Default OT Glad for Vonage!

This morning the phones in the neighborhood where I live were all out.
I didn't even know it, because I have comcast high speed and vonage! I
asked the Bellsouth Technician why he was checking the line in front of
my house, because I was going to tell him it's dead to my house because
I don't have Bellsouth. He said he was checking because some digital
device that serves the whole neighborhood went out, and they are trying
to restore service!!!

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:17:38 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

basskisser wrote:
This morning the phones in the neighborhood where I live were all out.
I didn't even know it, because I have comcast high speed and vonage! I
asked the Bellsouth Technician why he was checking the line in front of
my house, because I was going to tell him it's dead to my house because
I don't have Bellsouth. He said he was checking because some digital
device that serves the whole neighborhood went out, and they are trying
to restore service!!!

Wonderful. Our security alarm system sent out a letter recently advising
customers NOT to transfer to VOIP unless they leave a wired traditional
phone line in place or subscribe to a special, new, expensive cell service.

Wanna guess why?

The security company says it is working on a VOIP solution but so far,
it "is not reliable."

If the security company isn't reliable, I'd get a new one.

You've identified many reasons why you can't switch to VOIP. That's a
shame, and we all feel sorry for you.

Maybe your neck of the woods just isn't ready for it yet.

Good luck. Oh, how do you like the D200 and the VR lens?
***** Hope your day is great! *****

John

Harry Krause wrote:
basskisser wrote:
This morning the phones in the neighborhood where I live were all out.
I didn't even know it, because I have comcast high speed and vonage! I
asked the Bellsouth Technician why he was checking the line in front of
my house, because I was going to tell him it's dead to my house because
I don't have Bellsouth. He said he was checking because some digital
device that serves the whole neighborhood went out, and they are trying
to restore service!!!

Wonderful. Our security alarm system sent out a letter recently advising
customers NOT to transfer to VOIP unless they leave a wired traditional
phone line in place or subscribe to a special, new, expensive cell service.

Wanna guess why?

The security company says it is working on a VOIP solution but so far,
it "is not reliable."

Harry,
If your ISP is as unreliable as you have stated, there is no way I would
make a change. For some of us, our ISP is just as reliable as MaBell,
or more so, but are much more of a consumer oriented company.

How often do you lose your ISP connection and for how long? Is this a
local problem with the wires running to your home or is it a problem
with everyone in your neck of the woods?

Comcast has buried all their wires in my area and just never seem to
have any problems. MaBell and the Power Company still have their lines
above ground so they are at the mercy of falling limbs, lighting,
animals,car accidents etc.

wrote:

basskisser wrote:
[...]

Most of the major home security company connect lines do not work with
VOIP, I've since learned.

Harry,

Save yourself the money on home security. Just keep the sign and forget
the service. The cops make responding to a home security call the
absolutely lowest priority call because 99.999999% of them are false
alarms.

By the time the cops show up at at your home the burglar has either
killed you both or has removed everything of value and is in the next
state.

I had a neighbor who left town with a helium balloon in the kitchen, as
the balloon lost it's lift whenever the air conditioning came on, the
home security system would go off. The outside alarm would stay on
until the cops arrived and called into the "home security company". It
would take them 2 hrs to arrive. They said it was always false alarms
so it was always the last thing they responded to.

The sign is as effective as the alarm system.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

basskisser wrote:
[...]

You are correct. We have a home security system but discontinued with the
central station monitoring service a few years ago. The local alarm is loud
enough to wake us up, scare a burglar away and/or alert our neighbors that
we have a problem.

So going with Vonage was not a concern for us.

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:35:30 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
wrote:

basskisser wrote:
[...]

I have no idea why you keep offering me unsolicited advice. I've told
you several times I have no interest in your expertise-less pronouncements.

A deputy sheriff lives down the road a bit from me. I assure you, we
have fast response here.

Unsolicited advice?

To NOYB: "That's probably the dumbest non-political post you've ever made.
Bet you don't know why, either."

I'll bet you'll tell him, whether he solicits your aid or not!

Reggie is just trying to help you not make a huge fool of yourself.

Where did you get the volcano picture? Same place as the owl picture?
***** Hope your day is great! *****

John

wrote:

basskisser wrote:
[...]

NOYB and I engage in badinage. "Reggie" is an asshole. My opinion of him
hasn't changed a bit over the years. He's pretty much clueless about
everything.

Not so. He's provided you with good, thoughtful advice. You should be
thanking him.
***** Hope your day is great! *****

John

wrote:

basskisser wrote:
[...]

And I also see my that my buddy with the white furry ladies hat is back
stirring the pot again.

wrote:

basskisser wrote:
[...]

You putting the make on "reggie"?

JimmyH is my one and only true love. You've not noticed? He's the one I
wear *my* earring for.

***** Hope your day is great! *****

John

wrote:

basskisser wrote:
[...]

Maybe when he finished dumping that boat on his kids, he'll move onto
one of the many golf groups, where he can discuss his penchant for
stroking, shafts and small balls.

I'm beginning to wonder about the fascination you and JimH have with
jacking off, balls, and other assorted homosexual interests.

Are y'all OK?
***** Hope your day is great! *****

John