Steve

Default Generator Overheating Question

If you have a heat exchanger, that often plugs up in one or both ends,
and in the tubes. The best solution is to remove it and boil it in
water until clean. Also use welding rods to clean it out. You can
also use muriatic acid, but do not let it soak in acid for more than
20 minutes or so.

You can remove salt water hoses at various points, and check for good
flow. That should help narrow down the probem. As the other poster
stated, the exhaust elbow is a common clogging spot.

Steve

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 02:46:30 -0500, "Rick & Linda Bernard"
wrote:

Try looking in the hydro-lift muffler and exhaust elbow for carbon
build-up/pluggage. There should be a strainer in the line from the seacock
to the pump that can get debris stuck in the inlet port where you convert
from hose to pipe. (I had a fish plug mine one time - a perfect fit!)
Also the suction hose from the seacock to the pump may be collapsing
internally. They can delaminate on the inside with the outside looking OK.
Try a new hose. I would think that you should have at least 5 GPM of water
flow.

"Wolff" wrote in message
I have a 7.5 kW Kohler generator ---- early 80s DOM.

It's overheating. 190F+ in five minutes.... I've checked clear the
strainer, installed a new impeller and checked for blockages in the heater
hoses. Still overheating.

I've found no thermostat.

By putting the pump suction line in a bucket, I'd guesstimate the water

flow
rate at less than 1 gpm.

Any thoughts on a where to look next?

anchor question? Gould 0738 General 208 June 24th 10 01:53 AM
Quick Prop Question M.E. General 10 August 2nd 03 03:53 AM
malibu response question J.W. Frank General 26 July 11th 03 02:26 AM