Gould 0738

Default Overheating Perkins revisited.....

Not long ago we had a guy post that his Perkins was running progressively
hotter.

Consistent with my program of swapping out the oldest peripheral part each
year, today I yanked off the 22 year old heat exchanger and replaced it with a
new one.

I found out there are two heat exchangers for the 6354, one that extends 14"
from the expansion tank and one that extends 9.5". The turbo models are
supposed to use the 14", but mine was originally plumbed for the 9.5" and has
been running well within specs at all times. I stuck another 9.5" on, rather
than start reinventing the plumbing. The 14" would also have extended across
the front of the turbo-intake screen, although about 7-8" away, and I wasn't
entirely convinced that might not have an effect on air flow.

I had been running about 10-15 degrees hotter this summer at speeds above 1800
RPM. Not only was my heat exchanger ready to be replaced, (the local Perkins
guru says the life expectancy should be 10-15 years), but a couple of chunks of
pencil zinc had fallen off the zinc nuts in the past, and were laying across
the raw water inlet. Probably explains why I was running hot at high RPM,
inadequate raw water cooling flow.

Anyway, the job was very easy. I'm the world's worst mechanic, and it took me
under two hours start to finish using a $49 socket set. We're heading north in
about a month, and that will takes one more thing off the "to do" list before
we go.
If I still own the same boat in another 15 years, I won't hesitate to swap the
heat exchanger again. :-)
Jeff Rigby

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Not long ago we had a guy post that his Perkins was running progressively
hotter.

My brother has two perkins diesel fresh water cooled engines. His also

overheat at RPM's above 1800. We have traced the problem to obstructions in
the raw water cooling. Specifically the transmission cooling. I'm trying
to get him to reroute the fresh water through the transmission with possibly
a partial bypass. This will keep the iron in the transmission from
corroding shut and increase raw water cooling.

Larry W4CSC

Have you guys ever wondered why there isn't a fresh water flush built
into these systems?

This stuff doesn't corrode in the short time it's running. It
corrodes like this sitting there with salt in it...duhhh..

It would be SO simple to connect a flushing valve from the boat's
fresh water system to the salt cooling system and flush the salt out
of it right after the engines were shut down, then close the seacocks
to keep the salt out of them, wouldn't it?

Hell, for what these boats cost, it could be solenoid operated valves
with a pushbutton by the key saying "FLUSH" like the commodes!

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:18:02 -0400, "Jeff Rigby"
wrote:

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Not long ago we had a guy post that his Perkins was running progressively
hotter.

My brother has two perkins diesel fresh water cooled engines. His also

overheat at RPM's above 1800. We have traced the problem to obstructions in
the raw water cooling. Specifically the transmission cooling. I'm trying
to get him to reroute the fresh water through the transmission with possibly
a partial bypass. This will keep the iron in the transmission from
corroding shut and increase raw water cooling.

Larry W4CSC

Maybe we could get the power grid fixed if every politician
regulating the power companies wasn't on their payrolls.
Gould 0738

Have you guys ever wondered why there isn't a fresh water flush built
into these systems?

This stuff doesn't corrode in the short time it's running. It
corrodes like this sitting there with salt in it...duhhh..

The problem isn't corrosion, per se. The heat exchanger is a bundle of bronze
tubes, and the expansion tank is aluminum (the better to radiate heat). Stuff
just gets plugged up and weak after a couple of decades. Recommended service
life is 10-15 years on the heat exchanger, and mine had served well over 20.
Just think, if I had a gas engine, even running exculsively in fresh water, I
would have been replacing the entire engine......for the second time. :-)
Gould 0738

Corrosion only requires:

Anode
Cathode
Electrolyte
Path

Anode = Aluminum
Cathode = Bronze
Electrolyte = saline
Path = metal-to-metal

The idiot that designed this system could not possibly have created a
better battery -- spell that corrosion -- if he/she tried.

This is a recipe for sure and scientifically verifiable premature
failure.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/ Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where Southport,NC
is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures at
My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats at
Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Zinc anodes have prevented any serious corrosion on this unit since 1982.

Steven Shelikoff

On 20 Aug 2003 10:59:08 -0700, (basskisser) wrote:

(Steven Shelikoff) wrote in message
Zinc anodes have prevented any serious corrosion on this unit since 1982.

