Default Vista "turns" off kill switch

wrote in message

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 07:20:00 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

I have tried viewing the yahoo homepage on several machines here using
Firefox, and none of them exhibit that behavior. I think your wide
aspect display is at the root of the problem. Tha's why I suggested
looking for an updated display driver.

Good thought but I use two other laptops that are *not* wide screen and the
results are the same. Hold on ... I am going to try something.

Ok. I opened both Firefox and Internet Explorer and went to a number of
websites using both. Internet Explorer displays *all* the sites in a full
screen view. Firefox displayed some full screen and some in the narrower,
compact style that it initially displays the Yahoo homepage.

So, it must be a subtle difference in how they each interpret certain
aspects of the html code.

Eisboch

wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:20:35 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Is Netflix.com one of those that displays wrong like Yahoo? Many of
the more "interactive" type websites, such as the above two examples)
use "AJAX", which could be the source of the problem. If you google
"AJAX" you can probably find some info on it. It's sort of javascript
on steroids.

When was the last time you checked for updates to your firefox
installations?

I just tried Netflix.com (had never been there before). It opened fine
(filled screen) using Firefox. IE displayed it exactly the same way.

As for Firefox ... I have it set to automatically update. The last was a
few days ago to version 2.0.0.11.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions but I think we've beaten this
issue into the ground.
Someday the reason will become apparent. In the meanwhile D.Duck's theory
seems to make a lot of sense.

I'll just keep using Ctrl+

Eisboch

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 09:13:40 -0500, John H. penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|I can't understand why the major media, who often quote CR reports, haven't
|made a huge story over their being a front for a crooked organization. In
|fact, this is the first I've heard of it. Perhaps you could enlighten us a
|little.

Characteristic of a sexual intellectual, he posts "facts" that
everybody should accept as "de facto facts" and demands that you go do
his homework for him to prove his infallibility.

Now, apparently, he is also a conspiracy nut and has bought into the
"The Secret Consumerist Conspiracy!" For him, the "State Affairs
Company" is the good guys..... and the Consumers Union and Consumers
Reports are the bad guys.

Unlike salty..... I don't mind posting cites.....
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...nterest_groups
http://www.answers.com/topic/covingt...ng?cat=biz-fin
http://www.prwatch.org/prwissues/1996Q3/wolves.html

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats
-----------------
-----------------

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 15:50:13 GMT, penned the following
well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|Have you figured out that whole "clarinet issue" for yourself yet?
|
|How about the Piano tuning?

I posted the correct answer to both.

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 14:41:17 GMT, wrote:

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 09:13:40 -0500, John H.
wrote:

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 06:45:23 -0500,
wrote:

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:26:59 -0500, BAR wrote:

JimH wrote:
"John H." wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:06:00 -0500, " JimH" ask
wrote:

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..
JimH wrote:
If I could I would cancel Norton.

The problem is I don't know what to replace it with.
AVG Free. Automatic updates.
http://free.grisoft.com/

avast! is also good.
JimH,
Can you see how much memory AVG uses. McAfee uses about 25,000K
Less than a quarter of that.

Avast and AVG received the lowest ratings of the 12 anti-virus programs
tested by Consumer Reports. AVG was on the bottom.
--
John H

Sept '07.......you are indeed correct. Trend Micro ($40) rated #1, avast!
(free) rated 11 and AVG (free) rated 12. The only negative comment was
regarding features on AVG.

But I have to doubt the ratings when Symantec (Norton) is rated #6. What a
joke.

Why is it a joke?

In the end, use what you are comfortable with John but I would certainly not
rely on the Consumer Reports ratings when making the decision.

What about when buying a refrigerator?

Consumer Reports Magazine is a front for a crooked organization. Do some
research.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't trust them to wind my watch. They once did a review of car
stereos, and the top rated stereo was the factory installed unit in an AMC
Hornet!

Another time, they rated two identical VCR's with different brand names on them:
One was the top rated, and one was rated worst. When I say identical, I mean
they came off the same assembly line and the only differences were some slight
styling changes to the front bezel, and the brand name. Otherwise the exact same
unit.

I can't understand why the major media, who often quote CR reports, haven't
made a huge story over their being a front for a crooked organization. In
fact, this is the first I've heard of it. Perhaps you could enlighten us a
little.

Do your own research if you are curious. Consumers Union is a front
for a lobbying organization. They have their own agenda that doesn't
necessarily have your own well being as a focus.

CR often rates items produced in the same factory and given multiple names.
That's one of the pieces of information that's nice to know, and CR often
provides the data, especially with appliances.

