's guard.exe

Oh Oh.

--Vic

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 12:41:44 -0500, " JimH" ask wrote:

guard.exe runs at 1,732k on my machine.

guard.exe -
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/re...?9,89884,90153

I was reading the VM.

--Vic

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 12:39:27 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

Do you have the pay version of AVG. I'm using the free version and there
is
no guide.exe included.

Free version. It's guard.exe

Oh Oh.

--Vic

I did a little searching. The guard.exe file is used by AVG to make sure
some rogue hasn't put a block on the AVG update server in the Windows Hosts
file.

Why my free AVG doesn't have it, I have no idea. For a long time I've had
the habit of periodically checking the Hosts file for unwanted entries.

Hope this helps.

"Jeffrey Boyd" is an anagram of "Midget Runt" in Japanese Steve Leyland ASA 5 October 21st 07 03:54 PM
Vista SP1 "on the way" D-unit General 1 April 16th 07 09:23 PM
Battery with "Double the Power" or that takes up "Half the Space" Bart ASA 2 December 6th 06 12:26 AM
Marinco 15 Amp "Marine Grade" 120VAC Receptical v. Leviton "terrestrial grade" Bob Boat Building 6 April 3rd 06 04:24 PM