Unfortunately, this is one area many people neglect. I've been guilty
of it myself. One year I didn't bother to change the pencil zinc on my
heat exchanger and when I checked it the next year, it was completely
wasted. It's such a cheap and easy thing to do, I won't be neglecting
it again. Fortunately, my heat exchanger is still working perfectly and
engine temps are in the normal range under all conditions.

Takes a real simpleton to neglect to change something as common of a
maintenence item as zincs on a boat. How did you come to decide NOT to
change them out? It is a real simple thing.

What, you can't read plain english? I told you above, I just didn't
bother to change the pencil zinc on the heat exchanger. Now, if you're
truly interested in an answer and aren't simply trying to be just the
stupid moron you usually are, I'll answer why I didn't change it.

In the previous years when I changed it, there was still a lot left. In
fact, sometimes it was hardly gone at all. But my usage of the boat and
the water it sees differs from year to year. Some years it's mostly in
fresh water. Others it sees some brine and some salt water. Other
years, it's almost entirely in salt water. Sometimes, I go back and
forth from week to week or even more frequently. So the waste rate of
the zinc varies tremendously. If the boat stays in fresh water, it's
probably ok to let the heat exchanger zinc go 2 years. But towards the
end of the 2nd year, it saw a lot of salt water use so I probably lost
most of it during that time. The exchanger is still in perfect
condition with no visible corrosion inside or out. It is only 6 years
old though.

I should probably be using magnesium in fresh water. But since I change
waters so frequently, the magnesium would waste away very fast if I head
to salt water. So I stick with zinc. Also, pencil zincs are much
easier to find. In fact, I haven't seen a pencil mag stocked in the
chandleries I frequent. But the zincs have been doing ok so far, so
I'll stick with them.

Now, let's see if you can be a normal person for a change or if you come
back with another stupid smart ass response.

Steve
basskisser

(Steven Shelikoff) wrote in message ...
On 20 Aug 2003 10:59:08 -0700,
(basskisser) wrote:

[...]

You LIAR!! See here, you yourself said that you are guilty of NEGLECT.
So, yes, I can read plain English, where you said that you neglected
your zincs.

(Steven Shelikoff) wrote in message
Zinc anodes have prevented any serious corrosion on this unit since 1982.

Unfortunately, this is one area many people neglect. I've been guilty
of it myself.

Steven Shelikoff

On 22 Aug 2003 04:10:23 -0700, (basskisser) wrote:

(Steven Shelikoff) wrote in message
Yup, I just knew you couldn't behave like a normal person. Your
despondency and frustrations are obviously gnawing at you. You really
should take a vacation before you pop a gasket. And you should stop
posting while you're drunk from all that homebrew.

Steve

Please provide any evidence that I was "drunk on homebrew". I love it.
I mention that I homebrew, and because you know I'm right, you simply
use that as a crutch, and probably will a lot! What do you disagree
with in my replys on this subject?

Your simplistic belligerant attitude which was obvious from your post:
Takes a real simpleton to neglect to change something as
common of a maintenence item as zincs on a boat.

Then when I explained why I didn't change heat exhanger pencil zinc and
that the real reason was more than just neglect, you snipped out the
explanation and responded with:
You LIAR!! See here, you yourself said that you are guilty of NEGLECT.
So, yes, I can read plain English, where you said that you neglected

Your simplistic belligerance and foolish bluster is the evidence that
you're an alcohol abuser, and is a common indicator. Since there is
evidence you were drunk and since you said you're a homebrewer, put 2
and 2 together and it's likely that you were drunk on your own homebrew.
But I'll conceed that there is also the possibility you went to the
store to buy your hooch.

Stev e

TWIN diesels overheating Pete Zimmer General 4 August 1st 03 03:42 AM
Mercruiser V8 overheating.. noah General 0 July 19th 03 12:32 AM
Boat overheating? Bobo General 5 July 17th 03 02:06 AM
Overheating, Hydrostatic lock, ring gears and starters rayjking General 0 July 12th 03 05:49 PM
Generator Overheating Question Steve General 0 July 11th 03 03:03 AM