HK HK is offline

Default Vista "turns" off kill switch

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
HK wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
HK wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:

I love the comments at the end of the article:

1 What the article misses is the real reason that piracy is down
50% from Windows XP levels, which is that NOBODY WANTS
VISTA.. How ironic that by writing code that nobody
wants, they have less people stealing it. Perhaps they
should concentrate on development in other areas....

I'm pretty sure the "Yugo" automobile had a pretty low theft rate
as well...

2 I moved to Linux when 30 gig was not enough to run Windows XP.
What took 26 gig within Windows now takes less than 4. I
am 100% MS free and loving every minute of it.

What I love is your comments on any computer OS, when it is
obviously apparent you know nothing about any of them.

OK.

PS - I knew enough to stay with Windows XP.

More probably, you don't know enough to change from one OS to another.

LOL, no it is very easy to do, but if I was going to update a computer,
I would do a clean install, which can be a pain, just saving all the
files i want to keep.

Sometimes it is easy to do, and sometimes it isn't. Hopefully, when and
if you do an upgrade to whatever, it all blows up in your face. Have a
nice day.

HK wrote:

Sometimes it is easy to do, and sometimes it isn't. Hopefully, when and
if you do an upgrade to whatever, it all blows up in your face. Have a
nice day.

thank you for your warm words of support

HK HK is offline

HK wrote:

Sometimes it is easy to do, and sometimes it isn't. Hopefully, when
and if you do an upgrade to whatever, it all blows up in your face.
Have a nice day.

thank you for your warm words of support

You are entirely welcome.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. I was a Vista beta tester, and
when it was over, I was back to XP. They invited me for the SP1 beta, and I
said no thanks.

We recently replaced an aging machine at my office, and of course it came
with vista. After about a month of it falling off the network, which by the
way froze the computer if it was accessing a network share, as well as other
less critical, but annoying problems, I douched it and put on XP Pro. Not a
problem since.

Maybe SP1 will help, but I've already heard very good things about SP3 for
XP... hmmm.

--Mike

. ..

"Mike" wrote in message
I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. I was a Vista beta tester, and
when it was over, I was back to XP. They invited me for the SP1 beta, and I
said no thanks.

We recently replaced an aging machine at my office, and of course it came
with vista. After about a month of it falling off the network, which by
the way froze the computer if it was accessing a network share, as well as
other less critical, but annoying problems, I douched it and put on XP
Pro. Not a problem since.

Maybe SP1 will help, but I've already heard very good things about SP3 for
XP... hmmm.

Instead of downgrading to XP, you could have upgraded to a penguin, Unbuntu
or Fedora. No kill switch, no DRM, no back doors and no Bill watching you.

"Mike" wrote in message

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. I was a Vista beta tester, and
when it was over, I was back to XP. They invited me for the SP1 beta, and I
said no thanks.

I've been reading the various comments regarding Vista versus XP (while
mentally filtering some of the personal BS expressed by some) and have
reached the conclusion that I'll stick with XP for as long as I can. Our
household has a total of 4 computers, including three laptops (one used on
the boat) and a regular tower type. All have either XP Pro or Home
editions. My wife used to have issues with her two computers until we
finally disabled Norton in them (at the advice of a computer guru). No
problems since. I had one spyware infection on my home laptop a while back
and SpyDoctor cured it.

Thinking back, it seems like MS either hits a homerun or strikes out with
their new operating systems. Since I am not a heavy computer user, Windows
3.1 did me fine until it simply would not operate on the Internet anymore
..... sometime in the mid 90's. To me, it was pretty much trouble-free.
Then there was Win 95 that I used until the current computers were purchased
with XP installed. Meanwhile, it seems like there were a bunch of
strike-outs by Microsoft.... Win 98 Win 2000, Millennium, and another that
I can't remember. You don't hear many good things about them. My hunch is
that XP will fall in the ranks of 3.1 and Win 95. Based on what I've read,
Vista seems to already have two strikes on it. Since I am a user of a
computer, not a troubleshooter or software detangler, I'd rather keep what
has proved to work reliably until it is simply obsolete.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message
news

"Mike" wrote in message

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. I was a Vista beta tester, and
when it was over, I was back to XP. They invited me for the SP1 beta, and
I said no thanks.

One other "observation". I stopped using Internet Explorer and use only
Firefox for the web.
I still use Outlook Express for mail and newsgroups because frankly, I've
never experienced a problem with it, nor do I find it difficult or lacking
in features to use. I tried Thunderbird and Agent and just didn't care for
their formats.

Eisboch

"Jeffrey Boyd" is an anagram of "Midget Runt" in Japanese Steve Leyland ASA 5 October 21st 07 03:54 PM
Vista SP1 "on the way" D-unit General 1 April 16th 07 09:23 PM
Battery with "Double the Power" or that takes up "Half the Space" Bart ASA 2 December 6th 06 12:26 AM
Marinco 15 Amp "Marine Grade" 120VAC Receptical v. Leviton "terrestrial grade" Bob Boat Building 6 April 3rd 06 04:24 PM