J.W. Frank

Default malibu response question

Just a quick question: if you recently handed over close to 30k for a
new Malibu Response LX and it keeps taking on excessive water, what
would you do?

I returned it to the dealer. Multiple times.
I spoke with the factory... twice.

They seem to think it is a minor problem (the hydrobox is leaking and
needs fiberglass repair). I think it is a major problem... a
"manufacturing defect", if you will.

I asked for another "new boat" that didn't leak. They said no way. I
offered to trade it in and pay the difference if they would help me work
through the dealer. They again said no, "it's a little problem".

Mastercraft and Correct Craft never treated me this way. "Guy" (the
customer service manager) at Malibu told me to go ahead and write
this... that people would understand Malibu's position. I hope he is
right......

For Sale, one Malibu Response LX with 10 hrs. Leaks like a sieve but
Malibu says don't worry! I'll even take a loss on this one (hell, I've
owned it since last August and haven't been able to ski behind it since
then! That alone is a loss.) Make me an offer, I'm not kidding. I
want a quality boat again.

Comments welcome.

Joe --
(pictures available upon request, it sure looks pretty)

J.W. Frank

I agree. Why haven't they fixed it? The dealer even wanted me to take it home
and use it for the holiday weekend even though the water comes in at a faster
rate than the bilge pump can handle!!! Incompetence? 100%

Another question? Why would it be a loss for them if I agreed to "trade it in"
and take the loss myself? I thought that was more than nice of me but they
don't even want the damn thing back! Why? Probably still couldn't sell it. Do
they know something I don't? Was this a bigger problem than I thought? Anyone
else with similar problems?

Tony Thomas wrote:

The real question is why have they not fixed it. Should be a simple fix for
a local fiberglass shop that the factory will pay thru the dealer. What is
the factory saying about the repair and when.

It is true that most manufacturers will not replace the boat. The warrenty
is for repair or replace at their descretion. Too much of a loss to replace
since they would then have to sell this boat as a used one.

Tony

"J.W. Frank" wrote in message
[...]

Doug Meredith

"J.W. Frank" wrote in message
Just a quick question: if you recently handed over close to 30k for a
new Malibu Response LX and it keeps taking on excessive water, what
would you do?
They seem to think it is a minor problem (the hydrobox is leaking and
needs fiberglass repair). I think it is a major problem... a
"manufacturing defect", if you will.
Mastercraft and Correct Craft never treated me this way. "Guy" (the
customer service manager) at Malibu told me to go ahead and write
this... that people would understand Malibu's position. I hope he is
right......

This was a common problem with Malibu's. The hydo damping box leaked.
If your boat is new, I'm surprised that you are having this problem.
Its an easy fix if the dealer has a clue. They have to find what part
of the box is leakings, grind out the old Plexus, and replace with new.
I've never seen one that leaked so bad that the bilgh pump even came
on. Guy Coward is a good guy, and should take care of your problem for
you. This is a dealer issue to get fixed. I'd be screaming at the
dealer, or talking to Malibu to have the dealer get it fixed NOW. What
dealer did you buy it from?

J.W. Frank

Default Follow up

Well, thanks to the web it would appear I have a much better understanding
of the problem now. Various people have responded with information
regarding this on-going problem from Malibu.

First, I need to sincerely appologize to the local dealer. I feel bad that
he is caught in the middle. If I were him, I would investigate a new
product line (I'm sure he will if he hasn't already).

Next, I need the boat fixed. Possibly so that I may sell it and go back to
another, more reputable, company that takes concerns with customer
satisfaction seriously.

Third, I need to be sure that I share my story with as many skiers as
possible. Maybe I am just one person who is insignificant in the eyes of
Malibu but I still represent a group (competitive skiers) who made Malibu
possible. Perhaps the should reflect more on where they came from.

-Rant ON-

Additionally, maybe they should spend more time fixing problems before they
reach the consumer rather than putting a band-aid on them after the fact.
It doesn't seem like a strong corporate philosophy to me. Maybe the
surf-boys in Calif. just got a little too much sun to make a good decision.
But hey, if it makes them money, who cares, right?

- Rant OFF -

Thanks to everyone out there with something to add. You have helped. I am
done wasting bandwidth now. On to more productive things!

--

"J.W. Frank" wrote:

[...]

Mark Kovalcson

Since they introduced the Hydrophonic Damping System back in 1996 it has
been an issue. Tom may point out it is statistically unimportant (like that
helps you), but he
and most other people I know including Malibu owners think the whole concept
is flawed. MC has some gel like substance laminated into the hull to reduce
noise and CC laminates in ISO Damp to reduce noise. Malibu decided to use
water and make their quieter mufflers an optional upgrade. There are very
different design imperatives at work here.

Many of us understand Malibu's position. Agreeing with it is another story.
You are probably very right that CC would have treated you differently as MC
probably would have as well. I know a number of people who have had boats
replaced for a LOT less than this. I know two that not only got a
replacement, but an upgrade over a cosmetic issue.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

"J.W. Frank" wrote:

[...]

