Pete Zimmer

Default TWIN diesels overheating

I have twin Perkins turbocharged diesels in my 1981 37' Silverton
cruiser.(T6.3544M). Both engines run at normal temp (180-200 deg F or
80 to 95 deg C) at all speeds but full throttle. When pushed to the
max (2650 RPM) they run up to about 212 deg F or 100 deg C. No steam
from the exhaust and the performance is fine. The system is
freshwater cooled. The raw water impellers have been replaced last
week. All hoses have been replaced and there are no sharp bends.
There is plenty of water coming out of the exhaust at all speed. All
belts have been replaced and tensioned correctly. The 4 thermostats
have been pulled and checked for opening at 185 deg F. The antifreeze
was replaced and dilluted to 50%. There is never any trace of
antifreeze in the bilge. When I drop back to cruise RPM (2000) the
temp drops to the normal range. Even though the engines are over 20
years old there is no corrosion internally and the zincs look fine. I
have a handheld remote thermometer that I can focus on any part of the
engine. I see no hotspots with the exception of the turbos which is
expected. (Air temp can be between 60 to 100 F and water temp between
60 and 85 F) This problem has been getting progressivly worse each
year as this is the first time that it has hit 100C.

The problem (if any) is that at full throttle, the temp gauges are
right at the overheating spot with very little extra to give me any
indication of a problem until it is too late. Any experience with
this problem?

Thanks,

Pete Zimmer
(Jack Daniels Old #7)
Upper Mississippi River Mile 204
Surffb

Mineral/salt build-up in raw water side is likely. Inspect heat exchanger and
boil out as needed.
Fred
Larry

Pete, have you taken the heat exchangers to a radiator shop to have
them boiled out? Hard to see scale up in there blocking the passages.

Larry W4CSC

"No, NO, Mr Spock! I said beam me down a WRENCH,
not a WENCH! KIRK OUT!"

Pete Zimmer

Thanks to both of you for your input but,....I have replaced heat
exchangers on both engines last year. They both are fine. The water
on the raw water side is more than adequate at all rpm. Placing a 5
gallon bucket under the exhaust at 2000 rpm will fill the bucket in
less than 2 seconds....these are 6 inch exhaust ports.

JPZ
(Surffb) wrote in message ...
Mineral/salt build-up in raw water side is likely. Inspect heat exchanger and
boil out as needed.
Fred

MIDEMETZ

An old trick is to run Spick & Span powder in the fresh water side.

The people I use to work for bought old used heavy equipment. When we found
one that exhibited your problems, this usually cured it.

The method was to put one of the little boxes in a 300 CID or smaller engin. A
671 got 2 boxes.

Then they were worked for a day. After that we drained the water after each
days operation until there was no smell of Spic & span. Then a couple more
times.

This has cured almost all.

Mike
[...]

Mercruiser V8 overheating.. noah General 0 July 19th 03 12:32 AM
Boat overheating? Bobo General 5 July 17th 03 02:06 AM
Overheating, Hydrostatic lock, ring gears and starters rayjking General 0 July 12th 03 05:49 PM
Generator Overheating Question Steve General 0 July 11th 03 03:03 AM