That's not what I said.

My wife's Toyota has a very high-end sound system installed. Does the fact
it's in a Toyota make it bad?

No, but the sound system in the AMC was a very low end Clarion with
single cone 5.25 inch cheapo speakers. Somehow they thought it was
better than all the Kenwoods, Alpines, and other, higher end type
equipment. Somehow I get the feekling that they could find that a
McDonalds Happy Meal was the finest restaurant meal in the world using
the same evaluation techniques.

CR is informative, and provides a way to compare items. It's not perfect,
and should not be used as a sole source. But, it provides a good starting
point.

No, it does not, unless you are easily led.

I'm not curious. You made a statement which you can't back up and I
consider false.

Furthermore, I think your AMC story is also just that, a story.

Opinions are like...oh, never mind.
--
John H

On Dec 7, 9:22 am, John H. wrote:
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 09:03:30 -0500, " JimH" ask wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 14:50:16 -0500, " JimH" ask wrote:

Get help Jojn. You are one sick dude.

Why the attack, Jim?
--
John H

Because I am tired of your constant attacks on me. Got it?

PS: I expect a "Who, me?" reply from you shortly.

Did you consider my post re; consumer reports an attack on you?
--
John H- Hide quoted text -

Jim doesn't seem to mind attacking other people, though.
Hell, he'll even insult, accuse, belittle other people's children and
spouses.

wrote:

Consumer Reports Magazine is a front for a crooked organization. Do some
research.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't trust them to wind my watch. They once did a review of car
stereos, and the top rated stereo was the factory installed unit in an AMC
Hornet!

Another time, they rated two identical VCR's with different brand names on them:
One was the top rated, and one was rated worst. When I say identical, I mean
they came off the same assembly line and the only differences were some slight
styling changes to the front bezel, and the brand name. Otherwise the exact same
unit.

I just addressed this in another NG. I think the CU ratings are more a
measuremernt of the respondents than the product with a huge margin of
error

I've felt the same for years. The surveys are self-selecting, and the
readership reflects a certain demographic, which used to be East Coast
professional class. For years the Volvo was rated as one of the most
reliable cars. CR has pushed for globalization for years, and I think
had editorials on good NAFTA would be for the consumer.
I generally don't agree with their "politics," and have found their
"science" lacking often enough.
Having said that, they have done some decent work in product
evaluation, IMO mostly smaller stuff, from toasters to washing
machines. Their main value has always been the surveys on
reliability, but for major purchases like cars I've never bought
their results except at the margins, since they always keep nearly all
raw data well-hidden.
I do believe that an item to which they award a red circle is "better"
and a black circle "worse," but beyond that all bets are off.
I think they provide value to those who otherwise would make
purchases with a shotgun approach, and if you like the mag, get it.
I was a subscriber until this year, finally deciding I didn't want it
after about 30 years of subscribing.
One thing that's happening for appliance selection is web sites
showing owner reviews, which are often more detailed than anything
CR ever did. I just bought a new washing machine and found the web
site reviews instrumental in my selection.
Newegg is excellent in this respect, and you can get really good info
on computer parts quality from the reviews. And you can detect the BS
from some owners - whose purchase is always the "right" one, something
never directly reflected in CR's colored circles. We all know how
reliable circa 1980's Volvos were, right? No, I don't want to argue
about it.

--Vic

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 14:16:10 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 13:44:39 -0500, John H.
wrote:

JimH wrote:
[...]

Just recently, (October 2007) Consumer Reports issued a press release
saying that they were changing their policies and would no longer
recommend new or redesigned Toyota cars or trucks until they had
actually tested them, rather than recommending them simply because
they had such a good previous record.

So much for reliable and objective reporting!

I wonder who at C.U. didn't get their "gift package"

site?
--
John H

wrote:

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 13:44:39 -0500, John H.
wrote:

JimH wrote:
[...]

Are you really a moron, or is this just a game you play?

*You're* the one making the statements!
--
John H

"Jeffrey Boyd" is an anagram of "Midget Runt" in Japanese Steve Leyland ASA 5 October 21st 07 03:54 PM
Vista SP1 "on the way" D-unit General 1 April 16th 07 09:23 PM
Battery with "Double the Power" or that takes up "Half the Space" Bart ASA 2 December 6th 06 12:26 AM
Marinco 15 Amp "Marine Grade" 120VAC Receptical v. Leviton "terrestrial grade" Bob Boat Building 6 April 3rd 06 04:24 PM