BrianS

"J.W. Frank" wrote in message ...
Comments welcome.

Joe --
(pictures available upon request, it sure looks pretty)

Malibus are know for leaking out of the HDS system. It's the box you
are referring to. Some boats will never have a problem while other
boats leak badly (like yours). However, M should step up and fix the
problem. They are not going to replace the entire boat however, nor
would I expect them to. That's like saying my car has a brake problem
so I want the manufacture to give me a new one.

M is aware of the problems and truthfully I don't know why they don't
just loose the HDS box. It is suppose to reduce the shaft vibrations,
but in reality, every other manufacture does just fine without it. It
would certainly cause fewer headaches for owners like you.

Yes is is a repairable condition. Yes it happens with some frequency.
Yes, some minor fiberglass work should fix the problem for good.
Yes, you should be happy with the boat again after the repair.
However, if M repair isn't good enough for you and you insist on
selling the boat and taking a bath - let me know, I'd be more than
happy to sell my MC and pick up a M for a great price. Maybe we can
just swap boats - its a 93 Mastercraft Prostar 190. You can e-mail me
at
(remove nospam).

Seriously, I'm sorry that you have had this problem. No one likes
having issues with their new boat. But I have to say you need take a
step back and allow M to do their job. I agree with Guy - I think
most people are going to understand M position and dismiss you as some
nit picking owner making outrageous demands (demanding a new boat over
a minor issue). Now if M doesn't step up to the plate and get the job
fixed in a reasonable amount of time or to your satisfaction, then you
have reason to rant and rave. Until then, let it ride and see how
things work out.
George Mills

I took a couple Responses out and almost didn't buy a ski boat at all.
All motor, noisy as hell and low quality. One was 2 years old and was
completely falling apart.

Then I looked at a used MC and said yes, now this is solid boat.
I wanted a 20 foot bowrider so I ended up with a Tige.
Not quite as solid as a MC but close and I liked the features (TAPS is a big
plus) and price.

I won't really know if I made the right choice for many years to come but I
knew enough to stay away from malibu (for my needs).
Malibu may have great wake but it didn't pass the wife test at all.

Response "bow rider" (i.e. the hole the cut in the closed bow) is a bad joke
too.

"J.W. Frank" wrote:

[...]

Doug Meredith

"George Mills" wrote in message

Then I looked at a used MC and said yes, now this is solid boat.
I wanted a 20 foot bowrider so I ended up with a Tige.
Not quite as solid as a MC but close and I liked the features (TAPS is

a big
plus) and price.

I'm interested in why the TAPS is a big plus for you?

James McCarthy

I know Joe,

He's not one to rant and rave and is very fair when it comes to issues like
this. If he says he has given everyone a fair chance to address the issue
then I believe him.

Regardless as to what perception Guy has of Joe, if he is a nit picker or
not, Joe has a problem with his boat and it is M's and Guy's responsibility
to correct it. It seems to me that even if it is a local dealer issue, that
M should lean on the local dealer. After all M's service is only as good as
their dealer network. I was thinking of getting my MC's 100 hr service done
there but I am thinking twice now.

Joe, Best of luck...don't give up. That is a VERY sharp boat.

--

James D. McCarthy

"BrianS" wrote in message
om...
"J.W. Frank" wrote in message

[...]

J.W. Frank

No, it's not another issue, it is THE issue. I will have my boat fixed
one way or another (another dealer for M has stepped up to the plate), and I
will probably get rid of it. The issue is that I should never have had this
problem in the first place. You yourself admit that:

"I agree that it should be fixed there from the get go, but thats an
other thread that has been beat here on RSW years ago."

That's the point, and it should continue to be beaten until M changes their
behavior or stops making defective boats. I wish I had seen the info on
this before buying... I would not have chosen "M". I sincerely hope I can
help one other consumer, then my efforts will have been worthwhile. Maybe I
missed the information or maybe is was between flare-ups when I bought.
Either way, let's let everone who will listen know about it. Maybe "M"
would put a little note about it in their brochure since "everyone will
understand".

Doug Meredith wrote:

"James McCarthy" wrote in message
Regardless as to what perception Guy has of Joe, if he is a nit picker

or
not, Joe has a problem with his boat and it is M's and Guy's

responsibility
to correct it. It seems to me that even if it is a local dealer

issue, that
M should lean on the local dealer. After all M's service is only as

good as
their dealer network. I was thinking of getting my MC's 100 hr

service done
there but I am thinking twice now.

Yes, M should lean on the dealer, but it is a dealer issue. Its not a
hard repair, and should have been done in a day or less. I still
haven't heard what the dealer did or didn't do, only bitching about M.
Guy Coward isn't gonna give you a new boat over this, nor is he gonna
send a factory tech to fix it. BUT he should be on the dealer to do it.
FOTM, MC or CC would not give you a new boat if they had a minor repair
as this to fix either. I know for a fact though, that CC will leanon
the dealer to get something fixed. WHy M hasn't got this fixed at the
factory is a totally different issue, which has no bearing on this one.