Steven Shelikoff

Default Overheating Perkins revisited.....

On 20 Aug 2003 10:59:08 -0700, (basskisser) wrote:

(Steven Shelikoff) wrote in message
Zinc anodes have prevented any serious corrosion on this unit since 1982.

Unfortunately, this is one area many people neglect. I've been guilty
of it myself. One year I didn't bother to change the pencil zinc on my
heat exchanger and when I checked it the next year, it was completely
wasted. It's such a cheap and easy thing to do, I won't be neglecting
it again. Fortunately, my heat exchanger is still working perfectly and
engine temps are in the normal range under all conditions.

Takes a real simpleton to neglect to change something as common of a
maintenence item as zincs on a boat. How did you come to decide NOT to
change them out? It is a real simple thing.

What, you can't read plain english? I told you above, I just didn't
bother to change the pencil zinc on the heat exchanger. Now, if you're
truly interested in an answer and aren't simply trying to be just the
stupid moron you usually are, I'll answer why I didn't change it.

In the previous years when I changed it, there was still a lot left. In
fact, sometimes it was hardly gone at all. But my usage of the boat and
the water it sees differs from year to year. Some years it's mostly in
fresh water. Others it sees some brine and some salt water. Other
years, it's almost entirely in salt water. Sometimes, I go back and
forth from week to week or even more frequently. So the waste rate of
the zinc varies tremendously. If the boat stays in fresh water, it's
probably ok to let the heat exchanger zinc go 2 years. But towards the
end of the 2nd year, it saw a lot of salt water use so I probably lost
most of it during that time. The exchanger is still in perfect
condition with no visible corrosion inside or out. It is only 6 years
old though.

I should probably be using magnesium in fresh water. But since I change
waters so frequently, the magnesium would waste away very fast if I head
to salt water. So I stick with zinc. Also, pencil zincs are much
easier to find. In fact, I haven't seen a pencil mag stocked in the
chandleries I frequent. But the zincs have been doing ok so far, so
I'll stick with them.

Now, let's see if you can be a normal person for a change or if you come
back with another stupid smart ass response.

Steve