Default Vista "turns" off kill switch

"D.Duck" wrote in message

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 03:36:08 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

I've been reading the various comments regarding Vista versus XP (while
mentally filtering some of the personal BS expressed by some) and have
reached the conclusion that I'll stick with XP for as long as I can.

I've stayed out of this, but I will say this.

My brother runs a huge IT operation and knows his stuff when it comes
to this.

His very words: "Don't buy Vista - it's going to be a diaster - stick
with XP because Vista will last only as long as it takes to build
another XP - it's going to become the ME of the MS ops line."

My wife used to have issues with her two computers until we
finally disabled Norton in them (at the advice of a computer guru). No
problems since. I had one spyware infection on my home laptop a while
back
and SpyDoctor cured it.

If I could I would cancel Norton.

The problem is I don't know what to replace it with.

I recommend the free version of AVG. I've been using it for a couple of
years with no problems what so ever. My PC is on 24/7, never a virus.

http://www.download.com/3000-2239_4-10761481.html

Promise to be very quiet? like SSSHHHHHhhhhhhh!

I disabled the embedded Norton on this laptop 3 years ago. I ran it for
over two years with no anti-virus software at all without any problems.
About 6 months ago it picked up a worm or something ... didn't hurt the
computer, but was some sort of spyware that put a new line in the registry
file that, in turn, caused the browser to occasionally be bombarded with
unwanted advertising.

After trying a couple of free anti spyware programs (including one from MS)
that were only temporarily successful, I installed "Spyware Doctor" from PC
Tools. It removed all the spyware junk, including the file in the registry
that keep restarting the problem. No problem since, and I still don't run a
full anti-virus program. Spyware Doctor runs in the background, doesn't
seem to slow the computer down at all, automatically updates, scans and
fixes any suspicious files, malware or cookies that may have been picked up.
I haven't had any issues since installing it.

I am also not an addicted web surfer either, so maybe it just hasn't
happened yet.

I like Firefox. Actually, I really don't see a huge difference using it as
compared to IE.
The only annoying issue with it is setting the text size. You can increase
or decrease it easily from the default, but you have to do it every time the
program starts. It would be nice if it could be set and stay set even after
closing and then restarting Firefox.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

It can be done that way, but through your laptop windoze settings. If
you don't know how to do that, I'll be glad to talk you through it.
HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:03:23 -0500, HK wrote:

JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
John H. wrote:
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:06:00 -0500, " JimH" ask
wrote:

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
If I could I would cancel Norton.

The problem is I don't know what to replace it with.
AVG Free. Automatic updates.
http://free.grisoft.com/

avast! is also good.
JimH,
Can you see how much memory AVG uses. McAfee uses about 25,000K
Less than a quarter of that.
Avast and AVG received the lowest ratings of the 12 anti-virus programs
tested by Consumer Reports. AVG was on the bottom.
Well, that does it for me...a low rating on a computer security program
from Consumers Reports. Yup. That's definitive.
*Norton* was rated #6. ~giggle~

The latest Norton suite is also touted by PC Mag, but I had so many
problems with the 2006 version, I dumped it and I doubt I would try it
again. In addition to the fact it is nearly impossible to remove from
the registry and from "hidden locations," I thought it was incredibly
bloated, and I could tell it was slowing everything down.

Running Symantec Anti-virus on over 3000 desktops and lotsa Netware
and a few Windows servers here without any serious problems. "Norton
Suite" is not primarily an anti-virus, and should not be lumped in
with this discusssion.

The norton internet and security suites include NAV.
HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:31:05 -0500, HK wrote:

wrote:
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:03:23 -0500, HK wrote:

JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..

JimH wrote:
[...]

Understood. However, comparing a "suite" with a standalone anti-virus
and trying to compare footprints and complexity is absurd, and shows a
general lack of understanding of the subject. You may as well compare
MS Notepad to Adobe Professional and complain that the Adobe product
seems big, slow and bloated.

Oh, please. Go split those hairs with the hairsplitters here who give a
damn. I don't. Screw Symantec and its crapware.

HK wrote:

The norton internet and security suites include NAV.

Understood. However, comparing a "suite" with a standalone anti-virus
and trying to compare footprints and complexity is absurd, and shows a
general lack of understanding of the subject. You may as well compare
MS Notepad to Adobe Professional and complain that the Adobe product
seems big, slow and bloated.

Oh, please. Go split those hairs with the hairsplitters here who give a
damn. I don't. Screw Symantec and its crapware.

Wow, what is wrong with you today. His point about the foot print of a
stand along AV and a complete suite including a firewall, spyware
blocker and Internet blocker is 100% on track. I don't like Norton, but
it is not splitting hairs to point out that you are comparing apples and
oranges.

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 12:44:50 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

If I could I would cancel Norton.

The problem is I don't know what to replace it with.

I've been using the free versions of AVG and Zone Alarm
for a couple years, and both have done the trick, AVG
detecting virii, and ZA detecting attempted intrusions,
and "successful" intrusions that attempt to connect to the net.
You might be surprised at how many legit applications do net
connections.
Since AVG/ZA work so well I haven't bothered buying the paid versions,
which offer "tweaking" and more control.
I've gone in the direction of simplicity of late, and it's working.
I do Ghost my OS, and used to reinstall an image if I suspected
malware, but haven't had to do that since installing AVG and ZA.
I have never used CR as an authority on anything, but just as an
additional voice. There is far more computer hardware/software
expertise to be found on the net and NGs than in CR.

--Vic
HK HK is offline

wrote:

[...]

I'm using a Russian setup I paid for on my VISTA machine, mainly because
it seems to have a lighter footprint AND it has support forums
frequented by folks who really know their stuff and are ready, willing
and able to help immediately with any idiosyncracies and to crap on the
few "Reggie" types who find their way in there.

avast! is also good. http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
JimH,
Can you see how much memory AVG uses. McAfee uses about 25,000K

Less than a quarter of that.

That would have been my guess. McAfee is a memory hog.

A quick look shows AVG processes use about 30k. I don't see that as
an issue.

--Vic

HK wrote:

I'm using a Russian setup I paid for on my VISTA machine, mainly because
it seems to have a lighter footprint AND it has support forums
frequented by folks who really know their stuff and are ready, willing
and able to help immediately with any idiosyncracies and to crap on the
few "Reggie" types who find their way in there.

I am really glad you found a good forum to help you with your Russian
setup. What Russian setup are you using?

JimH wrote:
If I could I would cancel Norton.

The problem is I don't know what to replace it with.
AVG Free. Automatic updates. http://free.grisoft.com/

avast! is also good. http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
JimH,
Can you see how much memory AVG uses. McAfee uses about 25,000K
Less than a quarter of that.

That would have been my guess. McAfee is a memory hog.

A quick look shows AVG processes use about 30k. I don't see that as
an issue.

--Vic

I guess McAfee is pretty good then. I have 2GB of Ram, so it has not
been a problem with my new computer, the old one with 512mb was very slow.

"Jeffrey Boyd" is an anagram of "Midget Runt" in Japanese Steve Leyland ASA 5 October 21st 07 03:54 PM
Vista SP1 "on the way" D-unit General 1 April 16th 07 09:23 PM
Battery with "Double the Power" or that takes up "Half the Space" Bart ASA 2 December 6th 06 12:26 AM
Marinco 15 Amp "Marine Grade" 120VAC Receptical v. Leviton "terrestrial grade" Bob Boat Building 6 April 3rd 06 04:24 PM