Larry W4CSC

Default Overheating Perkins revisited.....

Have you guys ever wondered why there isn't a fresh water flush built
into these systems?

This stuff doesn't corrode in the short time it's running. It
corrodes like this sitting there with salt in it...duhhh..

It would be SO simple to connect a flushing valve from the boat's
fresh water system to the salt cooling system and flush the salt out
of it right after the engines were shut down, then close the seacocks
to keep the salt out of them, wouldn't it?

Hell, for what these boats cost, it could be solenoid operated valves
with a pushbutton by the key saying "FLUSH" like the commodes!

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:18:02 -0400, "Jeff Rigby"
wrote:

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Not long ago we had a guy post that his Perkins was running progressively
hotter.

My brother has two perkins diesel fresh water cooled engines. His also

overheat at RPM's above 1800. We have traced the problem to obstructions in
the raw water cooling. Specifically the transmission cooling. I'm trying
to get him to reroute the fresh water through the transmission with possibly
a partial bypass. This will keep the iron in the transmission from
corroding shut and increase raw water cooling.

Larry W4CSC

Maybe we could get the power grid fixed if every politician
regulating the power companies wasn't on their payrolls.