Default Vista "turns" off kill switch

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 03:36:08 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

I've been reading the various comments regarding Vista versus XP (while
mentally filtering some of the personal BS expressed by some) and have
reached the conclusion that I'll stick with XP for as long as I can.

I've stayed out of this, but I will say this.

My brother runs a huge IT operation and knows his stuff when it comes
to this.

His very words: "Don't buy Vista - it's going to be a diaster - stick
with XP because Vista will last only as long as it takes to build
another XP - it's going to become the ME of the MS ops line."

My wife used to have issues with her two computers until we
finally disabled Norton in them (at the advice of a computer guru). No
problems since. I had one spyware infection on my home laptop a while back
and SpyDoctor cured it.

If I could I would cancel Norton.

The problem is I don't know what to replace it with.

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 03:46:17 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

One other "observation". I stopped using Internet Explorer and use only
Firefox for the web.

I tried Firefox and didn't like it.

I might, now that I've been using the latest iteration of Explorer,
try it again.

I still use Outlook Express for mail and newsgroups because frankly, I've
never experienced a problem with it, nor do I find it difficult or lacking
in features to use. I tried Thunderbird and Agent and just didn't care for
their formats.

Thunderbird has some interesting "quirks" but you expect that for open
source programs.

Agent I've been with since like forever and am used to it, although I
will admit, it's not the most intuitive program ever designed.

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 03:46:17 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message
news

"Mike" wrote in message

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. I was a Vista beta tester, and
when it was over, I was back to XP. They invited me for the SP1 beta, and
I said no thanks.

One other "observation". I stopped using Internet Explorer and use only
Firefox for the web.
I still use Outlook Express for mail and newsgroups because frankly, I've
never experienced a problem with it, nor do I find it difficult or lacking
in features to use. I tried Thunderbird and Agent and just didn't care for
their formats.

Eisboch

I've been happy with Firefox, except in those very rare cases when I need
something from MS. MS Outloook works well, haven't tried the Express
version. I'd never use Agent as an email program, but it does a great job
at one thing - newsgroups.
--
John H

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 12:44:50 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

[...]

Norton is on the bottom of the CR ratings. FWIW, here's what Consumer
Reports has to say:

CR Quick Recommendations Software suites

A security suite makes sense if you want the simplicity of a single
program. Suites also offer features that most stand-alone products don't
include (and that we list in the Ratings chart, but did not test). And
where stand-alone programs usually run on only one machine, some suites can
be used on as many as three computers, making them a potential money saver.

However, we recommend suites only for machines with at least 1 gigabyte of
memory; any less risks slow performance. All of the products offer a
unified interface, automatic updating of all components, and a software
firewall, and are compatible with Windows XP and Vista. Ratings reflect
performance against viruses, spyware, and spam. Quick Picks considers
performance and value.

Quick Picks
Best choice overall:
Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 $50

The Trend Micro suite excelled in every category and, even with its $50
annual fee, offers fairly inexpensive all-around protection for as many as
three computers. The few extras it lacks, including an ad/popup blocker,
file backup, and Windows cleanup utilities, might be found on other
software you use, such as your operating system and browser.

A fine value:
Check Point ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 7.0 $50

Check Point's antivirus and antispyware components didn't score quite as
high as Trend Micro's, though its antispam protection was first-rate. Its
annual fee is $15 less than Trend Micro's. It includes an ad/popup blocker,
though it lacks the Wi-Fi monitor that Trend Micro offers. It can be used
on as many as three computers.

For full features at a premium price:
McAfee Total Protection 2007 $80
McAfee Internet Security Suite 2007 $70

These best combine high performance and ample features, including a file
backup utility, and offer an integrated security solution, albeit at a
relatively high price. The lower-priced suite also carries a lower annual
fee. It's the better buy unless you really need a Wi-Fi monitor, a
less-than-essential feature unless you suspect your neighbors of hacking
into your network. Note that McAfee charges $10 extra per year to service
each computer beyond one.

--
John H

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 12:44:50 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

His very words: "Don't buy Vista - it's going to be a diaster - stick
with XP because Vista will last only as long as it takes to build
another XP - it's going to become the ME of the MS ops line."

I very rarely use Windows, but I can't remember this much negative
feedback concerning a Windows release. Considering the time and money MS
put into this release, you have to wonder. I've read in several places
that Microsoft only makes money on their operating systems, and MS
Office. This has to hurt.

If I could I would cancel Norton.

The problem is I don't know what to replace it with.

Open source and free. I've only heard good things about it.

http://www.clamwin.com/

John H. wrote:

For full features at a premium price:
McAfee Total Protection 2007 $80
McAfee Internet Security Suite 2007 $70

These best combine high performance and ample features, including a file
backup utility, and offer an integrated security solution, albeit at a
relatively high price. The lower-priced suite also carries a lower annual
fee. It's the better buy unless you really need a Wi-Fi monitor, a
less-than-essential feature unless you suspect your neighbors of hacking
into your network. Note that McAfee charges $10 extra per year to service
each computer beyond one.

I use McAfee because Comcast gives it away. Unfortunately, it is a
memory hog also, though not as bad as Norton.

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 08:11:55 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

John H. wrote:

For full features at a premium price:
McAfee Total Protection 2007 $80
McAfee Internet Security Suite 2007 $70

These best combine high performance and ample features, including a file
backup utility, and offer an integrated security solution, albeit at a
relatively high price. The lower-priced suite also carries a lower annual
fee. It's the better buy unless you really need a Wi-Fi monitor, a
less-than-essential feature unless you suspect your neighbors of hacking
into your network. Note that McAfee charges $10 extra per year to service
each computer beyond one.

I use McAfee because Comcast gives it away. Unfortunately, it is a
memory hog also, though not as bad as Norton.

I've been using McAfee also. Mainly, I'm too old and lazy to do the work
necessary to install/uninstall. When I get a few years younger, I may
consider switching.
--
John H

JimH wrote:
If I could I would cancel Norton.

The problem is I don't know what to replace it with.

AVG Free. Automatic updates. http://free.grisoft.com/

avast! is also good. http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

JimH,
Can you see how much memory AVG uses. McAfee uses about 25,000K

JimH wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
If I could I would cancel Norton.

The problem is I don't know what to replace it with.
AVG Free. Automatic updates. http://free.grisoft.com/

avast! is also good. http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

JimH,
Can you see how much memory AVG uses. McAfee uses about 25,000K

Less than a quarter of that.

That would have been my guess. McAfee is a memory hog.

[...]

I recommend the free version of AVG. I've been using it for a couple of
years with no problems what so ever. My PC is on 24/7, never a virus.

http://www.download.com/3000-2239_4-10761481.html

"Jeffrey Boyd" is an anagram of "Midget Runt" in Japanese Steve Leyland ASA 5 October 21st 07 03:54 PM
Vista SP1 "on the way" D-unit General 1 April 16th 07 09:23 PM
Battery with "Double the Power" or that takes up "Half the Space" Bart ASA 2 December 6th 06 12:26 AM
Marinco 15 Amp "Marine Grade" 120VAC Receptical v. Leviton "terrestrial grade" Bob Boat Building 6 April 3rd 06 04:24 PM