Default Vista "turns" off kill switch

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 13:30:21 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

I did a little searching. The guard.exe file is used by AVG to make sure
some rogue hasn't put a block on the AVG update server in the Windows Hosts
file.

Why my free AVG doesn't have it, I have no idea. For a long time I've had
the habit of periodically checking the Hosts file for unwanted entries.

Hope this helps.

I looked a bit too and as usual got conflicting info, which I don't
care to sort out. If anything fits the description of "if it ain't
broke don't fix it," it's gotta be PC apps.
I used to like doing it, but that got old and I now only do what's
necessary - to me.

--Vic

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:45:13 -0500, " JimH" ask wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:06:00 -0500, " JimH" ask
wrote:

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
om...
JimH wrote:
If I could I would cancel Norton.

The problem is I don't know what to replace it with.

AVG Free. Automatic updates.
http://free.grisoft.com/

avast! is also good.

JimH,
Can you see how much memory AVG uses. McAfee uses about 25,000K

Less than a quarter of that.

Avast and AVG received the lowest ratings of the 12 anti-virus programs
tested by Consumer Reports. AVG was on the bottom.
--
John H

Sept '07.......you are indeed correct. Trend Micro ($40) rated #1, avast!
(free) rated 11 and AVG (free) rated 12. The only negative comment was
regarding features on AVG.

But I have to doubt the ratings when Symantec (Norton) is rated #6. What a
joke.

In the end, use what you are comfortable with John but I would certainly not
rely on the Consumer Reports ratings when making the decision.

I use McAfee, as I stated many hours ago. I was simply adding information.
A couple here seem to take it personally.
--
John H

"D.Duck" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message

I like Firefox. Actually, I really don't see a huge difference using it
as compared to IE.
The only annoying issue with it is setting the text size. You can
increase or decrease it easily from the default, but you have to do it
every time the program starts. It would be nice if it could be set and
stay set even after closing and then restarting Firefox.

Eisboch

Are you aware of CRTL and minus key, CRTL and plus key. They easily
change the text size up or down.

Yes, and that's what I do. It sounds stupid and lazy, but I wish there was
a way to keep it from defaulting back to the "normal" size every time you
open Firefox. No big deal, but it's the only complaint I have with the
program.

Eisboch

wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 15:17:58 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"D.Duck" wrote in message
om...

"Eisboch" wrote in message

I like Firefox. Actually, I really don't see a huge difference using
it
as compared to IE.
The only annoying issue with it is setting the text size. You can
increase or decrease it easily from the default, but you have to do it
every time the program starts. It would be nice if it could be set and
stay set even after closing and then restarting Firefox.

Eisboch

Are you aware of CRTL and minus key, CRTL and plus key. They easily
change the text size up or down.

Yes, and that's what I do. It sounds stupid and lazy, but I wish there
was
a way to keep it from defaulting back to the "normal" size every time you
open Firefox. No big deal, but it's the only complaint I have with the
program.

Eisboch

In the address window of the browser type:

about:config

and hit your enter key. You'l be presented with a few zillion
preference settings for the browser including default font size.

I don't know which one it is off the top of my head, but most of them
can be figured out. Any settings you change will become BOLD, so they
are easy to find again if you decide you chose the wrong setting and
want to change it.

WOW! Thanks.

I need to go back and study it for a while but I suspect the solution to my
complaint is there.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

wrote:

"D.Duck" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message

[...]

If that doesn't work out, you can always just buy a bigger monitor! LOL

OR you can go into the OS appearance/settings and make a subtle change
or two that will resolve the problem on a permanent basis.
BAR BAR is offline

JimH wrote:
"John H." wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:06:00 -0500, " JimH" ask wrote:

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
If I could I would cancel Norton.

The problem is I don't know what to replace it with.
AVG Free. Automatic updates.
http://free.grisoft.com/

avast! is also good.
JimH,
Can you see how much memory AVG uses. McAfee uses about 25,000K
Less than a quarter of that.

Avast and AVG received the lowest ratings of the 12 anti-virus programs
tested by Consumer Reports. AVG was on the bottom.
--
John H

Sept '07.......you are indeed correct. Trend Micro ($40) rated #1, avast!
(free) rated 11 and AVG (free) rated 12. The only negative comment was
regarding features on AVG.

But I have to doubt the ratings when Symantec (Norton) is rated #6. What a
joke.

Why is it a joke?

In the end, use what you are comfortable with John but I would certainly not
rely on the Consumer Reports ratings when making the decision.

What about when buying a refrigerator?

"D.Duck" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message

[...]

If Vista is the same as earlier MS OSs, 98, etc, that will not affect the
text size in browser windows.

The solution form Salty is what he was looking for.

HK HK is offline

"D.Duck" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, it does. Also you can change the size of displayed type generally
in the appearance submenus by change a percentage number. I've done it
for years.

"HK" wrote in message
. ..

"D.Duck" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

Do I understand you to say that if, for example, you have a Word doc open
with text entered in the doc and you change the desktop Properties
Appearance Font size from Normal to Extra Large, the text in the doc will
increase in size? Not the doc font size but the physical size as it appears
on your monitor.

If yours does that, you must have a special version of XP that I've never
seen before.

"Jeffrey Boyd" is an anagram of "Midget Runt" in Japanese Steve Leyland ASA 5 October 21st 07 03:54 PM
Vista SP1 "on the way" D-unit General 1 April 16th 07 09:23 PM
Battery with "Double the Power" or that takes up "Half the Space" Bart ASA 2 December 6th 06 12:26 AM
Marinco 15 Amp "Marine Grade" 120VAC Receptical v. Leviton "terrestrial grade" Bob Boat Building 6 April 3rd 06 04:24 PM