Bobo

Default Boat overheating?

I recently bought a 1990 Searay 180 Bowrider I/O V-6 (4.3 L) Mercrusier. I
have noticed that the baot always runs cool (140-145) when I am at a decent
speed. When I slow down to 3-5 mph, or when I start up after being shut down
for a few minutes, the temp goes to about 220. Once I get up to speed, it
goes back down to 145 again. Also after I have shut down, on trying to start
the boat I get the alarm and the temp is pegged. My mechanic says not to
worry. Any Ideas?

CCred68046

When I slow down to 3-5 mph, or when I start up after being shut down
for a few minutes, the temp goes to about 220. Once I get up to speed, it
goes back down to 145 again. Also after I have shut down, on trying to start
the boat I get the alarm and the temp is pegged. My mechanic says not to
worry. Any Ideas?

Yea, GET A NEW MECHANIC AND FAST
Tony Thomas

1. Get a new mechanic.
2. Install a new water pump impeller in the outdrive. The old one is not
picking up enough water at low rpms.

Tony

"Bobo" wrote in message
.com...
I recently bought a 1990 Searay 180 Bowrider I/O V-6 (4.3 L) Mercrusier. I
have noticed that the baot always runs cool (140-145) when I am at a

decent
speed. When I slow down to 3-5 mph, or when I start up after being shut

down
for a few minutes, the temp goes to about 220. Once I get up to speed, it
goes back down to 145 again. Also after I have shut down, on trying to

start
the boat I get the alarm and the temp is pegged. My mechanic says not to
worry. Any Ideas?

bomar

Along with everyone else, I agree that:
1. You have an idiot for a mechanic
2. You need an impeller.
AND-
3. You should kick that moron "mechanic's" ass for almost roasting your
engine with his stupidity.

"Bobo" wrote in message
.com...
I recently bought a 1990 Searay 180 Bowrider I/O V-6 (4.3 L) Mercrusier. I
have noticed that the baot always runs cool (140-145) when I am at a

decent
speed. When I slow down to 3-5 mph, or when I start up after being shut

down
for a few minutes, the temp goes to about 220. Once I get up to speed, it
goes back down to 145 again. Also after I have shut down, on trying to

start
the boat I get the alarm and the temp is pegged. My mechanic says not to
worry. Any Ideas?

Bruce

What they said, but install a complete kit.

--
Bruce
99 White WJ 4x4 Select Trac

"bomar" wrote in message
Along with everyone else, I agree that:
1. You have an idiot for a mechanic
2. You need an impeller.
AND-
3. You should kick that moron "mechanic's" ass for almost roasting your
engine with his stupidity.

"Bobo" wrote in message
.com...
I recently bought a 1990 Searay 180 Bowrider I/O V-6 (4.3 L) Mercrusier.

have noticed that the baot always runs cool (140-145) when I am at a

decent
speed. When I slow down to 3-5 mph, or when I start up after being shut

down
for a few minutes, the temp goes to about 220. Once I get up to speed,

it
goes back down to 145 again. Also after I have shut down, on trying to

start
the boat I get the alarm and the temp is pegged. My mechanic says not to
worry. Any Ideas?

Harvey Lindley

I suggest you check your water pump impeller. Replace the whole pump
housing when you replace the impeller. Just a few bucks more and you
don't have to worry about that part for two more impeller changes. The
impellers need changing every 2 years because they hold a shape that
lets water get past after being in the housing for so long. They are
hard rubber., I had the same problem with mine. When I was moving at a
decent speed my temp stayed low but when I slowed down like in a no wake
zone it heated up. I had to put it in neutral and rev it up until it
cooled off. If I started it and let it run for any time without moving
it heated also. I hope this helps.

Bobo wrote:
I recently bought a 1990 Searay 180 Bowrider I/O V-6 (4.3 L) Mercrusier. I
have noticed that the baot always runs cool (140-145) when I am at a decent
speed. When I slow down to 3-5 mph, or when I start up after being shut down
for a few minutes, the temp goes to about 220. Once I get up to speed, it
goes back down to 145 again. Also after I have shut down, on trying to start
the boat I get the alarm and the temp is pegged. My mechanic says not to
worry. Any Ideas?

Boat pulling to left really bad noah General 1 July 13th 03 02:43 PM
Boat illegally docked? Chuck Tribolet General 5 July 11th 03 10:52 PM
Boat looses plane? ReevesJ32 General 4 July 11th 03 12:29 AM
what to look for in a used boat Swede General 4 July 10th 03 02:10 PM
Composite flooring on pontoon boat? Calif Bill General 3 July 1st 03 03:42 AM